The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

gdogg, PLEASE fix the location in your signature before posting again.

I was trying to explain in post #239.

I need to start the Vista install from within XP/x64 and when asked to load drivers I put my F6 disk in and copied 5 drivers one at a time. think they were

RAID Class Device

RAID Class storage

nVidia PATA Controller

nVidia Serial ATA Controller

nVidia Serial ATA Controller

(Think I needed the controllers to see the other OSes after loading Vista.

The nVodoa site does have a Vista BETA nForce driver up with full instuctions in the "installation Instructions" on the same page to load in a different method.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kobalt
I know its hard to belive, but I am right,

cause it killed 2 boards, 1 expert, 1 sli-dr (I bought today)

all it took to kill the expert, was go into sleep mode

and the sli-dr shut it down

but how it gets the ability to corrupt the bios, is the NVRaid I belive, cause no one else is getting these issues, is anyone able to run vista on an NVRAID stripe (raid 0) and not get this issue?

Ok it might not of killed the boards, since its looking like bios corruption, but without a bios flasher I cant prove it.

I think the main thing is NVRAID + Vista = bios corruption.

Vista don't write to the BIOS. It would have no need to, and it can't be just a 'generic' BIOS routine, it would more or less have to be specific for each board maker.

Something else is going on with your system.

I disabled defender....

but I did for giggles load Vista to a older box....just to see if it would work...it does...

Here is what I loaded it on...

Biostar M7VITpro (via km266 nb.) Athlon 2400-XP @ 2.0ghz

512 generic ddr2100 (266mhz) 37.4gb HD ATA 100

GeForce2 MX400 64mb vid card 4x's (slow but good)

loaded fine not 1 error loads alittle slow and memory usage is 64% with defender off and 68% with it on...

Performance and rating score....1

cpu 2400-xp 1.1

ram 512mb 2.0

HD 30g free 37.4 3.6

graphics 2.0

gaming gf'x none 1.0

I thought this would be fun just to see how well it does on an older box....

seems fine...I think another 512ram and it would be good....

No Glass but the sidebar still works good...

I installed on an IDE drive, but my perf problems are still there. Even if I leave it just at the desktop, after a few minutes it seems performance is no bad it's asking me to disable desktop composition. This is with the latest NVidia driver and the PCI Express Root driver. I'm thinking that this is due to PCI-Express not being done properly. Oh well, I'll wait until RC1

maybe... Ive done it on via km266, K8M800 with nvidia cards and performance was fine for me... the km266 only has 512 of ram... it takes abit to load to the desktop but once it gets there it runs fine...I am on it now....

I had this problem I think, does it just keep flashing the cursor instead of booting?

If so, you need to get rid of the system volume information. The way I did this is by removing the drive that had vista on it, while I installed XP on another. Once I was booted into windows XP,I attached the vista drive then copied all the stuff i wanted off the vista drive to XP drive, then shut down and remove the XP drive. I then used fdisk from my Fedora Core 3 rescue disk, to remove the partition information (and everything else) from the vista drive. save partition table and exit. Now shut down the PC once more and reattach the XP drive and keep the vista drive connected. You should now be able to boot.

You may have a different method of removing the system volume information, All that matters is that it is removed. If you only have one drive, with all your data on it that you want to keep, YOU WILL LOSE YOU DATA.

Hope you get it sorted, one way or another.

My drives are all SATA, I don't think you should plug and unplug IDE drives while the system is on.

well...some bumpage with a little update...

i am now dual booting with boot loader thingy within Vista x86 (32 bit)

all i did was clean off a couple partitions...merged them as to have ample space...(60gigs)

Install the DVD into DvD drive

Install on new Partition..i think its F:

and voo_ala...follow a few simple instructions during setup...mainly to let it take its time

and now it dual boots with option of old os or vista.

the only problem other than my wireless card was my printer

i got the card issue workd out..now i just got to sit down and play with the network printer settings....i have a nice little wireless router with the print server(real handy in being able to arrange things), but cant seem to get any settings to work with the printer...i think im just tired and will have soon after waking up..will post back..

oh yeah......does anybody know how high up the rating scale goes...? i rate a 4 overall

and i ilde with what appears to be around 400mb ram used for system

when i acess the task manager i do get a little spike in usage as normal, but no maxing it out

Guest erico
Is everyone running Vista in dual-boot?

Not sure if i want to have it as my sole OS yet... :P

And also, if i Dual Boot

1) will all my documents still be viewable in Vista seeing as they've dropped the "My" bit and:

2) Dual-booting won't format my HDD will it?

Sorry, bit of an OS n00b :P

I am dual booting with Win XP Pro x64 and Vista x64. Dual booting requires that you decide which drive and which partition will be used. Format decision is yours. Being able to view your documents is dependnt on the software that you have running on Vista. I have lost nothing and can choose which OS I want when i boot.

I put each OS on seperate SATA drives as a precaution. It took me three tries, two downloads wand two DVD burns to get it working. I have not had any problems with the new OS yet. :)

Success!!

did anyone install from a virtually mounted DVD drive? maybe that was the problem, since I used daemon tools instead of wasting an 8GB dvd

It's not 8Gb dual-layer (DVD-9) it's 4.4Gb for the larger x64 version, which will fit on a standard single-layer DVD (DVD-5).

And how did you do that? Doesn't make any sense to me, since virtual drives only work while the OS is loaded. Once it reboots there is nothing to finish the installation from.

I wouldn't go to crazy about the rating, they don't make any sense anyway, if you add up the individual ratings and divide it by the number of ratings, it'll be way off. I get a 3 but according to my calculations it's 4.62 so 4 or 5 would be more accurate.

Post #24 has all the info needed to redirect the "Documents" folder

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...58&postcount=24