The CM Stacker case and some mods !!

I'll have to get a second 4 in 3 module, since I have 4 hdds cramped into the one that came with case...
YES, definitely get a second cage. if you have the one cage full of hard drives, then not much air (especially cool air) if any is getting to the rest of your system. here is a link to 4-in-3 Device Module STB-3T4-E1 in case you are having trouble finding one. jab-tech is a great on-line store and i have bought from them many times.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that, Stackers are IMHO the best cases out there right now.

I'll have to get a second 4 in 3 module, since I have 4 hdds cramped into the one that came with case...

I agree with mrzeld :)

I have two 4 in 3 modules, and two HDD on each... not only they HDD's are a bit cooler but the ventilation offered by the two fans is far better because there is less obstruction.

Maybe you will have to upgrade the back panel 120mm fan as well... maybe not. I am using a High Speed Panaflo, and even at less than medium speed from fan controller it moves more air than all the intake fans (two 120mm and XFlow fan) combined.

ok

it isn't so much about what mods I might have done, as how clean it is inside this case considering how much %@#$#@ wiring for fans and tubing for watercooling etc

some of you will see it and think "bah, so what, that is not really all that great"

but see, that doesn't bother me...goodness is in the eye of the beholder, and this is the 6th Stacker I've setup, and this one is absolutely the nicest job I've done yet.

The tubing isn't as clean as my personal sig-rig:

stacker_xfire-1.jpg

but it is a lot harder with the Maze4 gpu block because unlike the full Tyee block in the picture above, the in/out ports for tubes are not up/down...the are pointing straight out at ya instead of up to top of case or down to bottom of case.

But

as I said, I'm very proud of this build. I've tried some different wiring techniques. Most proud I am (heh, you go Yoda!) of the SATA cables and locking them to the motherboard backplate easily with a zip-tie.

keep in mind how many fans are in this mother...

2x120mm on the front of the dual radiator (pushing)

2x120 on the rear of the dual-radiator (pulling)

1x120mm on the hdd cage

1x120mm on the rear of the case

2x80mm on the bottom rear

1x80mm on the top of the case

1x80mm on the side panel

1x Crossflow Stacker fan

that's 10 fans...and my Sunbeam controller only has 4 channels...and I ^%$#@$@# ran out of Y-splitters for 3-pin fans lol...so I really had to do some serious fooling

here's the specs on this rig:

[b][color=blue]
DFI Lanparty NF4 Expert SLI-DR (7/04-2BTA Expert BigToe BIOS)
Opteron 170 dual-core
2x1024MB OCZ PC4000EL Gold @ 3-4-9-4
Asus EAX1900XT Radeon 512MB PCI-E
SB Audigy LS 
2x80GB Hitachi SATA II RAID-0
OCZ GamerXStream 600w psu
CM Stacker case
DangerDen TDX cpu waterblock
DangerDen Maze4 low-profile acetal gpu waterblock
10 fans!
Evercool VC-RE chipset fan[/color][/b]

I feel like I am forgetting something, even though it is sitting on the table next to me and I am looking over at it trying to remember if I forgot anything haha.

Anyway....here goes

kameron-1b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

kameron-3b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

kameron-4b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

ok, and some other various pics I took while putting this monster together (so far it has been a 9 day job because I take my time and do everything right...which translates to anal-retentive)

kameron-5b.jpg

kameron-6b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

kameron-7b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

kameron-8b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

kameron-9b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

kameron-10b.jpg

Ful Size Pic

nice rig Happy. i would love to try H2O, i am just too chicken :)

just one question... the 2 80mm fans in the bottom rear. are they really neccessary? it seems they might be expelling some cool air that would be better served by rising towards the top of the case. in my stacker i just put the metal plate there and no fans. although my case is setup in an inverted ATX and so the 120mm rear exhaust fan is right above that location.

nice rig Happy. i would love to try H2O, i am just too chicken :)

just one question... the 2 80mm fans in the bottom rear. are they really neccessary? it seems they might be expelling some cool air that would be better served by rising towards the top of the case. in my stacker i just put the metal plate there and no fans. although my case is setup in an inverted ATX and so the 120mm rear exhaust fan is right above that location.

the rear 120 + bottom 2x80's are for pulling air pretty much straight through

You got 2x120 + another 120 stacked in the front (and the front of a Stacker is of course mesh so it can breath) like this:

kameron_airflow.gif

yes that is a very crappy drawing but I am not an artist

but it is a basic idea of airflow in the Stacker

so without the 2x80mm fans at the bottom, any air from the lower 2x120mm (or 4x120mm really) fans on the radiator at the bottom-front would have to go up to the rear 120mm and the OCZ psu 140mm to escape

this is not bad at all

but

you get more airflow straight-through with two 80mm's at the bottom

its more of a 'straight-through' airflow technique to me

argh

it probably isn't making any sense how I am trying to describe it =(

Awsome pics & rig happy what camera are u using out of interest??

What 120mm fans are u using ?? i'm pondering going with this mCubed T-Balancer bigNG instead of using the manual controllers from the silverstone's i'm running Now up to 4 fan control knobs in bay

Canon A620 camera that I still haven't played with enough to get it off AUTO settings yet (but it takes great pics on auto! And it was only $220 at newegg!)

the fans are the Arctic Cooling 120x25's and they are practically silent at full speed, have good airflow, and are low-wattage units.

The Sunbeam 4-channel controller holds up to 20w per channel, and is about $11 @ SVC.com in USA, and is the only fan controller I use anymore

AG, your schematic acurately describes my CS setup.

I, however have only 1 120 fan on the front of the case, a second 4 in 3 module is on the way...

Also, I would think the top fan should blow air outwards, since hot air travels upwards...

Don't pay so much attention to the "heat rises" issue since it just doesn't matter in a properly assembled rig.

To achieve the "chimney effect", where rising heat will make a difference, your case would have to be about 14 feet tall with the hottest components at the 14 foot level.

A rig with proper airflow will work exactly the same when it's upside down or with the side panel off, proving the "heat rises" issue is BS.

Keeping the air stirred up with a fan is the best way to cool your rig.

The only "right" way is to test for the best possible airflow for your setup. Don't listen to anyone else. TEST TEST TEST!

i actually just read an article on case cooling...the best config was a top and rear exhaust! all fans simultaneously blowing was NOT the best config...however i was pissed off that they did not do a rear,top, and front intake test...in my opinion this would be best...as long as there is somewhat negative pressure. If you have too many fans blowing in ways that wont allow for a "flow" than air spends too much time in the case getting warm before it gets out which creates more heat.. so my logic...if u have good exhaust and good intake thak will let it flow in and out...than your good to go. Angry's looks ok because of this reason, for example ...but....personally i would have the top fan blowing out...maiily because that extra air at the top that isn't caught by the rear exhasut, will be expelled VIA the top fan so yea..

in my stacker i have 4 fans pulling in air from the intake through my rad..then 2 more 120's in the back, also the top is blowing out. And i do not use the side fan..(in my opinion it just screws up airflow)