Vista worth it?

HoboBen

the sky is BLUE.

seriously though. when the INDUSTRY is calling for Vista's replacment in less than 18 months from it's lanuch... it's a really major problem. Less than a dozen questions relating to vista on the MCP tests (written by microsoft)... big business saying no to it... people who have a friggin clue are saying no more. early adopters of the leading edge hardware (not dual core DDR1 based, dual core, single socket opterons, bottlenecking the spunk out of thier video cards) are staying clear of vista... MAYBE they know a hell of a lot more than you do. it doesn't matter in what market you're talking... it's got issues, they're not being addressed right... it's OVER. go and justify your purchase on newegg. no one has a clue who posts comments there.

it's OVER. 7 is coming very soon to replace vista instead of patching a lost cause. it's called ME release 2 on the developer forums for a reason... it IS. vista is going to be short lived and quickly replaced with an OS that does all of the good things of an OS 2 generations old with some more features (XP in relation to 2000 and ME).

another clue to the issues... Vista home premium OEM is selling for $79.99 while XP home OEM is going for $99.99 as MSRP's. a dead give away that the game is over for vista. microsoft has only done this ONE other time. ME was $79.99 while 98se was $99.99. see the patern of admitted failures? oh that's right I forgot, the sky is green.

Let's pretend we aren't completely biased against Vista and try writing a post. :rolleyes:

It'd be really nice if I could read a thread on here about Vista where you weren't complaining about things that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the end user in a home setting. Please, explain to me how I'm justifying my purchase on Newegg when I didn't buy it from there nor do I put put any credence towards those reviews at all.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ajmatson
115 FPS versus 140? Riiight. Your eyes can't see over 100 fps.

I have yet to see anything like what you are describing.

I'm in the middle of an instance in WoW, can't take any. Why the hell would I make things up though?

No one said you were making it up but it ads to credibility to show it. So just because your eyes can't see over 100 fps means that anything over that doesn't matter? Then why do manufacturers make video cards that do over that limit? A drop is a drop no matter if your brain processes it or not. Thewhole idea about benchmarks is to show performance and for bragging rights. Would you go to a site and say man I got 6,000 3D Marks when everyone else is getting 11,000+ and say well the computer doesn't see more than 6,000 anyway. It is all about what is faster and better and Vista is just not there yet no matter what the margin is.......

It doesn't matter how much this thread is cleaned up and pruned, certain people are determined to argue. Considering that the OP hasn't been seen since page two, I really think this topic should just be closed. <_<

No one said you were making it up but it ads to credibility to show it. So just because your eyes can't see over 100 fps means that anything over that doesn't matter? Then why do manufacturers make video cards that do over that limit? A drop is a drop no matter if your brain processes it or not. Thewhole idea about benchmarks is to show performance and for bragging rights. Would you go to a site and say man I got 6,000 3D Marks when everyone else is getting 11,000+ and say well the computer doesn't see more than 6,000 anyway. It is all about what is faster and better and Vista is just not there yet no matter what the margin is.......

Like you just said, the only reason to show fps over 100 is for bragging rights. Sorry, but I too don't care if it's 10fps less when it's still above 60, let alone above 30.

Like you just said, the only reason to show fps over 100 is for bragging rights. Sorry, but I too don't care if it's 10fps less when it's still above 60, let alone above 30.

Exactly. If the framerates are still acceptable and I only lose a couple percent I don't care because I can't see it.

Let's pretend we aren't completely biased against Vista and try writing a post. :rolleyes:

It'd be really nice if I could read a thread on here about Vista where you weren't complaining about things that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the end user in a home setting. Please, explain to me how I'm justifying my purchase on Newegg when I didn't buy it from there nor do I put put any credence towards those reviews at all.

not biased agianst it. it's what's going on. and when one form of income for me is sales of new pc's, components, and repairs... and a very small other one is stock in MS... and when I have to order systems from a competitor to get a "name brand" laptop with XP on it... I'm REALLY not happy with vista.

plus name ONE tangible benifit that Vista gives a home user over XP... ONE thing vista can do that xp can't besides DX10.

I don't think this forum should be closed. :) I just read the whole thing with my wife and we both laughed so hard lol there should be more just like this one. :) Also, on subject, I had alot of problems when I used vista, NOT to get into the "great debate" but I loved the look, the features, just about everything, BUT had a lot of problems and about 3 or 4 months in called it quits bit the money I spent and just went back to xp. until there is something out there better than xp I'll just stick with it. :P

plus name ONE tangible benifit that Vista gives a home user over XP... ONE thing vista can do that xp can't besides DX10.
You fail to realize that it doesn't matter if Vista can do anything for an everyday user (eg. non-gamer), because practically all new systems come with Vista, and the everyday consumer (aka. noob) doesn't build their own or go hunting for the rare PC that's still built with XP. Dell, for example, only has two lines that you can still get XP for, and that will end in about a year.

much to the contrary clay. I have had to come up with solutions for pre built computers for those noobs who REFUSE to run vista, but refuse to get a custom built rig. I've had to place orders from microcenter (the parent company of winbook) to get winbook branded laptops with xp... a LOCAL competitor no less.

and no clay, MS has extended XP because of pressure from the paying corporate / government customers. XP will outlast vista until 7 convinces the big money customers it's time to switch. heck it took some of them 3 years to finally leave win 2k for xp. and they aren't happy with vista... making them a little gun shy.

Easy backup of user settings, files, and save games.

Guest ajmatson
Easy backup of user settings, files, and save games.

Wow, now that's it I change my mind. A better ability to backup my files. Why didn't Microsoft say so. I better run and upgrade all of my computer now!!!!! Come on you couldn't come up with anything better than that especially after going on how good Vista is........

Besides any system admin will tell you not to ever rely on embedded backup solutions because they only backup personal files not system files.

I'm not saying Vista doesn't have potential because it does (I know I am MCP certified in MS Vista Admin and Migration) but even companies I consult that move to Vista call me wanting to go back to XP because the performance is not there. Performance loss is a loss no matter how you look at it.

Would you buy a hot dog with a bite out of it for the same price as a uneaten one just because it could still fill you up? It is all about the cost to performance ratio and XP offers the best.