Forum Wars Summer 2008 Discussion Thread

jammin

What Is Forum Wars

Forum Wars is an overclocking competition between forums that has been running for a few years now.

OCC has joined the competition for the last two runs and finished 7th and 2nd overall respectively.

The competition has generally aimed to be as inclusive as possible, allowing those with cutting edge hardware and extreme cooling to compete along with those who have more run of the mill systems.

While naturally hardware plays a big role in who comes out on top, all systems entered count and can make a difference in who takes the overall Forum Wars title.

A good example of this was the Winter Wars which took place earlier this year, where despite not winning any of the team categories, OCC managed to finish 2nd overall.

There will be prizes donated by the sponsors of the competition (you can see a list of the prizes linked below), which are to be given away by random drawing at the end of the competition as has been done previously (this keeps things fair).

Information

Rather than repeat a lot of information here that is already presented somewhere else I'll throw in a few links to the necessary information (as well as add the most important points here).

Forum Wars Summer 2008 Dates

The Rules - This sets out the format of the competition, as well as how to submit scores. Note that this time around (if you have played before) it will be required to create an account on hwbot. This is because they already have a system for verifying scores for popular benchmarks. The site is also useful for overclockers in general and we already have an OCC team set up there which you can join.

Scoring Thread - This is where you post your scores to be verified and entered by the forum cops. It will be open during the stock and overclocked (war) phases of the competition (as below).

Forum Wars Site

Guides

Using hwbot

Submitting a Score

Dates are as follows:

* Prelim / Stock Testing: Sep 5th - 19th

* Picking Rosters: Sep 20th - 26th

* Go To War: Sep 27th - Oct 11th

Benchmarks that will be used are:

* Geekbench (32bit) - Score x10

* 3DMark01 - True Score

* Aquamark 3 - Score /3

* 3DMark05 - Score x3

* PCPitstop (CPU + Mem) - Score x12

* SuperPi (1.5) - 7sec = 120000

* Wprime 32 (1.55) - 7sec = 120000

Sign-up for the OCC Team Here

The Prize List

You can use this thread for discussing anything about the competition as well as ask any questions which I will do my best to answer (or get someone else to answer) for you. :)

A link to a scoring thread will be added once I set it up.

If there is any important information missing here, please point it out and I'll add it. :)

Edited by jammin

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just signed up for Hwbot. I plan to compete this year and just today was seeing how far I could push what I have. I should think that 4.2GHz is achievable for benching let alone 4.5 and 4.7 so I'm game.

I see some of the benches are new, which is cool.

but, I'm gonna complain that an app like 3DMark01 - which is totally *anti-Vista* is being used. this is pretty disappointing considering the known disparity between XP and Vista scores on machines using the same hardware.

the easy answer is "Get XP, retard!" - but for those of us who dont/wont torrent or use pirated software, and cant/wont fork out money for an OS we'll only use for Warz, the easy answer isnt the correct one. for next time, let's consider moving to "modern" benches that will give equal scores to equal hardware configurations...

Hmm hopefully I can run it on vista if not I have xp64 so I guess I'm lucky. Heh good thing its in september by then I can get a better cooling solution. Perhaps dry ice?

Edited by Compxpert

LOLWUT???
Benchmarks that will be used are:

* Geekbench (32bit) - Score x10

* 3DMark01 - True Score

* Aquamark 3 - Score /3

* 3DMark05 - Score x3

* PCPitstop (CPU + Mem) - Score x12

* SuperPi (1.5) - 7sec = 120000

* Wprime 32 (1.55) - 7sec = 120000

Edited by Compxpert

If I can get my hands on a 4870X2 by the beginning of Sept I will be in with a vengence!!!

It has been a while since I benched with any form of competativeness, and this xeon is begging to stretch its legs ;)