The Guitar (or other instrument) discussion

Angry_Games

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sultans of Swing = Stellar

When i was trying to master Stairway To Heaven (my dream when i was learning guitar) i found a guitar mag with the Sultans of Swing tab in it, and believe it or not, i had that whole song mastered (well, to my standards anyways). Thats definetly one that i want to get back into my cranial database.

Guest Blooz1

Yeah, Mark Knoeffler does lots of interesting stuff - "Sultans of Swing" was just a starting point! Ever hear any of his CD's done with Chet Atkins?

I also like "Ragpicker's Dream", find myself listening to those tunes all the time.

Hey cats and chicks, I'm an old 50's rocker who played in a band recently for 2-12 years. We played all of the favorites of 50's fans: Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc.

I have three guitars: Fender Strat (Mexican - My favorite), older acoustic - electric Washburn and a Les Paul Classic - Honey Burst (Selling this one.)

As stated, my favorite music is the 50's, but I also dig blues, jazz, some country (not much) and most classic rock.

My playing lately has been sitting in my easy chair, with my Strat (no amp) and picking any pattern that comes to my fingers.

Been playing Guitar on and off of about ohhh, many years:) . Started on a Vito, which was made in Japan to be sold in Kenosha (Wisconsin), really! lol Then picked up a Flying-V rip-off, put in new pick-ups, a home made ramp unit and a whammy bar. Got tired of it slipping off my lap when I tried to play it sitting down so switched just recently to a "O.C.'d" version of a cheap acoustic Martin by Zaeger. It actually plays very well, but you can't really pound on it due to the close bridge work. Can't beat it for the cost, but now I mostly just turn it over and play it like Bongos or shoot suction cup arrows at our cat because the strings are out of tune and I can't afford new ones because I'm spending too much money on my computers... Dr. Phil!!! LOL! :)

My equipment is an Ibanex RG470 that has an X2N in the bridge and a tonezone in the neck. I've got a BOSS GT-6 pedal and a Line 6 Spider II 75W combo amp and I just plain suck at the guitar. I try, but I don't practice enough.

My favorite solo is by this guy... Michael Romeo. About 2:40 and 4:40 into the song... OMG.

http://www.symphonyx.com/media/communion_and_the_oracle.mp3

http://www.ayreon.com/media/mp3/flight_of_...el_romeo_01.mp3

Some more Micheal Romeo for ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJc6JwDedM...michael%20romeo

Picked up an Ovation around 1976 and have had many lost in pawn:sad: Mostly acoustic, my fave of all was a three piece back Yamaha 380 I believe, it was sweet, my cousin has it now and won't give it up. I have a Bently now, sounds alright. Hey Happy, I've been meaning to ask, how does Neil Young remind you of Dana Carvey? A protest hippy compared to a commodian (hehe) Fave lead, Neil's breaks in Cowgirl in the Sand off the Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. But right now I'm listening to Audioslave!