Spoilers Make Cars Go Faster...Duh

GabrielT

Coming from the Domestic world of Cars: I can tell you that 9 times out of 10 a Hood Scoop is going to be fake. Unless its a Weekend Racer / Show Car.

Hood Scoops are very impractical there not used to "Cool the Engine Bay" The scoop itself is ported/tubed to the Throttle Body/Intake Manifold.

The whole purpose of it is to get Cold air in to the engine itself, which in turns ends up giving the car a better spark/burn giving it more horse power. It also allows "more" air to be pushed in to the Manifold as well.

Reason this is normally only used on Weekend Racers / Show Cars there is no way to really filter out the environment. (aka. Rain/Snow, etc.) You don't want those type of things being sucked in to your engine.

Though there are some cars who have hood scoops that are blocked off, but have removable plates to allow the air to come in, and you can close it up when it snows/rains.

I personally like visual modifications, My car has a body kit / spoiler, and I think it looks great.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from the Domestic world of Cars: I can tell you that 9 times out of 10 a Hood Scoop is going to be fake. Unless its a Weekend Racer / Show Car.

Hood Scoops are very impractical there not used to "Cool the Engine Bay" The scoop itself is ported/tubed to the Throttle Body/Intake Manifold.

The whole purpose of it is to get Cold air in to the engine itself, which in turns ends up giving the car a better spark/burn giving it more horse power. It also allows "more" air to be pushed in to the Manifold as well.

Reason this is normally only used on Weekend Racers / Show Cars there is no way to really filter out the environment. (aka. Rain/Snow, etc.) You don't want those type of things being sucked in to your engine.

Though there are some cars who have hood scoops that are blocked off, but have removable plates to allow the air to come in, and you can close it up when it snows/rains.

I personally like visual modifications, My car has a body kit / spoiler, and I think it looks great.

Yeah like on the new mustangs, you can buy them with the visual scope and it just enhances the car. btw I am in no way a fan of mustangs :P

Edited by greengiant912

Not what we're talking about but I see your point.

We're talking bout cars that have never had hood scoops from the factory with gaudy scoops or vents taped on.

OP:

I also hate the fake scoops that come on stock Mustangs from the factory.

If you don't like something, that's your opinion and everyone is entitled to one. But you should understand that not everyone shares your opinion, you may be the ONLY one with that opinion, and the owner of that something may love it and did it because they like it....not to impress you or anyone else. They may also not like your something.

I know my car looks good and because of that I don't NEED any external mods to "impress" anyone. my car is VERY aerodynamic, rim size is appropriate so other than my future mods for HID's (for better head lights, and I'd pick 5000K so it's the whitest and purest light...not that blue 8000K crap ricers love), and lightweight rims beyond that of my alloys (for better braking, handling and acceleration) almost all of my money goes under my hood.

I honestly don't mind the ricer's anymore, they just oughta know that if they dare rev their V-tech at me, prepare to lose and submit the left lane to the superior car.

I'm going to make sure I do my exhaust last (even though I have a header already) just so that when I'm loud, I deserve to be.

It's going to take a LOT of work to make that little Ecotec fast.

To each his own. Just laugh and move on; it's not your money they are spending.

As for painting carbon fiber body panels - I don't see why that's shocking. I hate the way it looks raw (and surely others do too). :lol:

It's going to take a LOT of work to make that little Ecotec fast.

I don't have an Ecotec :P (wish i could swap in your LSJ though). I'm not saying I'll beat everything I come across but considering I bought my car for $2200 and my friend has an '01 civic LX, and paid $6000 which isn't even the highest model. Even if I were to spend that extra $3800 (it wouldn't cost any where near the expensive for what little more I have to do), I will have a respectable little go cart. Lucky for me my clutch is dying so that means I have an excuse to put on my lightweight flywheel :) and a stage 2 clutch.

I honestly hate how the market is honda infested, stock to stock (not counting the si's) my car definitely had more pull than any civics I've been in. My car is going to be the import killer at the very least.

My car has WAY better aerodynamics, is at minimum 200lbs lighter from factory, and doesn't have the honda tax on buying one. (and a plus is all parts for my car are dirt cheap)

I'm competing against my friend's GSX to see who can get the fastest (of course he'll probably win since he's starting and ending F/I, but I've voweled to stay Natural). Right now he and I are dead even.

and proof that it's not all show and no go:

2uiu2is.jpg

and his evo & his daily:

4rq1y8.jpg

I'm jealous. Very jealous. :lol:

My car has WAY better aerodynamics

:P That won't matter if you never go much over 100 MPH.