ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just bought a 5950 ultra from gainward and it keeps up with the 9800XT with ease. it kick . in some benches and receives a hard punch in others. okay the 9800XT is cheaper but the 5950 ultra has higher overclock potential!

so in the end both flagships are equal good and there is one thing for certain. when the next generation cards hit the market NVIDIA has an advantage over ATI.

but when yet another generation is getting released tables might turn. who knows!

well microsoft and nvida are both promising a 60% preformance boost in teh 5900 series with release of dx 9.1...so i dono it could be the end of ati..although i doubt 60%..MAYBE 10% is where im leaning

I have always preferred the nVidia drivers and interface, but in the last couple of years I have been using more ATI cards and I actually prefer their GPUs. I am not a big fan of the 9200 Pro driver interface on one of my secondary boxes back home.

But there is something about the manufacturer of the chip making the card that is reassuring to me. And you have choices of the outsourced chips as well. So I am leaning toward ATI as of now, but a couple of years ago nVidia was on top with my boxes.

Awaiting the next generation of GPUs so I can change my mind again,

tsamb.

The only problem I have with ATI lately is all their issues w/ the BF series.....

I have recommended two diff't ATI's a 9700 and 9800 pro for my friend's builds and the ATI cards are running sluggish, however their are known issues for this...

This can be a problem considering we all enjoy the BF series..

BTW my FX5900 -> softmoded to 5950 is running excellent in DX9, no problems yet with the latest games...

I think some of the drivers fixed many issues..

• 2 weeks later...

I am and always will be a nVidia fan. dont know why but i prefer them, although i never really had ati cards. ok so ati beats nvidia most of the time. I just find nvidia more user-friendly and has better driver support. too bad half-life 2 is gonna lag on my machine ;-)

welcome to OCC hope you enjoy your stay..... Phoenix_X

and by the way you gotta help us :foldon:

look forward to meeting you elsewhere in the forums

whoops thought i was somewhere else (coughs and walks away head hung in shame)

i am an ATI fan but i have only ever owned ATI cards so figures really its called loyalty