Ceramique vs AS5

VenuS

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where AS Alumina stands? Just had a big tube given to me.

Its not bad, can't complain for free but its not as good as AS5 or Ceramique. I'd use it on a chipset etc. and AS5 for CPU but you could use it on a CPU if you wish. Is it the normal Arctic Alumina or the Arctic Alumina Adhesive? If its the Adhesive then i definitely wouldn't use it on a CPU ;)

My faith is unshaken. I will continue to use AS5 simply because it does what it is supposed to do better than the others. A couple of degrees here and a couple degrees there, it all adds up. All bets are off if you freeze or don't jack around with your computer. I have never had a cpu in situ for >1 yr, let alone 2.

AS Alumina, well that's below as3 I believe, but non conductive?

I dn remember, I think it might of been I dn, probably wrong.

As5, under heavy overclocking could need replacing within a month!

Yeppers, I have to actually replace mine once a month...

One time it got so bad, because I like waited to long..., no more 250x10 which was like so easy to get.

That was a wierd, and crap experience, I was pretty ticked off at the gel.

The thicker you lay it on the longer it lasts :.

But you lay it that thick, and it's gonna slightly hurt temps probably.

Doing the thinest possible layer does'nt seem to work, ie the fogging thing.

Does'nt work well and goes out very very fast.

Just a dot :, not a small one, and not a huge one either.

You got the seringe for the as5?

Well make a dot about as big as the cover thing probably, maybe a tad bit smaller.

Not the very tip though, I do mean the tip(cover), but not the very end of that, to small.

For chipsets, just a tiny bit bigger then the drop you use for cpus.

This seems to work best, so far I think.

My temps have'nt been going nuts yet so...

I think it's been like, half a month probably.

Normally around this time I get a c or 2 more.

When they say breakin, on my end it's more like breakdown, it never gets better ^^, it only gets worse.

I'm gonna try some of the shin etsu stuff someday.

Gotta get a few more things fist, but it'll be around the corner sometime soon hopefully.

Allready ordered a new video card today, gonna get a new case today, gotta order a fan(2 of them I guess now, might as well).

When I order the fans I should try to get some new gel.

I was thinking of picking up some ceramic, for these regulator thingys(the big transisters).

As5 is'nt that bad really, but you defently have to redo it alot more then one would like.

Half a year, well maybe.

It is'nt that way for everyone though, for example it could last you a year or 2, or more before it craps out on you.

You'll know when it does, say norm is 34c, well when it craps out it'll be 42c and stuff like that.

Everyday I mean, 42c for everyday use would suck...

Then again, I just saw a socket temp of 60c today :, on a oem rig of another buddies.

His rig allways bsods, and he just re-installed windows last week, still bsod'ing, not from, heat not viruses lol :( (was viruses before for the most part).

I did'nt know what to tell the guy but the truth, you're gonna have to redo that and put a better fan on it, or whatever(I allways say or whatever lol).

well I agree my temps never went doen after breakin with AS5..on 2 cpus now..but I have not seen temps go up..

I have a winny that has AS5 almost 9mo....and I have not reapplied it either...

My newer venice has it for about 1.5mo....temps rock stable too

I would only use 3/4 BB on IHS speader on A64 just as recommended on their website and becareful when removing the cpu...run prime 95 or some intensive program to get the AS5 a Little loose as some have reported that it acts like glue and you can pull out your cpu...so run Prime95 for about 30min