1. 1. Do you smoke?

• Frequently (>5/day)
    • Regularly (>5/week)
    • Occasionally
    • Rarely
    • Never
    • Used to, Quit now.
  2. 2. Tick if the answer is yes:

• Do you realise the associated health risks?
    • Have you considered/tried quitting?
    • Do you consider helth effects a factor in quitting?
    • Do you consider cost a factor in quitting?
    • Do you smoke around others?
    • Would the health of your friends/family be a factor in quitting?
    • I don't smoke, so this doesn't apply to me.
  3. 3. Non Smokers Only: Would you like to see smoking banned?

• Yes, Everywhere
    • Yes, All Public Places
    • No
    • I do smoke, so this doesn't apply to me.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is crazy. Drunk driving is bad, yes. But how do you follow that course of logic to get to banning drinking in public? Wouldn't the logical course of action (to prevent deaths to drunk driving) be to outlaw drunk driving? Haven't we done that?

What I do respect is Fanatic's point about being hounded. You stay out of my way, I'll stay out of yours. That's my opinion. The non-smokers are winning the battle (smoking is being banned more and more in public every day). So the least they can do is leave the smokers alone when they're in their few bastions of freedom they still have left. The outright content and judgment is stupid and just proves you're not in it for air quality or what-not, but rather just to be a jerk.

I am not going to continue on the first quote. It does take away from the topic at hand. The second one is where I was trying to get to. There is way to much of people with their noses in other peoples business. Stay out of mine and I will stay out of yours.

The one thing I do find interesting is the condemning of smokers. You hate us, hope we die, can't stand to be around us the list goes on.... But you have never met me or most of us for that matter and you are wishing that we die? What sort of crap is that? I have not read one smoker say anything of that nature to a nonsmoker on here. What does that say about you?

By the way Verran, you made me proud with your last statement. I only wish more people thought the same way.

The one thing I do find interesting is the condemning of smokers. You hate us, hope we die, can't stand to be around us the list goes on.... But you have never met me or most of us for that matter and you are wishing that we die? What sort of crap is that? I have not read one smoker say anything of that nature to a nonsmoker on here. What does that say about you?

I havn't seen anyone of worth stating anything like that in this thread.

I smoke about a half a pack a day, but I think I am a fairly "respectful" smoker. I realize all the downsides to it (health, smell, etc) but do it anyways, lol. When I feel the need, I go out of my way to seperate myself from others that may be bothered, and if asked to butt out, I will either move or respect others wishes (though I rarely put myself in those positions to begin with). I realize that my choice shouldnt be pushed on other people, so I dont.

Define smoking. Are we talking about cigarettes?

rofl was about to ask the same thing....i dont smoke cigs but ummm.... :ph34r:

anyways, if people want to smoke cigs thats their prerogative and their right but i dont (didnt) like it when i would be in the non smoking section eating food and i would be coughing over smoke. (thanks to all the respectful smokers that excuse themselves and go elsewhere to smoke) i see smoking (mostly just in restaurants) on the same level as burping or farting right infront of everyone....its rude and people dont like it...go outside (mainly in cars and in restaurants is where it drives me nuts). i live in ohio and currently in ohio it is illegal to smoke in public buildings/places (unless they are private non-profit organizations) so i dont have to worry about choking on smoke over my food anymore. (like i said, one of the only places it really got to me)

and to the people that say "you dont have to come here if you dont like smoke"....all i have to say is, why should WE have to go somewhere else because of someone elses actions? its the smokers that are carrying out the action, THEY are the ones that should have to go somewhere else.....you dont spit up a lugy while you eat in front of people??? you get up and walk to the restroom then come back....same concept with cig's.

now on the other hand....the green kind of smoke... :ph34r:

I smoke about a half a pack a day, but I think I am a fairly "respectful" smoker. I realize all the downsides to it (health, smell, etc) but do it anyways, lol. When I feel the need, I go out of my way to seperate myself from others that may be bothered, and if asked to butt out, I will either move or respect others wishes (though I rarely put myself in those positions to begin with). I realize that my choice shouldnt be pushed on other people, so I dont.

Now this is one considerate smoker. I don't care whether you smoke or not. Many of you smokers say that non-smokers should just leave you smokers alone. Well, I do. Like I said, I don't care if you smoke or not. The problem comes from when you start smoking and exhale all that smoke. That's when it becomes a problem. So, the best solution would be to ban smoking from public areas and have only designated smoking areas. That way most people don't have to deal with the smoke exhaled from other people. That's my problem with most smokers. They usually aren't considerate enough to know that most people don't want to inhale what they exhale.

Does anyone agree that it should be up to private business owners whether to make their establishment smoke free or not? I think that's fair...let the business choose who they want to appeal to, the smokers or non-smokers.

But, I can agree with most that smoking should be banned in public places such as the library and courtroom, etc.

i agree that it should be up to the owner of the business.

the reason non smoking people should have to go somewhere else is because the owner chooses to allow smoking.

like i said before...

if it is that big of a deal it sure seems like a quick way to get rich.

just open a business that caters to non smokers...

communism is a terrible thing.

I don't mind if people smoke. But due to them, I'm a 2nd hand smoker. I hate when they exhale and blow all of it in my face. There should be designated smoking areas, so I think it should be banned from all public places. I don't mind if you kill yourself, just don't try and kill me with your smoking.

2nd hand smoke is how my friend got asthma really bad and he is also having health problems. His dad smoked around him all the time.

I don't think most non-smokers think that people who smoke are terrible disgusting people. Its just non-smokers just don't understand why they keep smoking when the risks out weight the benefits.

It just bothers me that people who smoke are basically setting a bad example for young kids/teenagers. Who then start smoking at parties or social occasions because they think it looks cool and it makes you look more older and more mature and by the time there in there early/mid 20s when they realize smoking is a bad thing they can't stop because addicted to cigarettes and they just keep smoking. I just hate to see good people throw there good health away because of smoking.

Cigar smokers are tobacco users. No defense. However we do not like to be lumped with cigarette smokers. Cigars are smoked at brick and mortar shops, special cigar only events, cigar bars and teh occasional restaurant that is still cigar friendly. Cigarettes are much easier to get away with in public places because most cigarette friendly places aren't cigar or pipe friendly at all. My smoking is normally with friends or by myself walking the dog. No second hand smoking issues because unlike cigarettes as most cigar smokers can go days/weeks without one. I don't smoke cigars because I'm bored unlike the other habit. Anyone that can get in five smokes in any weekday has to work at a smoke shop. Most can get one in after work with a three finger scotch and that's about it.

Attached are pictures from three different cigar events. As you can see no kids or anything to do with second hand smoke issues. Bunch of guys having a good time drinking. One picture is at cigarfest in Bethlehem, the other is Delaware park for horse racing and the other is the Eagles home opener. All the guys I met were from cigar boards. How many on this board have gotten to personally meet other over clockers? Not many I'm assuming. Allot of events are planned as special events and you get to put a face to a handle. Nothing ghey here but good talk with many that share the same income levels, same thoughts and the fun of camaraderie.

If your anti tobacco I applaud you. If someones smoking bothers you tell them. I think I was in the position once of making someone uncomfortable and the cigar went out. Most of my sticks are $8 - $15 each and I'll ask the bartender or people next to me if they have an issue with a cigar before I even clip it. Again, we are a different breed of tobacco user.

I agree entirely.

Unfortunately (and this thread is proof) people will lump cigar smokers in with cigarette smokers regardless of how little one has to do with the other.