The Guitar (or other instrument) discussion

Angry_Games

Ok, so I been playing for like 15+ years but I took almost a 10 year break at some point when I became disenchanted with the whole scene.

Momma convinced me to just get a guitar again and forget that whole band thing, and so I have, and lately I have been enjoying it much much more than ever before.

Buying the right guitar took a couple of tries, but now I have the Jackson Dinky that I want (pics will come later).

I also have a very old, modified (haha overclocked you could say) ADA MP-1 rackmount guitar unit, a Sonic Maximizer BBE462, a Crate 65 watt combo amp, and most importantly, a Boss GT-8 effects unit board

gt8case-1.jpg

gt8case-2.jpg

Plus I found a killer forum for my Boss GT-8 unit...one that has, like this forum you all love, a LOT of modified bits. These guys have figured out how to use a MIDI cable to reprogram their units, or create patches from within a user-created piece of software and then send them on to the GT-8 etc.

And the admin of the forum went through a LOT of trouble to create the carry bag that is in those bad pics I just took. Boss/Roland doesn't really have a carry bag for this unit, and so the Admin at the forums took it upon himself to have them created from scratch...and they are of the utmost quality (I just received mine today).

Anyway, I'd like to use this thread to have everyone talk a little about themselves and maybe offer their guitar (bass/drums/whatever) setup, talk about what they like, maybe those of us that have the same amps or effects units can talk shop and try out different settings etc.

I'll throw some pics in of better quality of my setup when I get a chance ;)

Angry_Guitarist

Boss GT-8

Jackson Dinky fixed-bridge guitar

ADA MP-1 rackmount

Sonic Maximizer BBE462 rackmount

Crate GLX65C

some cables

a girlfriend who is not allowed near the guitar lest she kick it over again and ruin a second one hahaha

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing for about 5 or 6 years now. Don't really take it seriously enough, just like to mess around with scales and stuff. Have a crappy Fender Squier Strat, its decent enough to get the job done. But, after having played for awhile and know what better guitars sound like, I want a new one, just really don't play enough to justify getting a new one. Got an Ibanez acoustic a year and half ago, gotta work on that action on that thing really bad...

I play random songs I've made up/learned/figured out, jazz stuff, blues stuff, anything really thats fun to play I guess. Lotta people think I'm better than I think I am, not really good at playing for/in front of others, and if I do, I kinda shut everyone out and just play.

::edit::

Btw, nice effects setup Angry/Happy, was thinking of getting one awhile ago, saw the price tag, and figured things were good the way they are.

I dont play any 6 or 4 strings but I am a dj. I started a year ago with a dual direct drive set with a small sound board, a kick a$$ set of logitech 5.1 surround sound, and a casio keyboard. I am always looking for quality background records as I have just got mine from the back of thrift stores since im cheap. I do have a few songs but since I have no quality records, and since they are just me and my friend screwing around, they are not any thing to be proud of.

Nice setup there H_G.

I too have taken a long break from guitar. I took it in school as an elective and really warmed up to it. Played a few school concerts, nothing big, just a few songs here and there. Was hard finding time after i was finished school, with work and friends and whatnot, so i put it down for about 5 years. I recently picked it up about 6 months ago but with all the recreational drugs in between, i somehow forgot most of what i knew (song wise, not technique wise) lol :confused: . I am now trying to rebuild the archive of songs in my head.

I pretty much play all types of music that my 'talent' lets me play, which narrows it down to rhythm with some cool licks here and there.

My setup: (Will post pics at a later date)

Samick Signature Series Acoustic (Cherry Color Wood backing)

Samick Electric (Green Inner faded to Black Outer)

Fender 75w Amp

Boss ME-30 Effects Pedal

Capo, Slide

Cables

hey I got plenty of guitar tab transcribed if ya are interested...but I know the feeling of having to put something down for years...its extremely hard to pick it back up regularly now =(

I'm waiting for AndyOCZ to post cuz that dude has got a zillion really nice guitars and gets to play all kinds of pro gigs etc

Cool stuff AG.

I have a few guitars myself, probably over 20 at this point. The range from a Flying V to a 50's archtop "jazz" guitar and everything inbetween except I have no shred axes with dive bomb tremolos and all.

My '53 Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent is first, followed by my home built Strat with hand wound pickups.

All of these guitars really sound great and are blast to play.

http://www.andytband.com/Epi_Zephyr_Deluxe_Regent_1.jpg

inca_strat_full.jpg

Great stuff guys.......I have been playin at it for 20years but never been that serious.......Gotta love the blues.......Nothin makes a guitar sing like the blues.....My wife bought me a new 12-string Yamaha Acoustic last year for Christmas Just never seem to have the time to devote to it.....I still have an '83 Carvin DC150 Stereo..Solid

Maple, luv it , no one will be able to pry it from my dead corpse....lol

hey Andy do you happen to have one of those Gibson Explorers like the dude from Metallica has? (without pickguard)

I always wanted one of those with EMG-81's in the bridge/neck

Yeah, I have about 4 of those. That dude from Metallica and the one from Motley Crue are my idols.

http://www.mickmars.net/#

Gotta love the metal maniacs.

hey I got plenty of guitar tab transcribed if ya are interested..

For sure man, how much are we talking here? Can you rar it up so i can take a looksee?

I dont have too much of a collection, just a few (and i mean a few) songs that i have heard lately that i really wanted to play, couple of Foo Fighters tunes for example.

Heres a question for everyone out there. What is the song you tried and tried and tried, then failed, then tried again until it was purrrrrfect?

For me, the song i would have to say i play the best, is Blackbird (Beatles), with Dust in the Wind a close second. I just cant get over how good the fingerpicking sounds :D

I know it's a pretty tough question for some cuz there are so many great guitarists that have come and gone and literally thousands to pick from...

I have quite a few that rank up there at the top but I'm only gonna pick one to get her going...

Randy Rhodes/S.A.T.O. from "Diary of a Madman"...That boy could really rip and there's so many little things throughout the whole song (the whole album really) that were just so sweet. The way he made the guitar weep/wail in the latter part of the song was pure Rhodes. The solo was just one of the tastiest works of art I've ever heard. He truly had a unique sound and I think really helped resurrect the Oz man. Such a shame his life ended so early...

So, ladies and gents, what's the first solo that pops into your head that you feel deserves top honors in your list of favorites?