ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

The NV40 will OWNZ the ATI card. I have always been a diehard NVidia fan EXCEPT for the FX series. Lets pretend that never existed and then talk about which company is better. :P

ACtually the FX series is a great series for dx8...

My FX5900 (modded to 5950) is a great performer in dx8 games... :D

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok lets stop all the bickering about the past of FX and 9*** Radeons, lets wait and see what ATi has to offer and see if it can compare to Nvidias latest core.. One side note why do Nvidia's mascots suck??? I mean the Fairies were cool but pushing it, now a Mermaid what the heck!?!?!

Edited by Xtreme21

R420= NO Pixel 3.0 shader

is that a fact? where'd you hear that? i've only read stuff about nv40, not r420.

Anyways, i don't see how ati will be able to match the nv40. with the 6800 ultra, it looks like nvidia will regain the crown.

I'm seriously considering getting a 6800 ultra when it's released...how long do you think it'd last? I know there's no "real" way to know the answer to that...but just a guesstimate :) I was going to go with the 9800xt, but seeing as the 6800u is 10 times better, i'm thinking, even for the insane amount of money, it may be worth it...esp. if i decide to throw down another $1k for the next athlon FX.

o, and i thought the 6800u had 256mb DDR3...who said it has 512???

is that a fact?  where'd you hear that?  i've only read stuff about nv40, not r420.

Anyways, i don't see how ati will be able to match the nv40.  with the 6800 ultra, it looks like nvidia will regain the crown.

I'm seriously considering getting a 6800 ultra when it's released...how long do you think it'd last?  I know there's no "real" way to know the answer to that...but just a guesstimate :)  I was going to go with the 9800xt, but seeing as the 6800u is 10 times better, i'm thinking, even for the insane amount of money, it may be worth it...esp. if i decide to throw down another $1k for the next athlon FX.

o, and i thought the 6800u had 256mb DDR3...who said it has 512???

Yes that is a fact that it is uses 2.0. I read it in an article in a search in google and I think on a website like tomshardware. Also if you want to know how long the NV40 will last, look at it this way. It took 2 years after pixel shader 2.0 was released before games really started taking advantage of it, so you've got atleast 2 years. Also the 9700 Pro has been out for at least a year and it still kicks . right? Well the NV40 (6800 Ultra) is suppose to be 2 to 3 times as powerful as the 9700 Pro. B) GO NVIDIA!!!!

EDIT: and the last part about it having 512, it won't. As far as I understand AGP only allows up to 256mb, however the PCI Express NV41 or NV45 will have a 512 mb version.

Edited by Ghost2520

ATI is focusing on improving technologies that are not even fully implemented, such as Pixel Shader 2.0.

Both video cards seem to be fairly equal, with ATI's R420 pulling away in some tests, and nvidia's NV40 in others. BUT, ATI is more efficient in power cosumption and cooling: one molex connector, and 1 slot cooling solution for BOTH the high end and mid range cards.

I don't have anything against nVidia, but I will stick with ATI.

anyone have a link to the nv40 v. r420 benchmarks/tests? I'm on dialup, so it'd take too much time to search for some good ones ;)

(should have broadband in a week though!...finally)