Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TUrn of skew increase, but leave the 245 there. Dunno why, but it seems to work for me better than 0 in that feild.

Try tighening MAL and RP too...I use 7/5, and higher does not seem to help me, with 4400+. 8/5 works best with my 148.

Don't forget to try the yellow, and adjust buffer skew accordingly!

Idle cycle limit 256 and enabling dymanic counter can help stability as well.

DS/DDS @ 4/1 tref 3672(or is it 3762?!?) work well together too.

I have try 4672.., 3684 too.. 3672 i don't find this tref on my list, the most close are 3684 (100, 1.95ns) or 3632 (100, 7.8ns)..

the bios set the Tref if auto is use at 0032 (200, 1.95ns.), it's certainly for 200mhz (400mhz DDR) cause the 3 differents spreads in bios are for this speed..(133-166-200mhz) and i don't think can boot in windows with this..... i can tell you the timings i have use above ( in my first post, A64 info screen) are stable at 550mhz, my DDR are revision 1.1, so perhaps you can begin by this... i hope have find the good timigs for OC before you have the kit and can share with you result..

Edit::::::::::::::::

I have try yellow, the kit work exactly same in the yellow slots.. stable too at 275mhz, but this not solve my OC prob... need say i have not too much time today for tweaks.. so will see later..

One ask::: How are you setting the page memory under advanced performance tab of windows.. the Win recommend something around 3069Mo....

Go a page before on this tread and use the settings i post for 550mhz... ( there's a screen i have post with most stable settings i have find at 550mhz

You have the Corsair TwinX 2048-4400C3 Pro? right .. mine are revision 1.1

Just begin like this...

200mhz (1:1)

CPC enable. (1T)

4 ( 3)

4 ( 3)

leave all the other following settings in auto for begin.. then try tight them..

but not the Tref::: ( auto Tref give me crash directly) try 3120..

Dram Interleave enabled

ODD disable

auto (DQS)

auto

delay 300ps

dram drive strenght: try 4 or 6 ( perhaps 8)

DDDS: level 1

MAL ( max ayncro latency) auto ( or work between 7-8)

Read Preamble: auto ( or 5.5 - 6 - 6.5)

Idle cycle limt.. try 16 or 64 Cycle ( can be 256)

RW 16x

Bypass 7x (4x for stability)

32 bytes... i have use 4 and 8 ( look more stable with 8 for me at this speed..)

This settings look stable for me ( with my opty) at 550mhz, at 2.76V ( Prime have pass so

far i have test, SUper Pi32M, 3D 01-> 06 in games: fear, BF2, GW, HL2 / CS source etc..)

Never have a crash in use, but i just have the Corsair since some days, so pehraps need be tweaked more for a Prime like 12-13Hours...

Certainly some or many timings will change for you.. your CPU is a dual Core ..

I use the bios 043C ( cause the Raid Uli bug for DDDS)

Well... Since I've been pretty ill and I could not go outside because of medication, I had plenty of time to struggle with this board and issue.

You guys really dont want to know how many times I flashed the bios and reinstalled windows time and time again... Changed the ULi latency to like every imagineable value etcetera.

I've got so many different outcomes that it's like there is no real thing or setting to blame.

BUT, this morning I got like wazzaaaaa and started flashing, killcmossing and f_testing.

What you need:

1) A bootable diskette (create one in windows)

2) Extract these files to the disk: http://www.tjuh.nl/william/DFI-street.zip

3) A DFI latest BIOS flash disk: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/R5D_043C.exe

Make sure your virusscanner is disabled because it can block the access to killcmos.com (for more info: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2969.html)

This is what I did, and I did really stress the HDD's as much as possible and haven't got any error since... Yet...

1) Reboot PC and let it boot from your 1,44MB bootdisk

2) run killcmos (and let reboot from bootdisk again)

3) run f_tester

4) switch bootdisks and run autoexec.bat from the BIOS flash disk

5) when finished press F1 to reboot and when the POST says CMOS checksum error press F1 to continue and switch the disks again, so boot from the killcmos/f_tester disk

6) run killcmos (and let reboot from bootdisk again)

7) run f_tester

8) switch bootdisks and run autoexec.bat from the BIOS flash disk

9) when finished press F1 to reboot and when the POST says CMOS checksum error press F1 to continue

10) Reboot and let the BIOS flash disk in and let it flash again

11) Reboot and let the BIOS flash disk in and let it flash again (third time in a row)

12) Reboot and switch off power supply when the Silicon Image BIOS loads

13) Set CMOS jumper to clearCMOS

14) Remove battery for about 5-10minutes

15) Put battery back, and set CMOS jumper back to normal position

16) Switch power supply back on

17) Boot up system, and enter BIOS

18) Set time and date, save and exit

19) Enter BIOS and change it to your personal settings...

This is what I did, and I haven't seen an error, yet. The latency is still 128 and I did not make any changes in the SouthBiridge configuration in BIOS.

Let me know if it helps, or reduces the amount of errors. At least it has reduced the errors, but I havent got an error yet either.

