ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

ATI's drivers are fine, 99% of the problems people have with ATI cards is pure user error. Both ATI and NVIDIA has had it's fair share of driver problems, but overall both are quite good. ATI has been putting out excelent drivers (well mediocre OGL drivers) since the CAT 3.4s with very few exceptions (I did not like the 3.8s, but all the others seemed fine).

SM 3.0 is not a reall factor in anything yet, dynamic branching and many other supposed benifits of SM 3.0 can be done with PS/VS 2.0/2.0b and there is no real difference in image quality. Later SM 3.0 might give more of tangible boost over optimised 2.0b, but by the time that happens my 6800GT is prolly gonna be a lower-midrange card.

The 6800 line is faster clock for clock than the X800s, but the ATI cards can run at a higher frequency, it all balances out in the end. NVIDIA does better in some things ATI in others. Look CAREFULLY at reviews and benchmarks of the games/game engines you will likely be playing, then make a decision. Get a vareity of opinions too, just useing one source for everything is never a good idea.

I'm quite happy with my 6800GT, it performs as I hoped it would. It's good to see NVIDIA putting out competitive products after the disaster the FX line was, competition is always a good thing.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really used to be into the whole nvidia thing, until i got an ati card wow ati smokes nvidia. most people (gamers i should say) say nvidia is better than ati just because it is a more popular company than ati. ati just r0x nvidia. btw, ati is way more overclockable :D

I really used to be into the whole nvidia thing, until i got an ati card wow ati smokes nvidia. most people (gamers i should say) say nvidia is better than ati just because it is a more popular company than ati. ati just r0x nvidia. btw, ati is way more overclockable :D

ROTFLMFAO!

What'd you replace, a tnt2? You're basing your opinions on a 9600xt?? Besides being last generation, and besides not even being the best of that generation. Maybe you should search this site a little more, or find some reviews on the newer cards.

The Geforce3 is from a PREVIOUS generation to the 9600xt. Second, while ATI's 9X00 series did do better than Nvidia's 5X00 series, the cards from the current gen are nearly neck to neck. The GF3 gen was ahead of the ATI cards of that time.

You really need to do your homework, epikz.

Edit: the 9800 and the 5950 cards are the top cards of that gen. The 9600 would find itself not more than even with a later 5700.

lol and a geforce 3 is better than ati 9600? 9600xt is way better than any geforce fx series... maybe not the 5950 but has better clock speeds also

Don't act like an .. I never said mine was better, that wasn't the point of your post, nor mine. But if you like, when i get my 6800GT in the next week or 2, I'll gladly bench against you in anything you want.