Spoilers Make Cars Go Faster...Duh

GabrielT

Aero don't mean anything either... what counts is aerodynamic drag, which is rubbish on your SC2. Your car has a value of 0.31, my BMW 1-Series hatch has 0.29 and a VW T5 has 0.35...

Your Saturn SC2 has the same aerodynamic drag as one of these:

mercedes%20viano.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aero don't mean anything either... what counts is aerodynamic drag, which is rubbish on your SC2. Your car has a value of 0.31, my BMW 1-Series hatch has 0.29 and a VW T5 has 0.35...

Your Saturn SC2 has the same aerodynamic drag as one of these:

PICTURE

By your logic your car has the same drag coefficient as that van... because unless all the math I've learned in my life has been wrong.... 0.31 /= 0.35 The difference is double the amount than the difference between our cars. I don't see how my car's drag coefficient is rubbish when yours is marginally better and you paid what...like 10x or more than I did for my car?? Great work :lol:

You do realise that I am not comparing your car to mine, but I am just trying to show you that your raving about your car is getting annoying to everyone on this forum because your information is downright wrong?

Price is also completely irrelevant here, I could have taken some other random car to compare it to.

You do realise that I am not comparing your car to mine, but I am just trying to show you that your raving about your car is getting annoying to everyone on this forum because your information is downright wrong?

Price is also completely irrelevant here, I could have taken some other random car to compare it to.

You just did compare my car to your car :blink:. Is it a sin to really like my car?? I think my car is pretty nice for it's price point.

Price is completely relevant in everything I talk about, I see everything material as "how much does this do for me vs. how much does this cost". I'm not looking for a fight, if there's facts to be heard then I'd like to hear them. (and it is very interesting how average my drag coefficient is considering how slick it looks) Looking here there's a few prestigious cars in my drag coefficient, but I'm glad you got the facts out. I certainly wont brag about that anymore lol

I couldn't (quickly) find the T5 van on vw.de's website but I am still curious as to what the base model costs and also how much you paid for your car.

I know that if I wanted a 200mph, <12sec 1/4mile car than I should have looked elsewhere.

My car will still be very well rounded with a great many things, I'll look into AutoX'n once I get everything where I like it.

The best part is that no one will expect a saturn to bring the heat since not many people tune them up. I don't know why I'm getting flak for what I'm doing, it's not like I'm like "ya dude, I'm gonna drop some 18 inch rims on this and run some low pro's and drop it 4".

Throw two 12's in the trunk and a nice fat exhaust tip" My money is spent right on my car. And MAYBE just MAYBE I'll break $4000 total (That's including the $2200 for just the car) after all the modding and will have a VERY respectable sleeper.

"Born from Shuttles" Saab is going to have a few bricks in their drawers!

oh and King what model is yours?? A 116i, 118i, 118d, 120i, 120d, or 130i??

Never mind: 0.30 cd or 0.31 cd whichever you wish. (psst 0.32 cd)

Interesting it shows 0.30 for the 118d... actually I know why that is, that'd be because of the new big mirrors they put on the 2010 models. The 2007 118d 5-door hatch has 0.29 (just search for CW-Wert).

Where did you get Saab from now? That's not a Saab dude, it's a Merc :lol:

Anyways, as a matter of fact, we don't pay a cent for the T5, it's a company car. My 118d was a fair bit more expensive than your Saturn, if you search for it you might even find the number on the forums here, but I won't post it again. I'm not trying to play down your car, it just gets a bit annoying hearing every two posts how awesome it is etc. blablabla.

My car will still be very well rounded with a great many things, I'll look into AutoX'n once I get everything where I like it.

The best part is that no one will expect a saturn to bring the heat since not many people tune them up. I don't know why I'm getting flak for what I'm doing, it's not like I'm like "ya dude, I'm gonna drop some 18 inch rims on this and run some low pro's and drop it 4".

I am being honest here so do not take this personally. But depending on your location you will be raped at an AutoX and no one will think that Saturn is special, no matter how much you put into it. I have AutoXed at two locations, both are communities where you don't see to many sports cars and tend to be poorer communities. However pull up to the AutoX and its sports car galore. Yes there are a few minivans there fooling around, but there are a TON of "sleepers" as you call them. Unless you plan on putting well over $5k in mods on that car you will be hopelessly outranked and everyone will just snicker when your running. The last time I went to one, again this is a college community out in the middle of no where, there was a brand new Nissan GTR, Mustang GT500, Corvette, newer BMW M5 two EVO's and a handful of WRX's and STI's. Needless to say who really was watching everyone else? No one.

Back on topic though. I can imagine the wings on some cars would help in aerodynamics. But it must get annoying to see that giant piece of fiberglass out the back window on some of these Subaru's.