The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Ahh... thats not totally true, you cant upgrade to basic.. or home, only buisness and ultimate... which btw, makes a lot of sense, if your a geniune home user (basic user i mean), you dont need XP Pro... so why would you wanna upgrade to vista "pro"...

vista buisness is more or less Xp Pro...

and ultimate... well, thats just pro with, propro? :L

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...6a61843a04.mspx

"...Step 3: Upgrade to Windows Vista

The procedure for upgrading to Windows Vista assumes that you are already running a previous version of Windows on your computer. Upgrades are supported for the following versions of Windows:

Windows 2000

Windows XP

Windows Vista..."

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade.asp

"...Who doesn't qualify at all

If you are running any DOS-based version of Windows--including Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition--or Windows NT (any version), you don't qualify. That means you cannot purchase an Upgrade version of Windows Vista at all, and you will need to grab a more expensive Full version instead. The Full versions of Windows Vista cannot be used to perform an in-place upgrade to Windows Vista, so you'll need to back up all your documents and other data, and your application settings, and find all your application install disks or executables so you can reinstall them after Vista is up and running.

Who qualifies for an Upgrade version of Windows Vista

If you are running Windows 2000 or any mainstream desktop version of Windows XP --including Windows XP Home Edition, Professional Edition, Media Center Edition (any version), Tablet PC Edition (any version), or XP Professional x64 Edition--you qualify for an Upgrade version of Windows Vista.

That said, there are some limitations, depending on which Windows version you might be running. Windows 2000 and XP x64 users cannot upgrade to any Windows Vista version in-place. These users will instead need perform a clean install instead.

Who qualifies for an Upgrade version of Windows Vista and an in-place upgrade (sometimes)

OK, so let's say you're running Windows XP (any version except for x64) and you want to upgrade in-place to Windows Vista, despite my repeated warnings. Depending on which version of XP you currently use, and which product version of Windows Vista you'd like to upgrade to, such a thing is quite possible. However, some upgrade scenarios are still unsupported. For example, you cannot upgrade from Windows XP Professional Edition to Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium. And you can't upgrade from Windows XP Media Center Edition (any version) to Windows Vista Business. The following table clarifies the in-place upgrade story..."

upgradetable.jpg

"...What about Windows Vista Enterprise and Starter?

Windows Vista Enterprise Edition is available only through the Software Assurance (SA) volume licensing program and can only be clean installed on new hardware. Windows Vista Starter is only available pre-bundled on new PCs sold in emerging markets and does not support upgrades..."

Please do your homework before posting.

heh, you acctually pasted it all, i thought telling him that was 'nuff :)

i kinda like the new "dividing" of different types...

though it makes it a though desicion of what to buy... the ultimiate is just... expensive

heh, you acctually pasted it all, i thought telling him that was 'nuff :)

i kinda like the new "dividing" of different types...

though it makes it a though desicion of what to buy... the ultimiate is just... expensive

where does it show the prices?

Guest Kobalt
Ahh... thats not totally true, you cant upgrade to basic.. or home, only buisness and ultimate... which btw, makes a lot of sense, if your a geniune home user (basic user i mean), you dont need XP Pro... so why would you wanna upgrade to vista "pro"...

vista buisness is more or less Xp Pro...

and ultimate... well, thats just pro with, propro? :L

No, what I meant is you can't upgrade XP Pro to Vista basic.

That doesn't make any sense to me, wonder why this limitation?

There arent any official prices...i only saw the rumors, ill try finding it...

the home was really cheap... but the ultimate was really expensive...

and KoBalt...

as i said, there is no reason for someone to have winxp pro, if all they will need is vista basic, winxp pro has stuff that arent needed for home users... thats why they dont allow the upgrade, cause it doesnt make any sense...

as i said, there is no reason for someone to have winxp pro, if all they will need is vista basic, winxp pro has stuff that arent needed for home users... thats why they dont allow the upgrade, cause it doesnt make any sense...

I disagree, XP Pro has worked much better for me than Home Edition, and I'M a home user. It's pretty much they KNOW that those of us really into computers will pay the extra cash for a full version, so why not make it mandatory for us?

Yeah, I'm a little upset - but I'll also pay (like they want me to)...but only because I want to play Hellgate:London with DX10.

I disagree, XP Pro has worked much better for me than Home Edition, and I'M a home user. It's pretty much they KNOW that those of us really into computers will pay the extra cash for a full version, so why not make it mandatory for us?

Yeah, I'm a little upset - but I'll also pay (like they want me to)...but only because I want to play Hellgate:London with DX10.

I have to agree. What gets to me is that my gateway laptop come with XP pro and I remember when XP came out a lot of prebuilt PC's came with XP pro even though most home users did not need it. So there are going to be a lot of prebuilt owners who are going to have to buy a upgrade OS that they wil never need.

I guess I can not complain to much though if I have to put out some cash this time for the higher end one. I have not have to buy a OS since ME. I got XP Pro and XP64bit free from MS (yes legal) so I have not had to pay for a OS in 6 years and will be about 7 years when Vista come out.

I read that all of the versions that are available are actually all on the same disk vista , so when you want to upgrade you can unlock it and begin using it straight away. So it should be pretty easy to get the cheapest, then if you find you need features which are in a more expensive version you can go ahead and upgrade.

Centy, 2 things:

a. I really really love your Sig! not sure if it aint too big to the rules, but its really nice!

b. it all depends on prices...

if they will say, you get a cd, with all the vers...

ver a costs 250, ver b costs 300

buy a now, if you want b later, the max you will be pay is 50 $, then hell, thats a sweet deal...

but it depends if it will really be that delta between the prices...