ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been weary about nvidia lately, the FX line was just crap up until the 5950. I think they realized that halfway completed projects are not going to sell.

The 6800 line is very impressive, bringing a chunk of their audience back, but what about budget cards? This link really impressed me: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2196

In some of the tests, the 6600 GT even topped the X800 XT Platinum (not for long obviously), but I think I know which card i'll be aiming for next.

I've been weary about nvidia lately, the FX line was just crap up until the 5950. I think they realized that halfway completed projects are not going to sell.

The 6800 line is very impressive, bringing a chunk of their audience back, but what about budget cards? This link really impressed me: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2196

In some of the tests, the 6600 GT even topped the X800 XT Platinum (not for long obviously), but I think I know which card i'll be aiming for next.

Check out THG's review of the 6600GT, pretty impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems as though ATI have been releasing their Cat drivers that haven't been allowing the X800 series of cards to utilize all 256MB of memory that the cards have. They have been only able to utilize 128MB of the 256 MB. With the release of the 4.10 betas (and will soon be officially released) this problem has been addressed and the X800 series of cards are now able to use all 256MB available to them.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm running an MX440 right now, so i pretty much hate nVidia... lol

I'm buying a 9600 XT in a few weeks, then in another few months, i'll be getting a 64 bit system togethor with a x800pro or XT... or the equivalent at the time

I have been an Nvidia fan for so long since the first generation. But it is the time to change. Even though 6800 line card is very impressive the cost is too high. Ive heard a lot abt ATI n now decided to give it a try. For a start Im getting a 9800PRO which a lot of ATI fan called the "proven performer" so if Im satisfied with the performance there will be a chance for me to close my eyes on Nvidia.

I have been an Nvidia fan for so long since the first generation. But it is the time to change. Even though 6800 line card is very impressive the cost is too high. Ive heard a lot abt ATI n now decided to give it a try. For a start Im getting a 9800PRO which a lot of ATI fan called the "proven performer" so if Im satisfied with the performance there will be a chance for me to close my eyes on Nvidia.

The new ATI cards are in exactly the same price range. The ATI cards pwned the fx series, but Nvidia had been and is now a solid performer next to ATI.

That 9800Pro should do you good for a little while, I've heard that it's a great card.

Close your eyes on Nvidia? Okay, sure. The FX junk pile is no longer current, Nvidia learned it's lesson from that screw-up.