Unofficial AMD Phenom and Athlon overclocking club

Guest ajmatson

AMD ! shakes head and walks away.......... Not quite ready for prime time yet.

I agree that AMD isn't quite up to snuff yet, but they are so much fun to overclock that it makes it a little better. I really like the plethora of motherboard and RAM options they give as well.

I also think that people will be a little happier with the 955 in a few days, it's still no real competition for the i7...but it's definitely a nice step in the right directions :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that AMD isn't quite up to snuff yet, but they are so much fun to overclock that it makes it a little better. I really like the plethora of motherboard and RAM options they give as well.

:withstupid:

I completely agree. Intel has the performance right now but when it comes to overclocking I always like messing with AMD chips.

:withstupid:

I completely agree. Intel has the performance right now but when it comes to overclocking I always like messing with AMD chips.

not to mention it being an overclocking project that wont leave you broke :rolleyes:

I'm going to do back to back comparisons between my Q9450 and the new 940 I have coming.

what's the volts on that?

I was running 1.44 volts at that time. I was able to boot up at 4.1GHZ on that voltage (200X20.5 multi) but when i opened three windows of cpuz and the vista snipping tool it quickly got unstable.

I am a bit afraid to push too hard....as i am not really all that experienced at overclocking. I ran superpi @ 3.875 Ghz on 1.4 volts and the temp on the core got up to 52 C. I am using the stock HSF setup.

I was running 1.44 volts at that time. I was able to boot up at 4.1GHZ on that voltage (200X20.5 multi) but when i opened three windows of cpuz and the vista snipping tool it quickly got unstable.

I am a bit afraid to push too hard....as i am not really all that experienced at overclocking. I ran superpi @ 3.875 Ghz on 1.4 volts and the temp on the core got up to 52 C. I am using the stock HSF setup.

thats awesome for a stock cooler :blink: , I can't wait until my 940 arrives

I sure am impressed with this rig, it seems to love to go fast. I really like my motherboard too its an msi dka 790 GX . If i had it to do over again i might go with different ram tho... i have ocz 1066 fatality edition , and cant seem to press anything over 1000 mhz out of it.... : ( . I went with the 9800 gtx + video card too , which is ok but the radeon 4870 for about 50 bucks more would have been a better choice .

Guest ajmatson

Nominal voltage for the 940 is 1.5v so you can add a bit more juice just watch your temps. I have been able to push the 940 to 1.55v with no effects but on liquid cooling and was able to be fully benchmark stable at 3.99GHz.