silkster

Far Cry Movie

Pretty lame if you ask me. The law would block it if I were to buy an expensive bicycle and leave it unlocked in the middle of nowhere to catch people trying to steal it. Crap comparison, but just goes to show how some of these P2P laws are flawed.

But if the OP is guilty ... then ...

Pretty lame if you ask me. The law would block it if I were to buy an expensive bicycle and leave it unlocked in the middle of nowhere to catch people trying to steal it. Crap comparison, but just goes to show how some of these P2P laws are flawed.

But if the OP is guilty ... then ...

Well its been like this since the early 2000s when they started to sue people for distributing copyrighted content.

I'm not saying I agree with copyright laws but the logic is your suppose to check if the file your about to download or upload is copyrighted before you start sharing it or downloading so in theory if people did that they would never come to this point. They think of it this way just because you don't know that your breaking the law doesn't mean you should get off the hock when you get caught.

Edited by fire_storm

Oh don't get me wrong - it's wrong to download illegal content - I don't dispute that in the slightest! It's just the methods and whatnot are quite poor. There are many flaws in these systems, not least the fact that general users are not as well versed in computing and the like to protect themselves from those who are (i.e., wireless bandits and the like).

As of right now, the subpoena is from District of Columbia to my ISP (Verizon). I'm currently a John Doe... Hopefully I can file for Motion to Quash for the reasons that the only MAC Address they'll find was from my unprotected router and that I don't live near their court. May 13th is the deadline.

I'm not alone:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

My IP was spotted in the swarm on Nov. 8th of 2009.

Edited by silkster

As of right now, the subpoena is from District of Columbia to my ISP (Verizon). I'm currently a John Doe... Hopefully I can file for Motion to Quash for the reasons that the only MAC Address they'll find was from my unprotected router and that I don't live near their court. May 13th is the deadline.

I'm not alone:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

My IP was spotted in the swarm on Nov. 8th of 2009.

That movie sucks balls =[

That sounds to me, like you are admitting you acquired the file illegally.

You're saying that movie is worth any amount of money :lol:

Good luck Silky

withstupid.gif

You should be careful what you say because it could be used against you at a later time.

Also the whole unprotected wireless network argument might not work because your responsible for how your internet connection is used it's in the terms of services contract that you signed or accepted when you signed up with your ISP Verizon unless of course you can find the person who illegally downloaded the file using your wireless network and prove they did they may then consider dropping the lawsuit against you.

I got a letter from cox back in the day about warner brothers saying I downloaded 300. I already owned the HD-DVD and a digital copy. I had a secure wireless router. I called cox and they said not to worry about it. Never heard another thing about it. They should be happy Farcry was dowloaded. That means 2 people have now watched it.

I got a letter from cox back in the day about warner brothers saying I downloaded 300. I already owned the HD-DVD and a digital copy. I had a secure wireless router. I called cox and they said not to worry about it. Never heard another thing about it. They should be happy Farcry was dowloaded. That means 2 people have now watched it.

It's almost like a new way to secure funds against a really crap movie that sounds potentially fun. Leak to torrent sites and get revenue from out of court settlements ... for Uwe Boll, it must literally double the takings on his films.

Before this thread, I didn't even know there was a Far Cry Movie haha

This is just stupid. Just wait a year, suing 50 000 people is never going to work. Worst case scenario you'l be paying them a couple of grand. Also, couldn't people that use wireless routers unprotected deny that they downloaded the movie and reformat their hard drives using 7x sweep?

Edited by Jump4h

They use different types of tactics to try to defer people away from downloading things. In your case it sounds like you got a warning letter which isn't one of the serious types of tactics they use to defer people however if the same people cache you multiple times you could be sued.

This is just stupid. Just wait a year, suing 50 000 people is never going to work. Worst case scenario you'l be paying them a couple of grand. Also, couldn't people that use wireless routers unprotected deny that they downloaded the movie and reformat their hard drives using 7x sweep?

Like I said before the subscriber is typically responsible for what happens on his internet connection and using the my network wireless is unsecure and someone must have connected to my network without my permission isn't usually enough to have the case thrown out of court unless you can find the person who did it.

Reformatting the hard drive doesn't work either because even when you delete something a lot with a shredder it still leaves a foot print of what it was. If it ever got to that case were they took the computers to look for evidence there usually examined by computer forensics experts who use the best tools and tactics to recover data or data remanence of what was once there. It would also look suspicious if hard drives in the computer was recently replaced or the operating system was re-installed after the user got the warning from there ISP. If you tried to tamper with the evidence it's likely they would find out about it and it would make yourself look like your trying to hide something which isn't good for your case or if they are able to prove you tried to get rid of evidence you could end up with a obstruction of justice charge against you.

Edited by fire_storm