Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are looking good for me. I got S12 500Watt to work with my mobo.

This is a fix so don't judge me or ask questions because I wouldn't know how to answer them.

this is what i did, use 1 ram module in slot 1, plugs all molex + floppy power connector into the mb. change the JP17 to 4v as shown in the manual.

good luck.

i just emailed seasonic..we'll see what they say.

i'm just puzzled why the machine is perfectly fine without the mem voltage. All the voltages look CLEAN.

hrm..lemme see if i can post my occt results from last night.

Let us know what they say. Since I have other PSUs I wouldn't bother making a random call to them. But an official word would be nice.

Interesting. Apparently issues only exist with the 500 and the 600. The 430 is probably okay.

"In the past months, our USA office has noticed some compatibility

issues between the S12 500/600 & DFI M/B. It is not for sure that every

m/b will have the problems with our power supplies as analog devices'

tolerances will affect the final compatibility outcome. Your message is

useful to us. If possible, we'll do the further test to find the

solution out . Thanks."

Guest shiznit

i received my s12 500 yesterday from case-mod, its a revision a02. it has worked flawlessly so far, you can check my sig to see what it powers. i have powered the system on and off several times trying to replicate the problems some people have reported and its worked fine every time. seems like the issue with the dfi nf4 has been resolved with rev a02. i try to have a really quiet pc, all my fans are 120mm and run at 7v (including cpu fan), nv silencer on my 7800gt, and the bfg psu was by far the loudest component. the seasonic is virtually silent, and now my computer is deadly quiet. i have the rpm lead plugged into the mobo and it shows 740rpm. i am very impressed.

Let us know what they say. Since I have other PSUs I wouldn't bother making a random call to them. But an official word would be nice.

Here is my reply from Seasonic:

In the past months, Seasonic USA office has noticed many compatibility issue between the S12 500/600 & DFI motherboards

After many case studies, the issue may arise from the motherboard not consuming enough current on the 12V rail to surpass the minimum load requirement of the power supply and thereby leading to start up problems by the power supply / main-board combination. We have been to DFI Taiwan Headquarter and made these tests and found that our power supplies are within Intel specifications. It is not for sure that every motherboards will have start up problem with our power supplies as analog devices tolerances will affect the final compatibility outcome.

If you have any question or need further information, please feel free to e-mail [email protected]

Thanks for your time, and have a nice day!

Celia Chiu

Marketing Coordinator

Seasonic USA

1330 Mountain View Circle

Azusa CA 91702

Tel: 626-969-9966

Fax: 626-969-9986

E-mail:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Web:

www.seasonicusa.com

it's nice to see some offical replies, but i dunno what the load on the 12V line has to do with booting (but i'm no engineer). If you run a motherboard with just the cpu, ram, videocard and cpu, it should boot. If there are more devices added, there should be more of a load on the 12v line.... and therefore according to that email, it would help the booting problem?? seems weird to me :P

EDIT: no wonder why, he's from marketing... lol... :angel:

In the past months, Seasonic USA office has noticed many compatibility issue between the S12 500/600 & DFI motherboards

After many case studies, the issue may arise from the motherboard not consuming enough current on the 12V rail to surpass the minimum load requirement of the power supply and thereby leading to start up problems by the power supply / main-board combination. We have been to DFI Taiwan Headquarter and made these tests and found that our power supplies are within Intel specifications. It is not for sure that every motherboards will have start up problem with our power supplies as analog devices tolerances will affect the final compatibility outcome.

Unfortunately this cannot be the explanation.

I am aware of this problem (not drawing enough power for the PSU to realize the system is on) for a long time, so when the box doesn't start I hook up a bunch of harddrives and CD drives. Didn't make a difference with my Super Silencer 460, it won't power the DFI board.

Also note that I have the problem with a Super Silencer 460 which is single 12V-rail, while the mentioned PSU here are dual-rail IIRC.

Wow!

A motherboard with one of the highest power requirements and they say it doesn't draw enough current on the 12V rail. Sheesh.

We've known about the bad power supply design for almost a year and these guys have the nerve to blame DFI.

I hope ViperJohn sees this!

If you have any question or need further information, please feel free to e-mail [email protected]

Thanks for your time, and have a nice day!

Celia Chiu

Marketing Coordinator

Seasonic USA

1330 Mountain View Circle

Azusa CA 91702

Tel: 626-969-9966

Fax: 626-969-9986

E-mail:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Web:

www.seasonicusa.com

Actually, the hard drives and optical drives place most of their load on the 5V lines.

it's nice to see some offical replies, but i dunno what the load on the 12V line has to do with booting (but i'm no engineer). If you run a motherboard with just the cpu, ram, videocard and cpu, it should boot. If there are more devices added, there should be more of a load on the 12v line.... and therefore according to that email, it would help the booting problem?? seems weird to me :P

EDIT: no wonder why, he's from marketing... lol... :angel:

Actually, the hard drives and optical drives place most of their load on the 5V lines.

Oh, that's good to know I guess. I've never measured the current draw on any drives, but i'm not about to cut my psu harness apart to measure. But i could always cut up an adapter/extender plug... you got me curious now :P