Vista worth it?

HoboBen

Why do you relate everything to what the industry is doing when this site is dedicated to personal computing and gaming?

Because the home and enthusiast crowds are pitifully small compared to businesses. We do not determine the succes or failure of Vista. Big business does. ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ding ding ding!!!!! we have someone who sees the light!

waco, it all ties back to the golden rule of businesss... he who has the gold makes the rules. and that's not the enthusiasts and home users in the computer world. we pickup scraps that are left in the wake of advancements for business.

high end gaming cards... oh that's right, those are stripped down high end CAD cards running on API's that are offshoots of the CAD industry's work. dual / quad cores... the result of big business whining about the size and cost of a dual / quad processor rig for apps that actually use them. big screens... LCD's... larger hard drives.... dvd burners... ALL went to work in the corporate world before they came out to play in your PC. so dont' give me crap about OCC not being about the working world... because with out it, the toys occ discusses wouldn't be around.

Because the home and enthusiast crowds are pitifully small compared to businesses. We do not determine the succes or failure of Vista. Big business does. ;)

That has absolutely nothing to do with how well Vista works for personal use, which was the point of this thread.

ding ding ding!!!!! we have someone who sees the light!

waco, it all ties back to the golden rule of businesss... he who has the gold makes the rules. and that's not the enthusiasts and home users in the computer world. we pickup scraps that are left in the wake of advancements for business.

high end gaming cards... oh that's right, those are stripped down high end CAD cards running on API's that are offshoots of the CAD industry's work. dual / quad cores... the result of big business whining about the size and cost of a dual / quad processor rig for apps that actually use them. big screens... LCD's... larger hard drives.... dvd burners... ALL went to work in the corporate world before they came out to play in your PC. so dont' give me crap about OCC not being about the working world... because with out it, the toys occ discusses wouldn't be around.

Again, that has nothing to do with the scope of this thread. You say Vista sucks because big business doesn't use it...but that has nothing to do with how well it works for personal use. That, and you saying that MS admits that Vista is a failure which is plain wrong.

It'd be so nice to have an objective thread that didn't result in the mindless bashing of Vista with inflated numbers and incorrect posts. <_<

Will DX10 become available for other OS'S? Seems to me, for the most part anyways the general consensus is, vista good for DX10, otherwise not so good....

For new MS releases, yes.

Vista is pretty good for personal use, it's just that many won't stop and take an objective look at what it can do and instead rely on numbers from it's initial release (which are admittedly nowhere near what they could be).

Will DX10 become available for other OS'S? Seems to me, for the most part anyways the general consensus is, vista good for DX10, otherwise not so good....

As of right now, probably not. There's been rumors of DX10 going to XP, but I'll believe that when I see it. If DX10 isn't exclusive to Vista, then NO ONE will be buying it anymore. At least now, no matter how much Vista might suck, people will still have to have it for DX10. Without that, it's (even more) dead in the water.

It'll probably end up being a battle between game producers and Microsoft. Microsoft will hold out DX10 exclusivity as long as they can, but if the rate of Vista migration doesn't pick up, then the demand for true DX10 games may fall enough to hurt MS. Only time will tell I think.

My favorite part of threads like this is watching the people who like Vista explain how it only "kind of" sucks. "Hey, you should go buy this product because it doesn't completely suck."

Vista has a great Media Center package (if you use that stuff), a flashy new shell skin, and DX10. Other than that, it's more DRM, more complicated navigation, WORSE security (since everyone ends up turning that annoying crap off anyways), and a bunch of "improvements" to things that weren't broken. I constantly get people telling me here that Vista offers this or that, but none of it is anything that I think XP really needed improvement on. $400 for ~10% performance loss? Sounds like a great deal! <_<

Performance Loss
People say this all the time without backing it up with proper tests. It's not Vista's fault that you may experience a performance loss with DX10, nor is it DX10's fault. It's the fault of the developers because I've yet to find a developer that goes "Oh, DX10, let's just keep everything the same as in DX9 and just get a performance boost!" NO, that's not how it works. Every single developer who uses DX10 decides to add DX10-specific features, many of which you aren't separate toggles, and thus you never get a true DX9-vs.-DX10 performance comparison. When a game running in DX10 uses higher textures, better lighting, better shaders, and so on and so forth, OF COURSE you're going to see a drop in fps!

The best example of this is probably with Crysis and people trying to force some of DX10's added effects and higher textures in DX9 and getting way worse performance than DX10 on Vista.

waco it's you againts the industry. vista is a flat out failure. MS admits it too. why do you think 7 is coming so soon? governments won't use vista, hospitals have banned it's use, banks have banned it's use... yeah, goes a long way to show the quality that vista isn't. big business IT has banished vista to that preverbial bottom drawer of a desk in a back room that no one sits at in the IT department... never to be inventoried as an asset.
Oh, that's right! Thanks for clearing that up, bigred. If hospitals and banks won't use Vista, that definitely means it's . for gamers! ... :rolleyes:

I use XP at home and Vista on a lot of the PCs I fix at work. There is no end to the aggravating experiences I have with Vista. Just removing a program or getting to the device manager is a ten step task that asks "are you sure" each time you click something. :angry: God I hate that!
I turned off the UAC 10 minutes after installation. No more messages. One may argue the point that I just disabled one of Vista's security "improvements", but that feature isn't for the likes of anyone at OCC, it's for the parents who have to worry about a 10yr old kid messing up their computer.

Anywho, I built the system in my sig/profile for 1.7k. Hobo, if you're looking to spend $2k-3k (which I doubt you'll have to do), and you're a gamer, you'd be stupid not to go with Vista. Period.

I'm on Vista right now and it seems fine, but there were 200 problems I had to troubleshoot right after I installed it. I hate Windows Media Center, it runs so freaking slow and you can't fast foward or rewind. WMC < VLC. I love the new start menu though. I don't have to browse through the tabs just type it in the search.

As for performance lost, it doesn't really matter to me so much since the only game I'm playing now is WoW. My friend's old P3 laptop can run WoW just fine lol.

Ugh, Dx 10 exclusive. I'm not impressed at all. It was the main reason I reinstalled Vista since that horrible game Shadowrun came out. Crysis was omg look at the Dx 10 graphics on Very High, 3 days later crack came out to enable Very High on XP and it looks almost the same.

Not related or thing but BAM: Why 360 beats the PS3 version of the same game. Lets just port our 360 version to the PS3 and adjust some things just so they can hit the power on button.

"Oh, DX10, let's just keep everything the same as in DX9 and just get a performance boost!" NO, that's not how it works.
Edited by Krazyxazn

The best example of this is probably with Crysis and people trying to force some of DX10's added effects and higher textures in DX9 and getting way worse performance than DX10 on Vista.

Actually to be honest it runs better in DX9 with most of the added effects working (though with a ton of error dumps in the console) than it does in pure DX10 mode but that's not surprising considering that it isn't using any of the actual DX10 effects like smoke and particle effects.

That has absolutely nothing to do with how well Vista works for personal use, which was the point of this thread.

Maybe not, but you are the one that asked the question. ;)

Vista has its uses and for computer newbies there's no reason not to use Vista since that's most likely the direction that MS is going to continue in with its next iteration. I just don't like it.