DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if anyone has come across the PSUs that have the 8-pin (not 4-pin) 12V connector. I found the OCZ Powerstream, but I was wondering if there were others. It's hard to find any spec sheets that specifically list it.

THX

My powerstream, which you already mentioned, has both the 4 pin and the 8pin.

Just go to some of the review sites for hardware, Insanetek, X-bit labs, etc and read up on PSU's they should have the information in there.

As far as the margin of error, what he means there is going to be a plus or minus difference everytime you run the test, even with the exact same components. I usually use the option to run each test three times as it gives you an average, this is much better to use when comparing different equipment or timings.

What you also have to understand, is that in 3dmark03 or 05 your cpu speed and memory timings have literally almost zero impact on your score unless they are SLOWING things down, its all about the gpu. If you want to benchmark cpu speed increases with 3dmark you have to use 2001SE, if you used that you wouldn't see your cpu doing better at a lower oc. The dual core cpu's do not have any advantage over single core in gaming unless you are using the latest nvidia drivers which take advantage of dual core. In bencghmarking you could probably get higher scores with a single core cpu at the same speed on your set up, however in reality, with a dual core cpu when someone msn's you during bf2, or you are playing fear at 2am and your virus scan kicks in, or you minimize CS:S to log onto ventrilo, thats where you see that big fat advantage with the dual core because no longer will it be fragging up your game :cool:

Peace

Most desktop motherboards use the ATX 12V 2.X specification from www.formfactors.org.

Additionally, www.ssiforum.org provides specs for server level equipment.

The 8pin CPU power connector comes from that spec.

Just remember that the board designers chose those specifications for a reason. It's in your best interest to see that you get a PSU that is fully compliant with the spec.

See this list of known good units...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

can anyone verify that the expert reads way less on the cpu temps ??

someone told me this ..

im running a dual core 4400+ at 2750 .. load temps never break 40c .. more like 39c .. that was same when i was running my opty 150 @ 2950 .. same vcore ..

im running a scythe ninja with a good fan on it ..

he told me if my load temp is like 40c then its really like 60c ..

but i dont see it .. my heatsink is cool to the touch .. and the temps are consistent with what my sli-dr did with my other cpus ??

also im using smartguardian for my temps

can anyone verify that the expert reads way less on the cpu temps ??

someone told me this ..

also im using smartguardian for my temps

It seems to, at least way lower than the other DFI NF4 boards.