The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Seems like the input from most on the interim 5456 was that it created more issues than it solved.

That's exactly how I feel, still waiting on build 5472, we'll see if it really is that much better. My hopes aren't that high since it is another interm build, but RC1 should start showing the final touches, if you compare it to Whistler's beta stages.

Beaver,

Might be easier to run it non-raid, as that gave me almost no issues, but I would follow soundx's advice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i dont have a loaded gun...its canada... we dont allow guns. period. lol...

but yeah, i gave up on x64 Vista, plus all this dreadful things on many drivers not working on vista x64, but works on vista x86...

so im gonna get that one and settle for x86....

EDIT:

im an impatient little devil........

just backed up my files on the RAID to the storages, boot to Nvraid utility (F10), clear disks, delete array, build array, set boot, boot to DVD.....

voila! that screenshot i posted on my previous post didnt showd up! went straight to cdkey, etc... up to "where to install windows", then i saw 2x80gb, which is odd... 1 is unformated, 1 is fomated... clicked on load driver, followed nvidia instructions, load SATARAID, all clears, i selected the 1st 80Gb (who cares a this point, my winXP is gone anyway), and now loading files from cd...... damn that takes along while.....

wish me luck......

EDIT:

ok, luck runs out lol

finished copying file, extracting installing, reboot:

black screen

then error, could not find /system/windows or somethin like that......... EDIT: the message is

File: windowssystem32winload.exe

info: the selected entry could not b loaded becoz the apzz is mising or corrupt..

im guessing coz even after i added te raid driver, it still shows as 2 harddrives....... then i select one of them.....

Good Luck.

5472 installed within 45 mins (walked away, so not sure how long exactly), and seems to run a lot faster and smoother, so far.

I am definately disappointed in the new rating system, I thought Microsoft fixed it. I went from 3 to 3.6 ...woop-de freakin' doo. MS removed all the sub ratings, to keep users from bitching, I am guessing.

5474rating.jpg

LOL, good one.

It might have installed in less time, I walked away so I wouldn't know.

Etrust antivirus made my logon screen lock up, so I had to uninstall it in Safe Mode. AVG Free works fine in this build, which I actually prefer because it uses far less resources.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=24737&hl=#

From a post by Pyro at the planet

LMFAO, thanks soundx. In my excitement I just checked the system properties, not the actual performance page.

5474subrating.jpg

This crappy video card is killing my score.

Now that the font is smaller in the clock gadget, you can actually write more than 2 letter in it;

ReelTime.jpg

Just playing around atm, checking every little thing out, hehe.

I think this is a new icon, at least I don't remember it.

NewUsericon.jpg

Well, I decided this build is a keeper, I was able to use DVDdecrypter to decrypt my Beavis and Butt-head DVD (DVDFab decrypter fails 3/4 into the disk on every build so far), then I used Super DVD Ripper and Divx (dual core optimized) to encode the files to avi. I gained about 3-10 frames/s encoding in VIsta compared to XP SP2.

I need a DVD authoring program for Vista that's similar to nerovision, but not as bloated, any recommendations? I don't need fancy menu layouts, as long as I can have basic menus, and it needs to be able to burn to a folder or create an image, rather than burn directly to disk. I'll make a thread if I have to, but I figured some of you guys might know off hand.

I didn't run DVD Shrink yet, but it's always worked great on the other builds. I am actually resizing my Vista partition atm, so I can make a disk image of it. So I can't double check, but here are the features listed on the site;

* Copy DVD to VCD, SVCD, mpeg files

* DVD to AVI copy software to convert DVD to XVID/DIVX for travel

* Great video audio quality for dvd backup

* backup DVD to cd

I know there are other rippers that can create a DVD image or write the VOBs to a folder, but none match the speed/reliability of Super DVD Ripper.

No big deal, I'll find something that suits my needs. I want to re-author the DVD, ie create my own menus etc, "SDR" can't do that.

For example; I have the Mike Judge Beavis and Butt-Head collection, I want to rip the episodes to AVI, for back up. Since I don't have a PC in every room, I'd like to be able to author my own version of the DVD, with minimal menus and such, for playback on standard DVD players. I could just use DVD Shrink to reauthor the DVD, but it's still a lot bigger than an AVI, and if I remove everything but the titles, I won't have a menu to chose episodes.

Nevermind, I just installed Nero Ultra Edition 7082, and nerovision works fine, wasn't worth the trouble of having to test new apps.

Finally, a working virtual drive :D

5474virtualdrive.jpg

I was able to get Daemon Tools 3.11 to work as well, as long as I forced compatibility mode for XP SP2. I will be using DT probably, we'll see how both do, with different types of images.

I have to say MS is really getting their sh!t together on this one, I didn't expect half the speed,reliability and compatibility improvements I am seeing.

PC-cillin 14.55 for Windows Vista Beta

Download PC-cillin Internet Security v14.55 for the beta release of Microsoft Windows Vista

Trend Micro™ PC-cillin™ Internet Security combines award-winning protection against viruses with a powerful personal firewall to prevent viruses, worms, Trojan horse programs, and hackers from harming your computer.

PC-cillin also goes even further, effectively guarding you against both spyware and spam as well. You can count on PC-cillin Internet Security to keep you safe from identity theft too, thanks to carefully-designed features that block phishing and pharming scams. PC-cillin even watches over your wireless network, alerting you if intruders seek to take advantage of your connection.

Trend Micro’s new 14.55 release of PC-cillin Internet Security now makes all of these critical security features available for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft’s latest operating system: Windows Vista.

THIS IS A TRIAL VERSION THAT EXPIRES 10/31/2006

http://betadownload.trendmicro.com/pc_cill...staBeta2_02.exe