Good luck, and have fun... I so hope this is IT because I'm getting sick and tired of this motherboard.

Edit... Ok, this helps, a lot! But still got some errors... WTF is this!

I'll continue testing... So I tried changing latency and enabled ULi HPET. This gave me an error too. (I found the best testing method to be HD Tune 2.52. It's been a long time since I've seen errors on HDTach but HD Tune will sometimes bring up an error in the eventvwr and a very short lockup)

Screwing some more time with testing... Roger.

Update!

Well, I don't want to be too optimistic but I've been torturing my ULi RAID setup (2x 36GB Raptor) and 1x 160GB Maxtor with HD Tach, HD Tune and SiSoft Sandra for over 1hr now and it looks near impossible to generate the error! I flashed like above and set p2p thing queue depth to 4...

Update 04/07/2006

Here's what I've achieved, and how:

I can run HD Tune 2.52 and HD Tach as much as I like, without errors!

I can defrag my disks without errors!

I can copy 15GB's of DVD files within my raid array without erros or lockups!

What I set in BIOS:

- Read all the above!

- Enabled ULi HPET (https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/CEC/mm-timer.mspx)

- Set P2P Queue size depth (or sth like that, it's default on AUTO) to 3

What I installed in Windows XP Pro SP2:

- Integrated 2.20 drivers from www.nvidia.com and did not disable the utility, but disabled write cache (so it IS possible with two Raptors!)

What I also found out:

When testing all this my CPU was running at 250*9 and memory at 250MHz - 2.55V.

This morning I set my cpu to 313*9 and divider at 166MHz. So almost 260MHz on the memory. I started testing and got some errors :confused:

I upped the DRAM voltage to 2.57V and the errors disappeared!

Will you guys please try this to see if this helps for you too? I have not used powerstrip or whatsoever!

ChkDsk

P.S. I have to wait to see if there are any 2hr+1min lockups coming up, but I'm not expecting them :P

Hi ChkDsk,

Tried your suggesstions but still getting the m5288 errors.. Though I have not reformatted.. but I don't think that reinstalling XP helps in this case.. done it a couple of times in the past 4 months or so and the problem has never changed..

Thanks for your hard work.

-Toby

I've been having these problems with a single drive and frankly I'm just fed up with it. I've kept quiet until now because I wanted to try some of these suggestions, but none seem to work. I've tried Powerstrip, tried changing memory and Southbridge timings, installed the latest ULi drivers (w/o reinstall of Windows), upped the Southbridge voltage, I'm still getting these errors. However, I did play around with the hard drive drivers and this seemed to stabilize the system more during light hard drive activity (Winamp, skipping was really . me off...):

Device Manager -> Hard Drive properties -> SCSI Properties tab ->

Enabled "Disabled taggeed queuing"

Enabled "Disable synchronous transfers"

Device Manager -> ULi SATA/RAID Controller -> ULi Settings ->

Enabled "Enable Native Command Queue"

Even after this, the system still received the errors, boot times were ridiculously long, but at least the desktop was "snappier". Finally said f*** it and enabled the Silicon Image controller. I find it ironically amusing that the SATA 1.5 is faster than the SATA 3.0 on a board designed for overclocking. I'm definitely willing to test more, but now at least I know I can participate in the weekly LAN game without stuttering.

ARRGGGHH! When's the next BIOS update?!?!

Jimi,I dont think we'll get any support on this issue to be honest.First they dont think there is a problem(regarding the techs on this page)

When I called DFI they were WHOLELY unaware of the issue the response I got from the tech on this page was that the tech was new and maybe didnt know(unfortunately,him being new was nothing more than a lie as I talked with that particular tech 3 years ago YES I REMEMBER WHO I spoke with it was a very expensive call,ironicly having to do with RAID issues on a dif board)

And being treated like we don't know what were doing when it can be said that how could so many people be doing the same things wrong with so many dif hardware configs.

I'm done with this mobo and DFI because of the "misinformation" I was given regarding the issue.

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR THOUGH....

Under the SIL running RAID 0 I am getting extrordinary results and excellent performance but I'd like to use my sataII drives.

Besides the last post from any "official" support from DFI was HOW LONG AGO?

CFX3200(BIOS 425)

AMD 4000 (Zalman cooler)

OCZ GX 700

2G Corsair XMS 3200 Twinx2048-3200c2pt (2326 CAS2)

Audigy 2ZS

ATI 1900xtx

2x120G Seagate SATA I on the SIL

Hmmz.. Too bad to see this. It really helped me out! No more winamp loops, and copying large files and benchmarking works like a charm! Maybe play around with the P2P Queue depth setting, that was (in combination with memory) the finishing touch... I intalled the Integrated 2.20 like four times at the same Windows installation... Sucks, but I'm a bit happy... :)

Do I have to enable anything in the BIOS, if so, what, to get Crossfire to work? I just got a worse score on 06 after enabling Crossfire in the Cat 6.6's...soemthing I need to change in the BIOS? I have no idea