Tired of noisy chipset fan? DFI nF4 solution (modem warning!)

GXP345

Mucker, after seeing your picture, I did the same thing you did :D but I used a 120mm fan.

100% load Chipfan at 7000+rpm (and I don't even hear it) and I get 46c. But if this guy gets <45c with NO fan, that is the way to go. From everything I've read, we don't even need to worry about PWMIC temps, so I wouldn't have to have a fan there at all.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very nice you should send one to Angry_G and see if DFI would sell a quiet mobo or even a micro mobo for htpc.

if you have one i could test out I'd be very happy to give it a go-round and if it is da bomb i'd gladly send it back to you and promote it for you as an excellent alternative to the stock fan.

$40 is a little steep, but your labor is important, and to some of us, money is not an object when it comes to performance ;)

Hey GXP, how much you charge. My Ultra D is only 3 weeks old and for the last 2 weeks my chipset fan is screaming like a banshee. VERY annoying.

Anyone have a solution? Driving me crazy.

i thinking ... you can use a full copper cooler, they can be had for around $10.. you can cut the fins like gpx did looks sharp and clean or you can just the bend the fins easily.

perhaps only cutting 4-6 fins right were the card meets the heatsink and bendign the other fins slightly for maximum heat disipation.

i havent fired my board yet, i doubt i can hear the chipset fan with 4 120mm fans in the case

• 5 weeks later...

Some of you, guys, knows where do I can buy an Alpha PEP66T to mod in Europe? Don't mind buying outside of my country (I'm italian, living in spain) but here in the south of europe is really difficult to get that cooler.

I have an Ultra-D that makes A HELL LOT OF NOISE from the chipset (and only from the chipset, the rest of the hardware is dead silent...

I've seen something like a heatpipe cooling solution on a recent motherboard from MSI or Aopen, why DFI (or Arctic Cooling or the hell knows who) doesn't plans to build a retrofit for our motherboard? Even at a price of 35 - 40 euros I would definitely buy it, I'm really tired of the noise...

I saw this MB the other day and noticed that it had a similar shaped HS as GXP created.

I didn't have my camera with me so this is an extract from their top view shot of the MB.

It is a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) which has dual PCIe slots, so someone somewhere is making these HS for production.

Two questions:

1.) Can you still put ati silencer on you vc without bumping into your NB HS (assuming you are not using zalman cnp hsf on proc of course)

2.) If so I would like to order one from you do you ship to the philippines? :-)

P/S

have you ever thought of inverting it to the otherside and extending it further so you can attach a fan on it as well for those who dont mind the noise and just seeking out better cooling?

how can you fit an ATI silencer in the first slot without the DFI NB HSF interfering?I am using an HIS GC as in siggy and I can't fit that in :confused: