Unofficial AMD Phenom and Athlon overclocking club

Guest ajmatson

Guest ajmatson
We should call this the AMD 4ghz club :)

I was considering making a thread for it however, I do not have the time to maintain it. :(

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was considering making a thread for it however, I do not have the time to maintain it. :(

I'd love to as well, but again I really don't have time to spare as im heading into my final year at school soon :( and probs should be more focused on trying to get a good mark *sigh*

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=614309

3680Mhz @ 37 degrees C @ 100% load! Received the AMD backplate and Prolimatech Megahalems cooler today and added an Enzotech MST-81 mosfet heatsink with some arctic alumina adhesive. Used OCZ freeze on the CPU cooler.

CPU voltage is 1.45v. I'm still playing with it so it may have a little more to squeeze out of it.

Had a moment of panic after installing as I jumped right towards 4Ghz and failed. PC refused to start afterwards. Took the battery out of the motherboard to reset the CMOS and now all is well. A very noob mistake on my part :blush: .

Edited to clarify I didn't attach the CPU cooler with artic alumina adhesive, only the enzotech heatsink-I'm not that much of a noob

Edited by rourkchris

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=614406

3795Mhz @45 degrees C @ 100% load. 1.52v. I've tried and failed higher clocks all morning and this afternoon. This is where it will stay stability test willing. I'll test all day into tomorrow and know for sure that this is stable. It looks to be thus far.

No 4Ghz for me it seems. I'm happy where it's at now though.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=614406

3795Mhz @45 degrees C @ 100% load. 1.52v. I've tried and failed higher clocks all morning and this afternoon. This is where it will stay stability test willing. I'll test all day into tomorrow and know for sure that this is stable. It looks to be thus far.

No 4Ghz for me it seems. I'm happy where it's at now though.

did you try higher clocks with higher voltage?? puts some juice into that moose

Yes I've gone as high as 1.55v and no joy. 3.795Ghz seems to be the stable 24/7 limit. Anything over that and it crashes trying to load Windows. Still not a bad overclock. It's just reached it's limit as far as I can see. I've lowered the voltage a bit and am still stability testing @ 1.4875v and a mzx temp of 46 degrees C during the hottest part of the day.

Very impressed with the cooler and the motherboard which I had reservations about. With the added mosfet heatsink I only have $15.00 invested into it so I feel the overclock is good and I came out well ahead this time. Besides I gained quite a bit of experience overclocking these 2 Phenom II 940s. Also found a great vendor in Jab-tech.com. which is invaluable. Really enjoyed the whole experience.

Edited by rourkchris

Yes I've gone as high as 1.55v and no joy. 3.795Ghz seems to be the stable 24/7 limit. Anything over that and it crashes trying to load Windows. Still not a bad overclock. It's just reached it's limit as far as I can see. I've lowered the voltage a bit and am still stability testing @ 1.4875v and a mzx temp of 46 degrees C during the hottest part of the day.

Very impressed with the cooler and the motherboard which I had reservations about. With the added mosfet heatsink I only have $15.00 invested into it so I feel the overclock is good and I came out well ahead this time. Besides I gained quite a bit of experience overclocking these 2 Phenom II 940s. Also found a great vendor in Jab-tech.com. which is invaluable. Really enjoyed the whole experience.

I know who I'll be going to when it comes to overclocking mine then :P

and that is so freaking cool for the freq. you're running.

After about 7 hours of stability testing it's passed to my satisfaction. Now I've dropped the CPUv to 1.475. Temps are @ 41 degrees C full load but the ambient temp has dropped 6-7 degrees F.

I may be going about this backwards but if it passes stability testing overnight I'll drop the CPUv down another notch and do 7-8 hours more testing and continue until 3.795Ghz is no longer stable. Then bump it back up to the last known stable voltage and set it there forever.

EDIT: That didn't last long. 1.475v failed an hour in to testing so 1.4875v is where it will stay. Will continue testing overnight.

Edited by rourkchris

After about 7 hours of stability testing it's passed to my satisfaction. Now I've dropped the CPUv to 1.475. Temps are @ 41 degrees C full load but the ambient temp has dropped 6-7 degrees F.

I may be going about this backwards but if it passes stability testing overnight I'll drop the CPUv down another notch and do 7-8 hours more testing and continue until 3.795Ghz is no longer stable. Then bump it back up to the last known stable voltage and set it there forever.

EDIT: That didn't last long. 1.475v failed an hour in to testing so 1.4875v is where it will stay. Will continue testing overnight.

lol bummer but still I'm so jealous. My Q9450's a scorcher at 4GHZ (and even when it was a 3.8ghz, it was still much hotter than yours), I'll have to see what I can manage with my dad's 940. (I know I keep talking about it and not overclocking it but I'm waiting for some fans to arrive so his case is stocked full with them)

I just noticed that both my 940s peak @ 1.4875v. Different overclocks. 1 is multiplier only and the other is bus speed and multiplier. One's 3.6Ghz the other is 3.795Ghz. Both are different motherboard manufacturers but similar chipsets(790FX/790GX both SB750) Same CPU coolers. Coincidence? Both won't budge higher even up to 1.55v. Both don't seem to be limited by heat either. Strange.

I just noticed that both my 940s peak @ 1.4875v. Different overclocks. 1 is multiplier only and the other is bus speed and multiplier. One's 3.6Ghz the other is 3.795Ghz. Both are different motherboard manufacturers but similar chipsets(790FX/790GX both SB750) Same CPU coolers. Coincidence? Both won't budge higher even up to 1.55v. Both don't seem to be limited by heat either. Strange.

My money is on heat, these phenoms love to be cold, and the colder the better, and they don't like volts all that much. Not sure how hot exactly your talking but, I've seen pictures of a 955 running at 5.2 at only 1.4v

just started embarking on my [dad's] 940 overclocking journey. I'm using AMD Overdrive to find the highest stable clocks and then I'll dial them into the bios for permanent.

I wish I had a windows clocking utility like this for Q9450 so I didn't have to go back and forth from bios to windows a million times.

current clocks are 3.4ghz with 17x multi and everything else stock. I'm only running prime for 30-40 minutes between clock bumps, though I don't see a place to tweak the "CPU-NB" which the one guide I read said you had to or else the chip will get bottlenecked and may cause instability.

Edited by IVIYTH0S