Unofficial AMD Phenom and Athlon overclocking club

Guest ajmatson

Nominal voltage for the 940 is 1.5v so you can add a bit more juice just watch your temps. I have been able to push the 940 to 1.55v with no effects but on liquid cooling and was able to be fully benchmark stable at 3.99GHz.

What is the maximum safe temperature for the phenom II 940 ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the maximum safe temperature for the phenom II 940 ?

AMD recommends going no higher than 60C under full load, however you'll start to notice instability once you hit 55C and up. Keep the temps under 55C on all 4 cores under load and you'll be fine.

Just got the 6000+ I'm gonna try and push it to 3.5ghz when I get the Water cooler in....

I will post up screen shots on Saturday after I install the water cooler and start finally clocking this pig... Haven't heard anything higher then 3.5ghz? Anyone hear of anyone getting better then 3.5 on this processor?

Great idea, Alan! It would be great though if you wrote a list in your first post of all valid scores, pretty much like we do in other threads. :)

I can submit that, however I do not have any validation... But I was able to complete all benchs at 3.77GHz.

After college, that is after April 11, I promised myself I would use my dice pot, but this time with LN2, and with the PIIs under it. :)

AMD ! shakes head and walks away.......... Not quite ready for prime time yet.

True from the pure clock for clock performance standpoint between even the latest AMD 955 release and and Intel i7 920.

But......

From a pricing perspective you could save a couple hundred bucks by choosing an AMD based rig.

I've been considering going that route just for financial reasons.

New AMD 955 on sale at the Egg for $245 and free shipping

Most of the first impressions and reviews I've read seem to indicate it is a 3.6 - 4.0ghz performer without much work

And AM3 motherboard pricing beats the Intel offerings by a pretty good margin. I'm seeing decent boards priced between $150 and $190 bucks.

Sorry for a semi-jack of the thread. If I decide to throw together an AM3 rig I'll be sure to post up my clocks :)

Edited by wevsspot

Guest ajmatson
Just got the 6000+ I'm gonna try and push it to 3.5ghz when I get the Water cooler in....

I will post up screen shots on Saturday after I install the water cooler and start finally clocking this pig... Haven't heard anything higher then 3.5ghz? Anyone hear of anyone getting better then 3.5 on this processor?

Yea I am going to break it down by processor and post the scores that way we can see who has the highest for each CPU.

I think the phenom II is a lot more capable than a lot of people realize. I know that in certain circles , the diehard Intel boys are not willing to give it much credit- even when i manage to score better in a given benchmark with my phenom II. The phenom II is having to shrug off the reputation the original phenoms had as being underperformers. Amd may have been wise to move away from the phenom name entirely.

I sure hope the AM3's make as much of a leap forward as the phenom II's did from the originals, time will tell.

I am certain of one thing , everyone is better off due to the fact that Intel has a competitor.

• 2 months later...
I think the phenom II is a lot more capable than a lot of people realize. I know that in certain circles , the diehard Intel boys are not willing to give it much credit- even when i manage to score better in a given benchmark with my phenom II. The phenom II is having to shrug off the reputation the original phenoms had as being underperformers. Amd may have been wise to move away from the phenom name entirely.

I sure hope the AM3's make as much of a leap forward as the phenom II's did from the originals, time will tell.

I am certain of one thing , everyone is better off due to the fact that Intel has a competitor.

:withstupid: