The Unofficial Console vs. PC debate

The Smith

Game prices - Most PC games are at launch $50, while most console games are at launch $70

On the subject of social play - PC's have much better Online support, and you dont have to pay to use it, unlike on the xbox. Also, for in person social play, you can have a lan party. so not only are you playing with your friends in the same place, but you dont have to deal with a split screen, and you can set up your own custom server. you can even mic spam them, and if they mute you, you can just talk louder and they cant do anything about it (aside from getting up walking over and punching you)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my argument for cansole vs. PC

In favor of PC's

1: is that consoles are not upgradable And PC's the sky is the limit.

2: The PC games that I have played that are availble on console Usually have better graphics on PC.

3: Controller options are better then console.

4: Not only is able to game but Has many many availbe functions to use. I.E. gaming console and then some.

In favor of Console

1: availibilty of the games.

2: Not near as expensive

3: normally very small compaired (see my rig :P)

Against consoles

1: typically has a narrow range of function

2: can be proprietary

Edited by boinker

Yea, people say PCs are more expensive, but if you really look at how much people invest in console gaming, it is basically the same amount if not more, and they have to have a PC to boot. To get a PC to be able to play games decently, you have to put in some money for the parts, but the games are much cheaper, there are no $40 controllers to buy, no memory cards to fill up, and no charges to pay (unless you are looking at MMOs). I'd say the only thing that consoles definitely have over PCs is the fact that if three of your friends come over without dragging their desktops, mice and keyboards, they will just have to sit and watch you play whereas if you had a console, you could enjoy a nice party game. That being said, I have no friends living nearby so PC is a go for me.

Edited by ichigomonkey

Okay, here are some of my points. Let it be known I converted from console, to PC and back to console (recently). I am taking this thread to relate to gaming alone, but we should consider PC's having other uses too.

For PC:

* Better visuals in most cases than console

* Higher resolutions

* FPS/RTS controls are excellent and unbeatable

* Generally better performance

* Generally faster loading times

* Customisation of games

* Cheaper games than consoles

* Fanbase is generally (not always) a bit more mature

* Upgradability over time to improve performance on the fly

For Consoles:

* Controllers are generally better for everything else (other than FPS/RTS)

* Stuff 'just works' and rarely gets released with significant bugs (though still happens) and hardware guaranteed compatible for life of console

* Cheaper outlay for hardware

* Becoming more flexible for 'other' features (Facebook, video/audio streaming on home network, game/movie rentals etc)

* Rarely if ever do you get online 'hacks' or cheaters

* Achievements make you approach games in different ways (I know some windows games do this now)

* Developers now seem to spend a lot more time focusing on consoles, due to more lucrative revenues

* Re-sale of games, due to no CD-Key requirement

Against PC's

* Hardware is pricey and to keep up with the latest games, you need to often spend a lot of cash

* Compatibility issues with hardware are fairly frequent and require more complex patches

* If home built, no kick-back on warranty failures - you have to diagnose and arrange to replace the parts yourself (albeit potentially still under warranty perhaps)

* Multiplayer in the same room isn't as easily accessible on PC's, without cumbersome LAN parties

Against Consoles

* FPS games are so clunky to control

* Graphics can be outdated quickly compared to PCs

* Game prices can be

Yea, people say PCs are more expensive, but if you really look at how much people invest in console gaming, it is basically the same amount if not more, and they have to have a PC to boot. To get a PC to be able to play games decently, you have to put in some money for the parts, but the games are much cheaper, there are no $40 controllers to buy, no memory cards to fill up, and no charges to pay (unless you are looking at MMOs). I'd say the only thing that consoles definitely have over PCs is the fact that if three of your friends come over without dragging their desktops, mice and keyboards, they will just have to sit and watch you play whereas if you had a console, you could enjoy a nice party game. That being said, I have no friends living nearby so PC is a go for me.

Let's see.

2005 - Roughly $1500 on Custom PC + the many upgrades that came along (over $2000 invested)

2007 - $250 (360) + Free Halo 3 + Free controller + Free Charge n Play Kit = $250 + 3 x $50 subscription ( 3 years of subs) = $400

2008 - $500 (PS3) + Free controller (built-in rechargeable battery) + Free MGS 4 = $500

Against Consoles

* Annoying kiddies online with mics

* Often very noisy system fans

* Any hardware failures can leave you without a games machine

* Official accessories are expensive

Against PC's

* Annoying kiddies online with mics

* Often very noisy system fans

* Any hardware failures can leave you without a games machine

* Gaming-specific peripherals are expensive

Game prices - Most PC games are at launch $50, while most console games are at launch $70

On the subject of social play - PC's have much better Online support, and you dont have to pay to use it, unlike on the xbox. Also, for in person social play, you can have a lan party. so not only are you playing with your friends in the same place, but you dont have to deal with a split screen, and you can set up your own custom server. you can even mic spam them, and if they mute you, you can just talk louder and they cant do anything about it (aside from getting up walking over and punching you)

You can do lan parties with consoles. Consoles have the option of System Link which works like a lan game would. Multiple consoles connected and multiple monitors or tvs. If they don't want to split screen bring their own monitor or use another tv. You can make custom servers on consoles too.

