DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took the plunge today , and ordered the expert from monarch, anything I need to know or prepare before transfering everything I have in my sig to the new mobo?

Please see my sig for current specs, planning to mildley OC same as in sig

any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Guest achapman
Just took the plunge today , and ordered the expert from monarch, anything I need to know or prepare before transfering everything I have in my sig to the new mobo?

Please see my sig for current specs, planning to mildley OC same as in sig

any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Thanks

be prepared to wait awihle, I ordered mine last week, and their just now shipping it out tomorrow the 18th. And I paid for overnight when I ordered it!!!

Is there a "cold boot bug" on the expert ?

Sometimes when I start my system the power led blinks and the display gets no signal. I must then turn off the PC by pushing the on/off botton for a while.

And the fan of the grafic cards is very loud at start up (I hope they won´t get defect). Loading the drivers and it is silent. Is this nomal ?

Is there a "cold boot bug" on the expert ?

Sometimes when I start my system the power led blinks and the display gets no signal. I must then turn off the PC by pushing the on/off botton for a while.

And the fan of the grafic cards is very loud at start up (I hope they won´t get defect). Loading the drivers and it is silent. Is this nomal ?

Try this test.

Shutdown the rig. Turn the power on the PSU to OFF. Press the power button on the rig. Turn the power on the PSU to ON. Press the power button on the rig.

Perform this test several times in a row and post back with the results.

That is normal. My old Sapphire X850XT stock fan used to do that. The same thing goes for case fans that are hooked up to the mobo. I had a case fan hooked up to the cpu fan plug, and the fan would first turn on really bright (blue led fan), then it would dim out, and then slowly go fast again.

It's mostly because they have the temp sensor options, and it's safer for a fan to turn on full speed first, rather than really low speed.

Try this test.

Shutdown the rig. Turn the power on the PSU to OFF. Press the power button on the rig. Turn the power on the PSU to ON. Press the power button on the rig.

Perform this test several times in a row and post back with the results.

I posted another thread regarding no post after switchig to SLI.

Then I read this post again and tried your method if that is related to the cold bug.

A few times after turn PSU off and power on. I got to the NF4 UT Expert LOGO screen.

then a few more times of the same procedure, I got into BIOS.

Then my keyboard would freeze up.

What causes the cold bug?

thanks.

What you are experiencing is not actually a "cold boot bug" but rather a rare set of conditions.

In order for the PSU and motherboard to respond correctly the voltages and current levels must be within a certain range. Many of the new high power PSUs are having trouble with certain motherboards.

davidhammock200 is our power supply guru but he's out of touch for a couple of weeks.

I would try another PSU in the meantime and see if it resolves your issue.

I posted another thread regarding no post after switchig to SLI.

Then I read this post again and tried your method if that is related to the cold bug.

A few times after turn PSU off and power on. I got to the NF4 UT Expert LOGO screen.

then a few more times of the same procedure, I got into BIOS.

Then my keyboard would freeze up.

What causes the cold bug?

thanks.

Now my system runs very good. But my OCZ runs not perfect (with SLI-D not, too).

Another thing: Is the chipset temp. at SLI higher then in the single mode (one card) ?

EDIT: With only one card the same "problem" with the temperature.

I have now watercooled my chipset and it becomes very warm (IDLE 41°C; games 48°C). I´m using a NexXxos NBX-A, a XP-Bold for CPU and a watercool HTF Trible.

My CPU (without HS) IDLE´s @ 19°C (C&Q off).

dscf15429tz.jpg

What you are experiencing is not actually a "cold boot bug" but rather a rare set of conditions.

In order for the PSU and motherboard to respond correctly the voltages and current levels must be within a certain range. Many of the new high power PSUs are having trouble with certain motherboards.

davidhammock200 is our power supply guru but he's out of touch for a couple of weeks.

I would try another PSU in the meantime and see if it resolves your issue.

That may be the problem since I am using Enermax 600W....

I can get it back into bios but hving problem with my prev version of windows with stock settings. (RAM tested ok in memtest.)

While I was trying to install a new version, the PC will reboot. I will try again with a diff PSU.

That may be the problem since I am using Enermax 600W....

I can get it back into bios but hving problem with my prev version of windows with stock settings. (RAM tested ok in memtest.)

While I was trying to install a new version, the PC will reboot. I will try again with a diff PSU.

After a few failed attempts at installing a fresh copy of Windows, I realized that my memory was unstable at optimized default settings (though it could pass memtest easily). So I dropped my memory with a big ole divider, and was finally able to install without a hitch. Started overclocking last night.

I have found that my G.Skill FF's (TCCD) work best with driving/data strength at 5/1. I am prime stable at 300X10; will try to get closer to 310x10 today.