The CM Stacker case and some mods !!

nice clean job there s10man69

just a tip...take out that rear fan filter and put the grill thats on the inside of the case for the fan to the back..with noting for the inside part..will help tons with airflow..and probabally noise as well

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THanks bcbooter..

Airflow isn't too awfully bad. I leave filter on, to help keep dust from blowing in from when it isn't running. I don't like dust in my PC, so I have it on always.

As for the Grill on the front of the rear fan, that was actually there when I bought the case. I bought it from a guy here at the street..

FYI this case doesn't require any mods to be near perfect... but a few, or a lot, make it even better ;)

Hmm, a good Panaflo Ultra Quiet on the back could easily help the air flow get even better, same for the XFlow fan (if you haven't got it yet). If the case is on the floor then dirt and dust are a main issue... the front 5.25" mesh have a filter that will require cleaning from time to time, if the air flow is just "light" enough dirt won't go farther from these filters.

What do you mean you got it from a guy in the street??? You mean its a "HOT Stacker"????? smil3dbd4e5e7563a.gif

FYI this case doesn't require any mods to be near perfect... but a few, or a lot, make it even better ;)

Hmm, a good Panaflo Ultra Quiet on the back could easily help the air flow get even better, same for the XFlow fan (if you haven't got it yet). If the case is on the floor then dirt and dust are a main issue... the front 5.25" mesh have a filter that will require cleaning from time to time, if the air flow is just "light" enough dirt won't go farther from these filters.

What do you mean you got it from a guy in the street??? You mean its a "HOT Stacker"????? smil3dbd4e5e7563a.gif

Every case requires a few mods to be near perfect, you know why? Because it's all the user's preference.

The fans I have are good enough for now. I don't like black fans anyways, they're ugly.

Yes, the case is on the floor for now, b/c I just moved a month ago. I am waiting to get a second PC desk. All my PC's utilize fan filters, so I'm very aquainted with cleaning them. It's better than having all that crap in the PC!

I bought it from a guy here at the street...

I installed a second 4in3 module in my Stacker, so now I have two of them both with 12cm fans and each holding 2 HDD's.

However, my HDD temps are still high, with an ambient temp of 32 degrees I get 41-42 degrees idle and 45 when copying large files...

Should I be worried?

I installed a second 4in3 module in my Stacker, so now I have two of them both with 12cm fans and each holding 2 HDD's.

However, my HDD temps are still high, with an ambient temp of 32 degrees I get 41-42 degrees idle and 45 when copying large files...

Should I be worried?

ya'know, i get just about the same. right now my 300GB SATA is at 35C, but I wouldn't sweat it. There's not really too much you can do except add more fans (unless you wanted to water cool or add some funky heatpipes).. Those temps arn't anything to go crazy over.

I think the mechanical parts of the HDD's, which need to be in perfect condition all the time, are pretty much in the coolest part of the hdd and don't produce heat by themselves. Then there is the electronic part, which is of course the one making all the heat... so if we consider how hot cpu's and video cards and chipsets can run... 45 deg is pretty much cool.

I wouldn't worry... specially with the hdd's inside those two 4in3 cages with those 120mm fans cooling them of. I have a similar setup and two HDD's are in one cage while the other two are the other one... before this, before the stacker, the four HDD's produced the same amount of heat than the two 6800GT's in SLI (air cooled).

ya'know, i get just about the same. right now my 300GB SATA is at 35C, but I wouldn't sweat it. There's not really too much you can do except add more fans (unless you wanted to water cool or add some funky heatpipes).. Those temps arn't anything to go crazy over.

I could be wrong, but I think that when I had all 4 hdds in one module, my temps were slightly lower...

Perhaps this has something to do with the airflow inside the module - when all 4 disks are present, the air coming from the 120mm fan has to "squeeze" between them in order to leave from the back. I guess due to the small clearances it travels faster, thus dissipating more heat...

On the other hand, my case has better ventilation now, so...:)

p.s. n1ce_hat, you 're obviously a Devo fan, right? Mark Mothersbaugh ftw!:)

• 1 month later...