Carrying a small 10-15 pound console + controller + a monitor is much easier than carrying a tower, a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headphones. The PS3 and PS3 Slim make it so simple to transport. There is no external power block and the slim version is much smaller. Sony even said it would be even more smaller if they didn't keep the power block inside. Although they chose to keep it inside because it made it more portable.

Edited by Krazyxazn

MODS MODS MODS!

That is why I will always prefer PC.

Also, just the use of Mouse and Keyboard is superior to any control (except a racing wheel) for most video games, especially Shooters and definitely Strategy games.

You can do everyday work on a PC. Can't do that on an Xbox.(I mean like Microsoft Word, Excel and things like that).

Also, better graphics on PC if you can max them, also better performance. Fallout 3 lags on my friends xbox, doesn't lag by me and I play it maxed out.

PC - 2 : Console - 0

@Krazy, I have heard about 3 annoying online "kiddies" on PC. 3 out of at least 500+ games. When I went over to my friends house to play Xbox there, about 1-2 annoying little kiddies every game. So don't use that as an argument against PC. Also, carrying a tower is pretty easy then again I can actually lift something. Oh your gonna run around with a 40" TV to play Lan at your friends house? Very portable... You could just use a controller for you PC if you don't want to carry around Keyboard and mouse.

Consoles - For the general population because they are easy to use.

PC - For the more "advanced"(if you wanna call it that) people out there, we need to buy our parts and build our computers together and for that we get better performance and graphics.

Each has their Pro's and Con's. I would say both are about equal, but Consoles get more people because of their simplicity.

Edited by Krieg1337

PC games had the edge in about every single possible aspect years ago, but nowadays it's become more of an enthusiast market but without the advantages it once had - or almost.

There's sort of a globalization for gaming going on with the console styled games taking over. Which really lowered the overall quality of games for PCs. It's probably most noticeable but not limited to the user interface and gaming complexity in general.

@Krazy, I have heard about 3 annoying online "kiddies" on PC. 3 out of at least 500+ games. When I went over to my friends house to play Xbox there, about 1-2 annoying little kiddies every game. So don't use that as an argument against PC. Also, carrying a tower is pretty easy then again I can actually lift something. Oh your gonna run around with a 40" TV to play Lan at your friends house? Very portable... You could just use a controller for you PC if you don't want to carry around Keyboard and mouse.

1. I'm not sure what games your playing on the PC, but every game I play and in almost every server there is a someone under 16 with a squeaky voice. (CS, CSS, TF2, BF2, BF2142, CoD 4, CoD MW 2, and many other games with VOIP)

2. No one said anything about lifting a case to be hard. It's easier to carry a console because it's small and light. Leaves another hand to grab other things. Better yet they all can fit in a backpack. Easy and simple transportation. Something you can't do with a tower.

3. Almost every house is going to have a PC and with PC comes a monitor. Not everyone plays consoles on a big HDTV. Some play it on their PC LCD monitors, we have quite a few on OCC that do that. I myself did it for awhile until I got newer HDTV. You transport the LCD monitor to the lan games. Same as you would to a PC lan party.

PC - For the more "advanced"

4. Why would someone so PC Advanced :rolleyes: would stoop down to such a low level and use a controller instead of keyboard and mouse? (sarcasm)

Let's see.

2005 - Roughly $1500 on Custom PC + the many upgrades that came along (over $2000 invested)

2007 - $250 (360) + Free Halo 3 + Free controller + Free Charge n Play Kit = $250 + 3 x $50 subscription ( 3 years of subs) = $400

2008 - $500 (PS3) + Free controller (built-in rechargeable battery) + Free MGS 4 = $500

My Dell that cost $800 with an X1300 could play Crysis, albeit on low settings (still 60 fps).

I do agree that consoles are much cheaper, but not the way you make them out to be.

Pff, consoles are good, but just something about PC's is 10x better. I mean were all computer enthusiasts here and we love to max our games out and get the highest benchmarks. So idk if it's really about enjoying the game, but I think we always try to advance ourselves every time with new parts. :)