The Guitar (or other instrument) discussion

Angry_Games

Wow, talk about digging up old threads but I just found this one and must add myself in.

First of all, I must tell you Happy_Games, I am VERY jealous of that Sonic Maximiser! That must be great for your tone.. and other mic'ed stuff :)

AndyOCZ.. handwound pickups!?! Again, very jealous..

Before I was an overclocker I was a shredder, grew up wanting to be a late 80's guitarist (Vai, Satch, Slash, Jason Becker to name a few) but then I grew up and found even greater music (Yes, Zappa, SRV, Zappa, Zappa).

I'm a bit of a basics man when it comes to my rigs though, prefer to have just a guitar and amp, with maybe delay, flange/phase, or wah if need be.

I don't get much practice in these days compared to my anti-social youth (I'm in anti-social adultness now) mainly because my only working amp (yes, I'm looking at you Mr broken Marshall Valvestate) is a raging loud beast and I have this thing about warming up in another section of the house.

I try to get off Steve Howe's "Mood For A Day" at least once a day though, I just love that song.

Anyway, here's the deals ::=

Influences :

Frank Zappa, John Petrucci, Steve Morse, SRV, Steve Howe, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Roine Stolt, Vinnie Colaiuta (yeah, he's a drummer, but very influential none the less)

Gear :

Ibanez RG30 US Custom (like the Ibanez John Petrucci model) - shred machine

PRS McCarty Gold Top - blues back breaker

Carvin Legacy VL212 100w combo - ear bleeder

An acoustic and a classical.

Marshall Valvestate 65w - works, but cuts out and then emits a loud pop. Not gig trustworthy.

I spent a lot of time focusing on techniques for practicing in order to be able to improvise without sounding like I was rehashing Metallica/Megadeth from my learning years.

I also suffered from RSI which forced me to change my picking technique so I now hold my pick with my first two fingers as well as thumb instead of just first finger and thumb. It changed the angle of attack and let me get a lot more tone. (I'm a very aggressive player, I often break strings through vicious bending. SRV had the right idea, high action, hard playing, MONSTER TONE!).

Before I played on a tube amp I held the pick like it was delicate and had razor thin action, now I am on unflexible pick gauge (my strings are 11's, I tell ya, setting up a Floyd Rose with 11's is a PITA) and my action is ridiculously high. But I work for my tone and get what I desire.

BTW HG, Dinky's kick butt

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh

i need to figure out how to run the BBE462 after my Boss GT-8

the GT-8 is so fantastic that I've totally forgotten about the ADA MP-1 and the BBE462

I've also forgotten about playing the damn guitar for about 2-3 weeks in a row as I've just been busy doing summer stuff (summer stuff = got to cram everything in that I won't/can't do during hockey season)

Not sure about after the GT-8, you'd want it in the effects loop of either the GT-8 (if it has one) or your amp, but youll need the effect mix at 100%.

Reason I say the effect loop is because the BBE will work with line level signal and the GT-8 will be outputting Z-level (instrument level). It'll work with Z-level but you're compromising signal quality.

How did you use to have it setup before? (I worked as an audio engineer when I had the chance and signal theory has haunted me ever since).

I worked with Guitar Shorty for years and he uses a BBE 462. His setup is strange and its hard to know how he ran it. He uses 2 of the red knob Fender "The Twin" (aka The Evil Twin), so I know he doesn't use the effects loop, cause only one would get the signal. I believe he runs the BBE last in his chain after his pedal effects, so it must not be line level.

He sounds just as bad with the BBE as without. ;) Great player, crap tone IMHO. Gimme a Fender, a cord and a good guitar and I'm happy.

loops are just something I fell out of practice with...not that I ever had any badass rack systems before...but I did have an old *brand new back then though @ $850) Boss rackmount effects unit, a Digitech DSP-21, ADA MP-1, Marshall 20/20 power amp...and once I got them all running the way I wanted together through a 4x12 Peavey cab...I then screwed up and sold them all grrr

Ive been playing full time for about 6 years now. I play a fender powerhouse deluxe with 25db mid boost mod, tbx tone control, and fender noiseless pickups and I de soldered the resistor on the power pot to make the full 25db. I made an exact replica of the eric clapton strat. My guitar cost 450 and the claptons 1300. You could literally use the wiring diagram for the clapton strat on mine. I play it through a fender hot rod deluxe with tad main tubes and modified preamp tubes. The only effect I use is a dunlop wah pedal all the rest I adjust on my guitar with the modified tone and and amp settings. It really sounds awesome and I can replicate any sound. And buy the way with the mid pickup boost the tbx tone control is needed to cut throught he mud give it a great sound. Dan

@ H_G : I have learnt the hard way not to sell musical gear, I used to have this great practice amp, a Park G15 which had possibly the best tone for a small solid state amp in existence, but gave it off to a mate. I regret that daily. :(

@ danzgpgt97 : Sounds like you overclocked your Strat! I was going to do that with an Ibanez, modify it to be a shred machine, then I found the USA Custom and fell in love with it (and my credit fell in love too).