Would you ever own a Mac?

d3bruts1d

Would you ever own a Mac?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I...

• already own a Mac.
    • would eventually like to get one.
    • hadn't really considered it before, but after buying an iPod / iPhone, I'm considering it.
    • would only own one if it was given to me for free.
    • might.
    • seriously doubt I would ever own one.
    • had one once before, and have no desire to go back to it.
    • would not buy one.
    • would not take one even if it was given to me for free.
    • don't have a problem with them, but will never use one.

This isn't strictly true. While it may not be supported, it is possible to run OSX 10.5.x on VMWare (using one CPU core).

It isn't fast virtualisation/emulation, but it works fast enough to serve as a learning tool for the OS and Mac apps at the very least.

I know its possible to run OSX on a virtual machine I have tried it before but you have to be careful what you do. Most of the time installing updates causes problems and if you don't install updates you end up with bugs that are annoying or software compatibility issues. So it ends up like you said it works enough for basic stuff and learning how to use it but not good enough to get any real work done.

I'd like to see Apple give full support for virtual machines so then you could just install OSX and use it like your on a MAC.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "seriously doubt I would ever own one" because even if I was given one for free I'd just stick with my Dell...and probably give it to my dad to use...although he's not familiar with macs.

PS. Yes, I'm typing this from my new iPhone but I don't see why that would change one's opinion of macs...they're two entirely different things.

I'd like one when I can afford it (I'll probably have to buy one when I leave University) as in my line of work having access Final Cut Studio is pretty much a requirement. Plus after having a few years experience, I've grown to quite like OSX...

Don't they have Final Cut on windows now?? I swore someone told me that

I put seriously doubt I'd ever own one, it would take them to lower their prices to be on par with a comparably equipped PC and also all the software/game support that a PC has. Only time will tell if Apple will ever be added in my safe company list :rolleyes:

Don't they have Final Cut on windows now?? I swore someone told me that

I put seriously doubt I'd ever own one, it would take them to lower their prices to be on par with a comparably equipped PC and also all the software/game support that a PC has. Only time will tell if Apple will ever be added in my safe company list :rolleyes:

FCP was originally developed for OSX and Windows, but it wouldn't be a good idea for Apple to release a Windows version, they'd lose a big chunk of their high-end workstation sales, with a knock-on effect on the xserve and xsan gear.

i will NEVER buy or own a mac because..

1) you can't defrag your hard drive

2)is underpowered and overpriced

3)is VERY buggy and slow, even the new ones

4) it can't run any programs thus it's ability to not get viruses, which you can easily block with a firewall

i will NEVER buy or own a mac because..

1) you can't defrag your hard drive

2)is underpowered and overpriced

3)is VERY buggy and slow, even the new ones

4) it can't run any programs thus it's ability to not get viruses, which you can easily block with a firewall

OSX has automatic defrag built in since 10.3, plus the HFS+ filesystem avoids small chunks, making defrag less needed. If you want to do it yourself, you can use something like iDefrag

Only if its free. I rather make a hackintosh than buy a Mac. Whenever games are naively available on them, then I'll reconsider making a hackintosh. I just don't like having to look through a list of supported games every time I want to play/buy something.