The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

I actually had less trouble running Mac OS X Tiger on this machine, besides the font during install was missing most of the characters. I basically just guessed my way through it. I used to run Ubuntu and Linspire on this PC with no problems, but the new Kubuntu for x64 gave me a ton of problems during install.

My main complaint with Windows XP and earlier versions was the reversed security policy (compared to most other OSs). I think Microsoft is finally getting on the right track now, but still have ways to go in finding the right balance of security and usability.

0,1425,i=27770,00.gifew_spacer.gif

Microsoft Putting Vista Under 'Black Hat' Spotlight

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,19761...3119TX1K0000594

Legitimate 'rootkits' soften Vista security

http://www.builderau.com.au/program/work/s...39257641,00.htm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok lets start, I downloaded and burned the Vista beta 2 public preview installed it to my NVRAID.

So now how might you break a motherboard by just installing vista, well you cant, but if you suspend the machine, or shutdown from vista, you will kill the motherboard, this is happening I think, cause of the NVRAID in vista, writing to the bios at shutdown, the error is definaly a bios that just wont post.

I have lost two boards from this now, first board I just though it was bios corruption, but after killing a brand new board, by just going to vista, and shutting down.

One DFI Nf4 Expert SLI-DR

One DFI Lanpart NF4 SLI-DR

can anyone help me fix this, is it fixable, is it even known about?

plz anyone, I need help

hello can anyone help me, vista beta 2, has killed 2 of my dfi motherboards, I need a computer, I just got a brand new motherboard today, that worked fine, til it booted to vista, then shut down, then it wont post the bios anymore, it gets stuck right before it would search for IDE drives.

This was vista running on a NVRAID

Guest Kobalt
hello can anyone help me, vista beta 2, has killed 2 of my dfi motherboards, I need a computer, I just got a brand new motherboard today, that worked fine, til it booted to vista, then shut down, then it wont post the bios anymore, it gets stuck right before it would search for IDE drives.

This was vista running on a NVRAID

Just how did vista kill your mobo? I would check components first, before blaming vista. Which DFI boards were they?

First thing we need to do is have you change your location to a valid country

ie: Atlantis, France

The "Country" is needed to give you correct warranty procedure and info.

Secondly I'd recommend a full CMOS Clear - from the "ExRoadie Chronicles"

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...16&postcount=19

thirdly,

Don't know if this will help anyone but Pain79 and I were talking about his install in this PM.

hey soundx just wanted to see if ya by any chance deleted my thread or moved it i cant find it .. was the multi boot partion thread.

Yes I did, yu should have gotten my reply and notice that I was deleting it.

You need to post in the "UnOfficial Vista Beta 2 Thread"

But to recap, what I was saying is this.

This is a RAID array correct?

You have 3 partitions.

XP32 on 1st partition

Blank 2nd

XP x64 Edition or Vista x64 on the 3rd maybe?

1st, I'd suggest the second OS be on the second partition (it will be faster that way)

2nd, If you are going to use x64 Edition (Free 120 day Trial I would imagine). You need to boot into install with the CD in. You'll need the x64 F6 disk (you'll have to DL and make a floppy). It will auto find the second partition and then immediately press F6 to let x64 you are going to need the F6 drivers.

When asked load them both. Continue with install.

3rd, If you go the x64 Vista route.

Start install by starting disk from x86 (partition #1)

It will ask you to load drivers before it starts.

The only drivers it will take are the x64 F6 floppy.

It will find 5 drivers on the disk.

load them all one at a time.

Then begin install.

4th, now if you are going to use Vista x86 I would assume it will work the same way but then need the 32bit F6 RAID drivers.

GL

Carl

Thx for reply , just lil confused i can restart my comp with xp pro or vista 64bit without hurting my primary winxp 32bit install at alll? how would it detect second partion if the primary boot drive is xp 32bit.. btw thx for help and reply

Well you'll be doing a "multi-boot".

Right before it boots a screen will come up asking you to chose Windows XP Professional or Windows x64 Edition.

You then have 30 seconds to choose.

If you don't do anything, it will automatically choose x64 Edition and load it. (This can be edited to boot 32 bit 1st) Not a big deal trust me.

Now if its Vista the screen says Microsoft Windows or Earlier Windows Installation. Same deal.

I highly recommend x64 Edition. It has been my main OS for a year. It is virtually identical to in looks to XP Pro x86 but is very stable. Most of the drivers you will need for it are available and most of them also work in Vista x64.

Vista is still a Beta OS that does have issues and consumes an enormous amount of resources/memory.

IF any of the OSes become corrupted you will have to do a repair install or a FULL re-install.

Since you are using RAID trust me when I say that many people have issues setting it up on x64 and x64 Vista.

First thing you will need is an x64 F6 disk. I used the drivers from 6.67

Normally I'd point you to www.planetAMD64.com but their Download section may still be down. Check the DFI.com.tw site. nVidia site also has a Beta Vista nForce download.

Pretty basic run through but I hate to see anyone with a rig down.

It would all be a lot easier loading from a non-RAID setup. at least you'd get a chance to experiment.

A basic OS install will run you about an hour and then a couple more to load important programs .

Now I think you have other problems. I've put both windows Vista 32bit and 64 bit on my Expert board and went back to XP Pro with no ill effects.

I made an image with Norton ghost, then did an upgrade to Vista 32 bit, did not appreciate it and reloaded the image with Ghost back to XP. I then tried Vista 64 bit and after 24 hours of that I restored my XP. I'm now considering dual load just to try to give them benefit of the doubt. I really don't like it since it has total control. Many of my programs won't work since they disregard DRM.

Don't forget, this is beta 2 and unsupported. It isn't likely that MS will listen to what you are saying since you had to agree to accept the risk.

I know of no bios interaction that could harm the board. Have you checked HardForum. They usually have a lot of interaction on new stuff.

I highly doubt Vista kiled your mobo. As stated earlier you better lower any overclock back to stock settings (not auto). Run Memtest from the bios, then follow the install procedures mentioned in soundx98's post. Report back any error messages you get.

If you had a serious virus it might have corrupted your bios, but seems very unlikely.

but it didn't kill 1 board, it killed 2, 1 expert one sli-dr

both, from shutting down vista, with a NVRAID stripe for a hard drive.

I think this has something to do with the error

I know its hard to belive, but I am right,

cause it killed 2 boards, 1 expert, 1 sli-dr (I bought today)

all it took to kill the expert, was go into sleep mode

and the sli-dr shut it down

but how it gets the ability to corrupt the bios, is the NVRaid I belive, cause no one else is getting these issues, is anyone able to run vista on an NVRAID stripe (raid 0) and not get this issue?

Ok it might not of killed the boards, since its looking like bios corruption, but without a bios flasher I cant prove it.

I think the main thing is NVRAID + Vista = bios corruption.

Ok, I was thinking the same thing, no juice, it might come back, the expert after 3 days, no go still, the sli-dr though, I just got working again, just pulled the plugs, and battery for 3 hours.

soundx , you got it working and its not messed up, I wonder why I get bios corruption every time then, hmm. Anyway can I or you get the vista nforce driver version your using there or the link to the ones you used? I was using the nvidia vista beta 2 drivers, added the raid drivers, and a clean install of vista, and arrived at the bios corrupt state, twice, with 2 motherboard, albeit 1 is working again, the other is not.