Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

The big question is still this...

Seasonic has a problem with DFI boards. They openly blame DFI for a board design error. If the DFI board was out of spec, no PSU would work reliably and we know that just isn't true. There are a lot of other power supplies that work just fine with the DFI motherboards.

No, the big question is: why does the customer gets screwed while DFI and Seasonic squabble instead of working together to solve the problem?

According to ExRoadie's logic, if the problem was Seasonic's then it would not work reliably with any board. That is not the case.

The DFI boards seem to work reliably with all but a couple of PSUs (Seasonic is one).

The Seasonic PSUs seem to work reliably with all but a couple of boards (DFI is one).

If you look at the posts in this thread, you'll see that DFI assured us that they are working with Seasonic to have the problem resolved.

Then they told us that, because they couldn't reproduce the problem with a couple of PSUs, that the problem is solved.

They also told us that Seasonic admitted that the problem was with their PSUs and will exchange any that do not work reliably with a DFI board to a version that does.

All of the above now looks to be false.

I was under the impression that DFI has "great customer support".

So far, given the blame shifting, responsibility dodging and non-truths, I am not impressed.

A responsible company would work hard to find a solution or, if it is proven to be impossible, would have its engineers explain exactly what the problem is, and back it up with actual measurements.

Instead we have a "it works on my rig" cop-outs, "it's not our problem" blame shifting (with no actual numbers to prove this position) and zero interest in actually helping solve the problem.

Of course, they already got our money so why should they care?

Seasonic is the PSU of choice for people trying to build quiet systems. The Silent PC Review forums are full of people praising it (except those who use the DFI boards).

The conflicting "proofs" used here are mind boggling. In one post you hint that the Seasonic cannot handle the +5VSB because it is too high for the PSU while in another you suggest that it is too low for it. Incredible!

No disrespect to Angry Games and ExRoadie, but until I see Oskar Wu posting here hard numbers that prove that the problem lies with the Seasonic, I will treat the finger pointing by DFI staff as damage control.

I may be biased but I'll take an Engineer's word over that of a forum moderator or a support person.

So to summarize, regardless of the technical issues, I am extremely disappointed by DFI's handling of this problem.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Alexo

"I may be biased but I'll take an Engineer's word over that of a forum moderator or a support person."

I'm not only a consumer of computer hardware but I make my living as a systems integrator. I have to sort through hundreds of hardware configurations a year and put my reputation on the line with each and every config that leaves my shop.

I put my abilities to work in this forum as a way of giving back to the community that has helped me so many times in the past.

As stated by their own communication, the 5VSB rail is the source of the Seasonic issue. The fact that they quote a non-existent Intel specification should be a clue to competence.

Look at the facts as stated in your post...

"The DFI boards seem to work reliably with all but a couple of PSUs (Seasonic is one).

The Seasonic PSUs seem to work reliably with all but a couple of boards (DFI is one)."

This is what I'm trying to get across. The one common problem is Seasonic NOT DFI. There are other motherboards besides DFI that Seasonic power supplies won't work with.

DFI boards work with a number of power supplies and have no issues.

Seasonic power supplies are known not to function properly with DFI motherboards. According to Seasonic it's because the DFI boards draw too much current on the 5VSB.

If this was really the case NO power supply designed and built to spec would work with the DFI boards and we know that isn't true.

Those are the facts so let's keep them straight.

I believe you are free to choose what you want to believe. Just because the outcome of testing doesn't fit your situation, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

As a consumer just like you, I choose to buy a power supply that works.

I own Enermax, OCZ and Fortron power supplies(at least two or three different models from each) that have zero problems with my rigs.

I've even got the new Fortron Epsilon 600W unit that is virtually silent running in Aileen right now.

If you chose to buy a Seasonic that is quiet but doesn't work how can you blame DFI?

"According to ExRoadie's logic, if the problem was Seasonic's then it would not work reliably with any board. That is not the case."

Are you saying that Seasonic admittedly made at least two revisions to their entire production line because their product wouldn't work properly with ONE motherboard? Now who's kidding whom?!?!

Seasonic even states that the "revised" power supply may even work for a while before failing. Once again, how can that be the fault of the motherboard?

The fact that Seasonic originally replaced the faulty power supplies then decided to stop replacing the power supplies is in no way related to DFI.

Your logic escapes me.

Well I've had enough. I couldn't wait for the other shoe to drop any longer. I wanted to believe that Seasonic had fixed their problem with DFI NF4 MB's, but it appears that it has not. I sold the S12-600 and bought an OCZ powerstream 520. I did notice something in the transition that might be interesting. I removed the Seasonic S12-600 from my rig and installed my spare PSU, a SkyHawk PowerOne 520 watt PSU (suggested by Angry Games in the recommended PSU thread). It worked flawlessly with this exception; the led next to the memory slots does not light until the power button is pressed and then it boots as normal. While using the S12-600, before I loaded up the system with drives and ipods, the led would be lit while the computer was off. After loading up the system, I had to hit the power button once to get the memory led to light and then push it again to boot. The OCZ powered rig works the same as the S12-600 did when the system was minimally equiped. The led is lit when the computer is off, and boots on a single power button push. This may sound like confusing and/or useless information, but I think this symptom might be important in getting the Seasonic people to correct their design flaw. After all, how do you explain a $40.00 Eagle SkyHawk PSU functioning as a quality PSU should and my $150.00 Seasonic S12-600 with quirks you would expect of a cheap PSU?

I have to agree Alexo on this one I had to RMA my seasonic 500W that was over 3 weeks ago and still no word. This after cold boot only worked after computer had been off a few hours, if I tried to start it again right after if had been on the only thing I got was a flashing diode right next to the mem.

If I knew of this I never would have gotten a DFI mobo since it´s the only mobo ( that I know of ) that don´t work with the seasonic psu). Also what ever did come out of the: "Angry_Games: -we are still working with Seasonic to resolve this issue". so much for the great DFI support. When I read the statment from Seasonic atleast they seemed to have tried to figure out why their psu don´t work too good with DFIs mobos, maybe they also did hence the press releas.

PS yes yes DFI never do anything wrong we get it ExRoadie

PS yes yes DFI never do anything wrong we get it ExRoadie

Get a different PSU since Seasonic has decided they don't want to address the issue with their product. I will BOLD the appropriate passages.

Please note our power supplies conforms to the newest Intel specifications and have been tested by Intel and AMD to be in conformity.

There have been many issues with DFI boards and from a 3rd party testing, they have found that the start up +5VSB on certain DFI boards is out of range of Intel specifications and therefore causes compatibility issues with our power supplies.

The issue here is if the power supply is changed out to another Sea Sonic power supply, the possibility of the same issue to occur is high. This issue should be brought to DFI to resolve.

If you change to another brand of power supply, the problem may or may not surface as this depends on power supply design and tolerances. Normally speaking Intel sets specifications for Power Supplies, Motherboards & VGA in order to minimize or prevent compatibility issues and if one of the 3 items is out of spec, then compatibility issue can arise.

I would like to emphasize that this power supply is not defective and is not a RMA item.

Thanks for purchased our products.

Take a look at their communication.

Once more for clarity!

If the DFI boards were the problem no PSU would work and we know that just isn't true.

They quote a non-existent specification.

They tell you that the problem is with their power supply.

They tell you that if you chose to use their power supply and it doesn't work you're on your own.

I will once again post the link to the appropriate specification...

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs..._public_br2.pdf

Please notice that Intel and AMD are not mentioned anywhere.

As far as Seasonic is concerned this is a closed subject so I will close the thread.