Very Cautious, needs final answers.

ok, some reason this screwed up and i lost my whole thing i typed a few minutes ago, so in simple form, please just check my list, and i need final answers, on will all of these parts im purchasing from newegg, work with the DFI motherboard i have selected, and what will not be compatible with this mobo. i ask please do not link me to other forums, if you can just quote on what you want me to read. i have searched all over here and found nothing, so please help me directly and i will brag about the satisfaction ive recieved from DFI. also in the image of my cart, you can see some things i question about, and what is compatible and not, and i try to keep the price low but still ending up making a great game computer.

untitled26cu.gif

PS. i wish to madly overclock my CPU, so i choose that Zalman heatsink. also my case comes with 2 fans on it (front + back). please help me as soon as possible so i can purchase soon.

thank you in advanced,

thomas

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas,

Where did you find the Antec TP II 550W for $89? :confused:

That is a great price on a very good PSU.

No such thing as "too much power"!

Get the XP-90 from SVC for $25 & a 92mm Panaflo 48/57/68 CFM fan, cools better, quietier & cheaper.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave's losing it! That's a newegg listing! It even has a glossy newegg sticker listed.

And that is a good price on the PSU.

Thomas,

Where did you find the Antec TP II 550W for $89? :confused:

That is a great price on a very good PSU.

No such thing as "too much power"!

Get the XP-90 from SVC for $25 & a 92mm Panaflo 48/57/68 CFM fan, cools better, quietier & cheaper.

Thanks,

Dave

I would spend a little more on the processor and get a higher multiplier. You have a better chance of getting "mad" overclocks.

You could also get a 6600GT card now and move up to SLI later for higher performance.

wow, thanks for the quick responces... here is some of the changes i have made to my newegg shopping cart. just keep in mind i wanna finish this list, SOON. like i hope i can buy tonight. so once again please helpe me out like you did just in the previous posts.

1. i have removed the Zalman, and replaced it with the THERMALRIGHT XP-90 Heatsink. Im guessing, the fan i am going to use on that heatsink, is going to be the Panasonic Panaflo FBA09A12M1A 92mm Hydro Wave Case Cooling Fan? im not sure what fan is going on that heatsink, im guessing its that one.

i dont know if i should really be going for that XP-90, because its aluminum + copper and the original heatsink i choose (Zalman) was all copper and had great reviews. on the other hand, the XP-90 had good reviews also, but this involves buying 2 seperate things, instead of getting two in one (fan + heatsink).

2. you might think im stupid, but i decided to stick with the AMD 64 Venice 3000+. if i ever want to in my future, upgrade to a better processor, then i will indeed get a better one. but for now i will stick with the venice. no questions asked about that.

im not sure what squarrelhanded meant about HSF, i took an educated guess that HSF = heat sink fan?

update me on if my choices are good, and once its all settled, ill post my shopping cart again and ask you if its ALL setup.

3. if im going to get a harddrive (which i am), and you reccomend sata, well i dont want to go over 100 dollars on the drive. what i look for in the harddrive, is space, speed, and noise. i am on newegg right now, browsing and finalizing my list, and this is what i ran into: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive. that drive is about $20 more than my original PATA drive, there are no reviews, but ive used Western Digital all my life, so ide have confidence in them on this SATA harddrive i have found. comparing it, the PATA drive i had picked out "Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JB 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive", this SATA one is the same (almost everything and more) just for 20 dollars added on. So some computer tech, please lead me into a yes or no to go for this WD sata, i dont think i want to go with something else besides that. i know only one person said go with SATA on this topic i created, but i took there words into consideration too.

4. i cant find any better ram, cheap, i dont want to go spending 200, 150, 125 on memory. its crazy for me.. if im gonna have to spend THAT much to get good ram, then ide say pass off the SATA2 drive for another time in life. if you want to help find me new, good, cheap, ram (1 GB, or 512 x2) then visit newegg.com because thats where im going to buy EVERYTHING (all my parts) from.

once again, thanks, please help me out,

thomas

PS. i am going to also keep my MSI NX6800. no questions asked about that eather.

I have the 7700 and Im very satisfied but I wont argue about it. The PSU is good enough.

RAM... Read the stickies and the sigs and see what ppl have whopse systems are working. U will realise that a lot of ppl here did spend 125+ on their RAM. And do get that SATA, PATA is a dying breed (will be gone in another 20 yrs :dog: )

That all looks pretty good stuff and I would go for an OCZ above an Antec...the 550 (I believe) Powerstream is known to rock.

I would also go for the 6600GT as even with the extra pipes and Vortex Shader unlocked, the 6800NU is still only 128mb memory - same as 6600GT.

With the memory, value aint too good and you're not gonna get a very good OC out of it. Maybe some OCZ PC 3200 Gold with BH5?? :cool:

EDIT: the HSF (Heat sink and fan...yep ;) ) would be best with the thermalright + pana...my XP-120 cool a beaut!!

you may also look into getting one or more of the 80GB hitachi sata II drives. they're around $60 (or 160GB for $98) and all their features are supported on the dfi sli. down the road, if you ever become interested in RAID0, 2 or 3 of those will rock. there's a monster thread here in this forum regarding these drives running brilliantly on the dfi sli. also, look into patriot memory. they're pretty cheap, though not as cheap as value ram, and many people are running them fine on dfi boards.

And do get that SATA, PATA is a dying breed (will be gone in another 20 yrs :dog: )

[OFF TOPIC]

I'd be willing to bet that SATA will be going or gone in 20 years too... fairly good chance by then that things will be going optical for data transfer. How long has PATA been around in the mainstream now that it's being phased out?

[/OFF TOPIC]

cooler master centurion will give problems whit the onboard sound modulle.

the fan from the case will block the sound modulle to fit in the case. but you can fix this whit file in the fan. thats what i did