Vista worth it?

HoboBen

I will be building new system (within next 6 months), spending around 2-3 thousand. I will be starting completely from scratch (hardware) but I own Windows XP, and am fairly comfortable/confident with it.. the hour or two I have spent w/ vista makes me angry.. I have the kind of personality that I know EVENTUALLY I would get used to anything.. I use comp primarily for gaming.. little surfing.. At my price range, is the computer I can prob build (especially another six months of price drops and tech) worth the frustration of learning new OS? Will I be amazed by the visuals enough to stem the rage that will flow freely when I get asked for the umpteenth time to allow "fill in the bland"?? Also as I am new to this forum, and have missed this topic, I apologize, and please point me to the correct place.. Thanks for any advice

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My job is pretty much to play with Vista. After playing around with it for days on end, I've found a few things you can do to it to make it use up fewer resources and run as fast, if not faster, than XP. Plus Vista SP1 (to be released) is supposed to help speed the OS up even more. Granted, my main rig still is running XP, but I've been running Vista on my laptop for several months and it's rock solid stable, fast, and I haven't had any issues with it since July. I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I say give it a shot.

I run Vista on all my computer except my laptop (it's too old, P3 with 256 megs of RAM) and have had absolutely zero problems. I was honestly quite surprised by it. You'll get used to the differences surprisingly quickly. :)

I am very aesthetic myself, so any little gloss or looks goes a long way in my books, but all the horror stories i have heard about make me wanna back off, atleast until i hear something positive about SP1

I don't mind it, it is faster in some things but when it comes to gaming that is where I get frustrated. Until that service pack comes out I don't plan on gaming with Vista but at the sametime it has been said that there is no performance fixes in SP1 so if thats the case thats down right scary. I really hope that they are going to be working on the gaming aspect of the OS.

Was reading in "Intel vs AMD" that xp home doesn't take advantage of such things as HT. So, I just wanted to clarify, I have windows xp Home.. Not sure if this info changes any advice to come or alredy given. I guess what I really want to know is, what is ideal OS for gaming? Not sure I will change OS's, but with what I am spending, couple hundred xtra on an OS that could make a big difference is probably worth it..?? http://forums.overclockersclub.com/style_i...icons/icon2.gif

I am very aesthetic myself, so any little gloss or looks goes a long way in my books, but all the horror stories i have heard about make me wanna back off, atleast until i hear something positive about SP1

What horror stories???

I don't mind it, it is faster in some things but when it comes to gaming that is where I get frustrated. Until that service pack comes out I don't plan on gaming with Vista but at the sametime it has been said that there is no performance fixes in SP1 so if thats the case thats down right scary. I really hope that they are going to be working on the gaming aspect of the OS.

I don't have any trouble with gaming. What specifically are you referring to?

That 1-5 percent for most things really doesn't bother me and isn't noticeable by any means.

That doesn't compare the DX9 rendering paths, it just compares DX9 to DX10 performance... <_>

1 to 5% falls on the floor laughing your kidding right??????????????

Try on average 10 to 30% and as much as 75% on other games.

I will give you an example fear on XP - 115 frames Vista 46

Bioshock XP - 118 Vista - 97

To me thats not very good of course patches good help Bioshock has been patched already and Crysis is already under by about 10 frames as you can see this is what I am talking about. Not all games but alot games are like this.

You explain to me where its only 5% <_>

I will give you an example fear on XP - 115 frames Vista 46

:blink: You have any links to back that up? Early driver revisions contributed to many of the performance problems but in general the differences in almost all games are unnoticeable. Crysis stands out as one that's much worse than average.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2096943,00.asp

Specificially, look at this page: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2096947,00.asp

That really doesn't look like a 75% performance drop to me. :huh:

Note that the articles are OLD and drivers have improved a lot since then.