The CM Stacker case and some mods !!

...although I haven't decided between the original STC-T01 and the 810.
hmmm... they didn't have the 810 when i bought my STC-T01. it looks like the only difference is that the STC-T01 can accept two power supplies while the 810 has another 120mm fan in place of the top power supply. i would say go with the 810 unless you have any desire to get two power supplies.

actually, for the first year i had my STC-T01, i had two power supplies in it. great case!!

i would also suggest that you mount the motherboard tray in an inverted position (inverted ATX). that is what i did. keeps heat from building up on your graphics card and puts the CPU down lower in the case where the cooler air is. (hmmm.. i am not sure if the 810 will allow mounting the MB tray in an inverted position or not, but the STC-T01 does! the 810 does not appear to be BTX MB compatible.)

Also, is it possible to attach 120mm fans to the front without buying additional 4 in 3 modules? (using zipties or something)
hmmmm... using zip ties, yes, i suppose it is possilbe. there are standard screw holes on the sides where you would normally put your drives. you could use those holes for putting your zip ties through. although buying an extra 4-3 module would be a good idea if you have 2 or more HDDs.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mrzeld

(hmmm.. i am not sure if the 810 will allow mounting the MB tray in an inverted position or not, but the STC-T01 does! the 810 does not appear to be BTX MB compatible.)

1) will allow mounting the MB tray in an inverted position - Yes Believe so.

2) BTX MB compatible - Yep actually ships with kit unlike the STC-T01 where i think the BTX is an extra option.

luck:)

hmmm... they didn't have the 810 when i bought my STC-T01. it looks like the only difference is that the STC-T01 can accept two power supplies while the 810 has another 120mm fan in place of the top power supply. i would say go with the 810 unless you have any desire to get two power supplies.

actually, for the first year i had my STC-T01, i had two power supplies in it. great case!!

i would also suggest that you mount the motherboard tray in an inverted position (inverted ATX). that is what i did. keeps heat from building up on your graphics card and puts the CPU down lower in the case where the cooler air is. (hmmm.. i am not sure if the 810 will allow mounting the MB tray in an inverted position or not, but the STC-T01 does! the 810 does not appear to be BTX MB compatible.)

I think only the STC-T01 allows you to flip the motherboard tray over; the 810 doesn't. Does that help a lot with the temperatures? I really like this idea, but the way my desk is set up it would be more convenient to open the case from the left side, and I also wouldn't be able to use the window panel if it's flipped over (well, I suppose I could, but the cmstacker text on it will be upside down :P).

The dual power supply thing sounds interesting, but the adapter that comes with it only seems to support 20-pin power supplies from the pictures I've seen. Can you get a 24-pin one anywhere?

The one thing I don't like about the STC-T01 is that the power supply cage at the top doesn't seem to be removable. I'm planning to put the PSU at the bottom and put exhaust fans at the top, so it looks like the cage would just clutter the case and restrict airflow. The 810 has no cage and an extra 120mm fan there instead. Other than that, it seems to be better than the 810, which is really meant for the huge quad processor boards.

Does that help a lot with the temperatures?
i don't have any hard number to support that, but i think it does allow for better air circulation. the CPU stays low in the case where cooler air is. the PCI cards are facing right side up so all their heat just goes up. if you have a fan/PSU at the top then that heat is just exhausted out. i think it is a better setup.

and I also wouldn't be able to use the window panel if it's flipped over (well, I suppose I could, but the cmstacker text on it will be upside down :P).
yeah, that is a bummer. i was thinking about getting the windowed side panel, but i would never really be able to see in it (my case sits in my desk so you really can't see it). besides, i have dynamat lining the both sides of the case to try and reduce noise/vibration (and yes, i did just cover over the big hole in the side where you can put an 80mm fan).

The dual power supply thing sounds interesting, but the adapter that comes with it only seems to support 20-pin power supplies from the pictures I've seen. Can you get a 24-pin one anywhere?
i don't know about that. havent' seen one anywhere, but then again, i haven't really looked.

The one thing I don't like about the STC-T01 is that the power supply cage at the top doesn't seem to be removable.
i don't think it is removable. i think it is a permanent fixture there. although it is pretty "open" and really wouldn't restrict airflow that much. remember that there is an 80mm fan in the top of the case, so heat isn't going to build up at all at the top of the case.

The STC-T01 doesn't require any extra parts to change to BTX. You just swap stuff around and screw it all back together.

Exactly, the only "extra kit" available and needed is the XFlow Fan... which the other two Stacker models lack, and IMO together with the "just 1 PSU" thing make them inferior in everything to the STC-T01, except in looks.

Correction, the 820 also supports two power supplies:

1158_1Misc.jpg

Coolermaster information is contradictory, since now it says the 820 also supports the XFlow fan and it clearly looks like only ONE psu can be used :confused:

From closer examination CM updated their design on the run, it seems, and the XFlow can be attached on the opening side panel door... so it won't perform as good as with the STC-T01. Still only one PSU can be used with the 810 and 820, and still only real diference with the STC-T01 are looks, cooling performance belongs to the T01.

24 pin isn't necesary to do the job, since activating the second PSU when the first one turns on is a matter of a single pin connection... YET, my STC-T01 came with a 24 pin secon PSU connector.

The available 20 pin connectors for this purpose support 24 pin PSU's.

The one thing I don't like about the STC-T01 is that the power supply cage at the top doesn't seem to be removable

My STC-T01 came with a two identical doors that when screwed properly would be able to cover each PSU opening in the case, and each has two 80 mm fan doors on them. The idea of mounting a single PSU on the bottom door is posible, however I need to check all the parts that came with the case again to be 100% sure.

• 2 months later...

i gotta bump this thread as I've been building what may be my BEST Stacker setup ever for the last couple of days

pics to come, but I'd like to remind everyone that I love love love love love CM Stackers because of what can be done with them!

i gotta bump this thread as I've been building what may be my BEST Stacker setup ever for the last couple of days
can't wait to see it!
pics to come, but I'd like to remind everyone that I love love love love love CM Stackers because of what can be done with them!
AMEN! i will never go back to a cramped little mid-tower case again!