The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that it was updated, I didn't note the last version number.

I have AVG Free working mint, and I know it's not as good, but it's perfect for my needs.

Edit:

I just checked, and I do still have the installer on another drive, it's the same version, did anyone else try it on 5456?

Start ==> Run ==>secpol.msc.

Expand Local Policies==> Security Options==> User Account Control.

Disable/enable the security prompts by double clicking each policy.

The Explain tab gives a good idea about each policy.

............................................................................................................

Taskmanager transparency

Never noticed this before, do the older builds do this as well?

taskmanagertransparency.jpg

kinda cool looking..and i just found this out on build 5384..half my task manager menu is missing! gah!!

Untitled.png

-------------------

also, how the heack did you get your memory usage down to 500mb? ive hit 850 once but i have never gotton it down to 500..i used to be able to do that w/ XP home lol, got it down to 90 once with the luna theme still on..XP ruled..

5472 uses less memory by design. I didn't even tweak anything, yet.

...................................................................................................

From Windows Vista Security Blog:

· Widows Vista Security Home page on TechNet

· White Paper: Microsoft Windows Vista Security Advancements (.doc file, 222 kb)

· Video: Windows Vista Security Enhancements (.wmv file, 27 min. 58 sec.)

· Windows Vista Security Home Page on MSDN

. Address Space Layout Randomization in Windows Vista

. Windows Firewall: the best new security feature in Vista?

. [bitLocker] Back-door nonsense

. Reducing Elevation Prompts in User Account Control

damnit, I had wrote a big message explaning my problem and server failled to receive it... the damn browser could at least had save what I wrote for posting when it failed to submit !!! anyways, the problem is that I can't accomplish the install process.

I have 2 hd's:

Hitachi 80gb

-----C:System - 10gb

-----D:Programs - 70gb

Samsung 160gb

-----(hidden) backupOS 10gb

-----E:media - 150gb

both SATA harddrives.

I have been trying to install the beta 2 latest version 5472 32 bits with no success... I have resized Hitachi's D: to 15gb less and created a new partition with those 15gb wich became H:Vista. Tried creating it both as Primary and Logical, no sucess.

when I try installing by booting with the DVD in the drive it will freeze just after showing that first Vista loading screen... so it doesnt even start the installation.

when I try starting the install process in winXP it will freeze after the first reboot in that vista loading screen also.

please someone help, it's making me crazy! thanks.

If you want to install Vista, I would recommend starting simple, I doubt you need 70Gb for programs, also I would increase the OS installation partition to at least 20Gb with partition magic from within XP.

If you want to install Vista, I would recommend starting simple, I doubt you need 70Gb for programs, also I would increase the OS installation partition to at least 20Gb with partition magic from within XP.

ok thanks, but I think the problem is more deep than that, because it is simple freezing when try to start installing from boot-dvd.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=464343&st=0

this seems to be the same problem that I'm having.

From Microsoft's site about Vista hardware requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

I've never installed on a partition smaller than 20Gb.

hummm well, I think that what matters is the free space, 15GB, wich I do have, anyways it's a point...

I have done a test with apparent success... I have saved my bios overclocked configuration in one of the 4 ultra-d slots and have loaded optimized defaults... it stopped freezing in the first installation screen... so probably that was the problem. I dunno why tho, since my system is years stable with that config... maybe because im using C&Q ???

So you know, the forum does not recommend using C n Q when overclocking.

Nor is it recommended to install an OS when overclocked.

But really glad you have it working

Could be because C&Q. You weren't running Cool an Quiet while over clocking, were you? Because that won't work.

Vista is still in beta, I would think it's more sensitive to instability. Whether that will change in it's final release, I don't know.