Would you ever own a Mac?

d3bruts1d

Would you ever own a Mac?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I...

• already own a Mac.
    • would eventually like to get one.
    • hadn't really considered it before, but after buying an iPod / iPhone, I'm considering it.
    • would only own one if it was given to me for free.
    • might.
    • seriously doubt I would ever own one.
    • had one once before, and have no desire to go back to it.
    • would not buy one.
    • would not take one even if it was given to me for free.
    • don't have a problem with them, but will never use one.

Many on staff have been harassing me to make this the next poll, so here it is. The console topic got a lot of people talking, and I'm sure this one will stir things up as well. :)

Would you ever own a Mac? I...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would own one if it were free. I've had just enough experience with a friends laptop to know I'm not seriously interested. I don't get what everyone sees in them, but to each his own.

If one fell into my lap, sure I'd dick around with it, I enjoy learning new things.

Would not buy one.

It's quite a tidy operating system and the performance seems to be more consistent than some configurations of Windows, but as a development and general operating system, MacOS just simply is not as versatile for my needs (C++/games development, 3D design, gaming, music production).

If I was given one for free, I still would not own it, I would sell it to someone who would put it to better use.

(I use MacOS occasionally under VMWare virtualisation)

Ever since I've had my iPhone, I have actually changed my thoughts on them. Before I thought they were the work of the devil, but not it all sort of makes sense really... But then again, the gamer in me would just say heck no. The only place I can see myself getting one is if my Samsung laptop decides to take a dump. I wouldn't get a regular Mac or iMac or whatever they're called, but I can see myself getting a MacBook sometime, if the bloody things weren't so expensive.

Would not buy one I'd probably switch to Linux before I went to OSX if something happened to Microsoft were they went under or stopped selling operating systems for computers.

If I got one for free I'd probably play around with it for a couple of days and then try to sell it or put it in my old stuff closet.

I mainly don't like macs because of there

1. Overpriced hardware

2. OSX can only be installed on MAC computers (no virtual machine support)

3. Not many games out there for Macs.

4. MAC computers aren't very flexible.

I'd like one when I can afford it (I'll probably have to buy one when I leave University) as in my line of work having access Final Cut Sudio is pretty much a requirement. Plus after having a few years experience, I've grown to quite like OSX...

2. OSX can only be installed on MAC computers (no virtual machine support)

This isn't strictly true. While it may not be supported, it is possible to run OSX 10.5.x on VMWare (using one CPU core).

It isn't fast virtualisation/emulation, but it works fast enough to serve as a learning tool for the OS and Mac apps at the very least.