d3bruts1d

Would you ever own a Mac?

Would you ever own a Mac?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I...

• already own a Mac.
    • would eventually like to get one.
    • hadn't really considered it before, but after buying an iPod / iPhone, I'm considering it.
    • would only own one if it was given to me for free.
    • might.
    • seriously doubt I would ever own one.
    • had one once before, and have no desire to go back to it.
    • would not buy one.
    • would not take one even if it was given to me for free.
    • don't have a problem with them, but will never use one.

My Diablo 2 isn't compatible with MAC. That would have changed my feeling of mostly useless.

Go to http://us.battle.net/, create an account if you don't already have one (this is the new b.net) and then register your copy of DII. My guess is that after you register it, it'll let you download the Mac version. I'm almost certain Blizzard upgraded my regular StarCraft CD Key to the Anthology (aka. the one including Brood War).

What I don't understand is how owning an iPod or iPhone can impact someone's opinion of MacOS. That just sort of seems like admitting to "drinking the kool aid" at that point...

Before I had an iPhone, most of Apple's stuff seemed way overpriced and useless to me. Now that I've used the iPhone, the simplicity really makes sense, so it's not about drinking the kool aid as far as I am concerned. The iPhone OS sort of opened my mind to alternatives to Windows... yes I have used Linux, but it's a pain most of the time.

I see nothing that an Apple can do that a Windows based or Linux based computer can't do.

That being said if I acquired one I would definitely screw around with it but I wouldn't switch from my M$ PC.

Before I had an iPhone, most of Apple's stuff seemed way overpriced and useless to me. Now that I've used the iPhone, the simplicity really makes sense, so it's not about drinking the kool aid as far as I am concerned. The iPhone OS sort of opened my mind to alternatives to Windows... yes I have used Linux, but it's a pain most of the time.

I dunno, I'm kind of with Verran on this one. I've only had my iPhone for two days, but even over time, it's not going to make me want to get a Mac. The only relation they have to each other is they're both made by Apple. So people who use MS Office on their Mac, do you think they're like "wow, MS isn't that bad, I think I'll go get a Windows PC now"? That's like someone saying, I really like my Sony XBR, so I think I'll get a PS3 (not that there's anything wrong with getting a PS3).

Anywho, I can go on and on. I'm not saying don't want a mac, but your reasoning just seems a bit silly, IMO. And it's not like the iPhone is perfect.

I dunno, I'm kind of with Verran on this one. I've only had my iPhone for two days, but even over time, it's not going to make me want to get a Mac. The only relation they have to each other is they're both made by Apple. So people who use MS Office on their Mac, do you think they're like "wow, MS isn't that bad, I think I'll go get a Windows PC now"? That's like someone saying, I really like my Sony XBR, so I think I'll get a PS3 (not that there's anything wrong with getting a PS3).

Anywho, I can go on and on. I'm not saying don't want a mac, but your reasoning just seems a bit silly, IMO. And it's not like the iPhone is perfect.

+1, my Dell computer had Hyundai RAM in it. Doesn't mean I'll be influenced with getting a Hyundai car.

i will NEVER buy or own a mac because..

1) you can't defrag your hard drive

2)is underpowered and overpriced

3)is VERY buggy and slow, even the new ones

4) it can't run any programs thus it's ability to not get viruses, which you can easily block with a firewall

1) king covered this

2) Perhaps the iMac, but the laptops and the Mac Pro are comparably priced for similar specs

3) Buggy? Slow? Are you sure you're talking about Macs here?

4) There is a large library of applications available for Macs, and if you can't find one you need, then you can virtualize Windows and run the program that way. However, in my close to three years of using my Mac, I have yet to come across a situation where I couldn't find a Mac app that didn't fulfill a specific need and was forced to run Windows. Also, the security through obscurity security model regarding OS X has been debunked many times over, so that's not the reason Macs don't get viruses.

what do you mean battery life??

The latest Macbook Pros use new battery technology that gives them something in the vicinity of 7-8 hours of battery life. That's not just advertised battery life, that's actually how long it lasts.

There are plenty of laptops with as long or longer battery life and similar features.

Show me a Windows laptop comparable to the Macbook Pro (i.e. no netbooks) that gets 8 hours of battery life

The latest Macbook Pros use new battery technology that gives them something in the vicinity of 7-8 hours of battery life. That's not just advertised battery life, that's actually how long it lasts.

Show me a Windows laptop comparable to the Macbook Pro (i.e. no netbooks) that gets 8 hours of battery life

Exactly

One thing I do hate about Apple are the totally ridiculous and blatantly wrong claims made in "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads

Edited by Zertz

I still have one even though it has a cracked screen no working DVD drive and a screwed up hdd. It was great till I wanted to do some PC gaming and had this irresistible urge to mod everything. Anyway yeah someday I'll fix it and give it to my Ma who badly needs something to replace her 10 year old PPC mac.

My biggest issue with Mac's is the price. I could never justify spending thousands of dollars for a Mac when I could build 3 PC's with better components. If Mac could lower their prices somewhat I think they would really get going with popularity and take a big share away from PC's.

Many on staff have been harassing me to make this the next poll, so here it is. The console topic got a lot of people talking, and I'm sure this one will stir things up as well. :)

Would you ever own a Mac? I...

man how did I know you of all people would be the one to make this poll...??? :)

Well, D3 makes all the official OCC polls.....

The first one after a quick Google: http://www.acer.com/timeline/home.html

With bigger batteries there are tons of laptops that'll run 8 hours or more; they just don't come with them 95% of the time because they're a bit bulky. Hell, my old Dell ran for nearly 11 hours when I replaced the CD drive with a second battery. :P