Vista worth it?

HoboBen

Links to back it up hmmmmmm lets see our OCC test benches.

You linked to 3dmark :unsure: When did I talk about that? But since we are on that subject 400 - 800 points lost and that includes that Beta drivers we have been using from Nvidia that boast SLI performance in Crysis by 43% yes in Vista so I dunno where you are getting 5% from dude.

You linked to hardocp very first page of benchmarks there is what almost 20% loss on vista where is your 5% on that?

As for linking to fear I don't know what settings they use for they testing compared to what we use, but there is only one game right now that wins in Vista over XP and that is Medel of Honor in our testing so far that is why we have waited so long to go to it. We are moving to it now and not cause its better thats for damn sure <_>

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I linked to generic articles comparing the two from over 8 months ago. Drivers since then have improved greatly.

I'm thinking you have flaws in your test regimen if you are managing to get performance discrepancies that nobody else can reproduce.

Even with those VERY old drivers I see only one game that has a compelling performance difference here: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?i...XpfNl8yX2wuZ2lm

I linked to generic articles comparing the two from over 8 months ago. Drivers since then have improved greatly.

I'm thinking you have flaws in your test regimen if you are managing to get performance discrepancies that nobody else can reproduce.

Flaws in our testing I don't think so you wanna know why.

Because our testing options do not change for the operating system the only thing that does is the OS itself. Which now leads us to two reasons OS or games themselves.

We max out the game as much as possible that is still playable for people as for some of the stuff I see on the net people are not using options at all in some games. As for not reproducing you may wanna look around some more because we are not the only people having issues with loss of performance.

I am not saying that its every game but its like that for more then less and that is the annoying part.

But until I see a service pack I am not going to say that its a POS because its not Vista has great potential if MS would fix some of the issues with it, I do enjoy it at times and DX10 is pretty cool over DX9 :)

waco it's you againts the industry. vista is a flat out failure. MS admits it too. why do you think 7 is coming so soon? governments won't use vista, hospitals have banned it's use, banks have banned it's use... yeah, goes a long way to show the quality that vista isn't. big business IT has banished vista to that preverbial bottom drawer of a desk in a back room that no one sits at in the IT department... never to be inventoried as an asset.

and you want to talk about performance gains? how about the fact that most cad apps are listed as "non compatible" because they take longer to render a file than it would take to install vista with drivers, load the cad program, reformat with XP and drivers and install the cad app all over again... it's pathetic. link for the Vista lovers and another and why?

it makes some of the "work" us productive people use our graphics cards for useless.

There was some talk that a Beta version of 7 would be at CES of course I am not counting on it but depending on how far they have got it would be intresting to have a peek anyway just to see.

I use XP at home and Vista on a lot of the PCs I fix at work. There is no end to the aggravating experiences I have with Vista. Just removing a program or getting to the device manager is a ten step task that asks "are you sure" each time you click something. :angry: God I hate that!

Edited by Bleeble

I use XP at home and Vista on a lot of the PCs I fix at work. There is no end to the aggravating experiences I have with Vista. Just removing a program or getting to the device manager is a ten step task that asks "are you sure" each time you click something. :angry: God I hate that!

You must really enjoy the clock when you first come into Vista :rolleyes:

You must really enjoy the clock when you first come into Vista :rolleyes:

The annoying sidebar one or that dang thing in the corner that you can't double-click anymore? <_<

...Vista makes me feel like an old curmudgeon. :lol:

I like Vista, and have been saying so since joining the site. yeah, things are a little different than XP - but once you get used to those differences, I think you'll find that they're for the better. I love being able to partition, format, partition, format, so on with all of my hard drives IN WINDOWS. that rules. it's nice to look at. like LoArmistead said, Vista can be streamlined and made to run as fast or faster than XP. drivers are typically good, and they're still getting better. Vista is as close to automated computing as I've experienced - I dont know that I've had to manually configure any peripheral yet. I game A TON, and have had no issues w/Vista.

this part is purely opinion - software/game/hardware manufacturers have had a solid chunk of time to get their stuff "Vista ready". many have squandered their chances to deliver innovative products that perform seamlessly, mainly due to laziness - which is the byproduct of a generally anti-M$ enthusiast community. the excuses have practically written themselves. if any group of computer users is going to ###### and scream about something, it's us. we ARE the squeaky wheel that needs grease. let's take a look at a hot topic around the enthusiast/gaming community right now - Crysis. is it really M$'s fault that Crysis runs slower on Vista than it does on XP? no - and here's why:

- Electronic Arts. this gaming empire has pushed "not ready for primetime" products out the door more than any other game publishing company ever. Medal of Honor Airborne? just plain didnt work on innumerable PC's - including mine. I - and many others - had to spend too much of our own time returning/exchanging games, or spending hours on message boards trying any number of "rigged fixes"...just so we could play the damned game.

more evidence? let's look at the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series of games. for the past 3+ years, the PC community has gotten warmed over ports from their console bretheren - which again dont work right on innumerable systems. funky physics, crashes, etc. and that's not even mentioning the lack of really innovative courses to play. let's also think back and figure out who made video game golf popular - PC enthusiasts. anybody else remember playing Links on their 386-based PC?

even more? visit the forums over at ea.com - they have DISABLED THE SEARCH FEATURE. so many customers are having so many problems and bitching so loudly that EA found it necessary to try to turn the gaming community's anger on itself. I mean, how many times have you seen someone ask a question that's been asked for the 1 billionth time, and some retard "net flexer" has to wield his tiny e-penis and belittle the guy w/the question. it's the perfect solution to a terrible problem - make support as scarce as possible, and find a way to get the gamers to not bother talking to each other. check for yourself if you dont believe me.

back to Crysis - EA (for obvious reasons) NEEDS Crysis to hit store shelves just in time for the Christmas season, after their ENORMOUS advertising campaign. but, the game's not ready - crashes, half-baked multiplayer and the biggest problem: IT RUNS TERRIBLY ON VISTA. but wasnt this supposed to be the first great attack of DX 10? a groundbreaking game that people will be talking about the same way they talk about Super Mario Bros. or Zelda...but it plays like a scratched DVD. but to EA, a finished game doesnt matter - it's just gotta make it out the door in time for Santa to come and put it in his bag. they'll release a few patches, and in the end Crysis will be remembered for what it could've been. just like what's happening to MOH:A - an absolutely fantastic addition to a solid WWII franchise...if you can play it

buy Vista - in fact, buy Ultimate and enjoy all the cool new stuff you can do with it. look at the version comparison page over at M$'s website and try to imagine how much you're now able to do within Windows. and keep in mind that as you're growing into Vista, Vista will continue to grow on it's own - just like XP did.

EDIT - a few quick things:

- UAC can be disabled, but it shouldnt be. you of course decide whether or not you want it - but I'm ok w/it.

- the EA rant can be spread across any number of hardware/software companies, but probably to a lesser extent on average.

- if "you're" still running the same hardware that you did with Windows 98, it's not M$'s fault you need to upgrade.

- the EA rant can probably be applied to Vista to some extent, but there hasnt been a Windows release yet that hasnt experienced growing pains

I think that's it.

waco it's you againts the industry. vista is a flat out failure. MS admits it too. why do you think 7 is coming so soon? governments won't use vista, hospitals have banned it's use, banks have banned it's use... yeah, goes a long way to show the quality that vista isn't. big business IT has banished vista to that preverbial bottom drawer of a desk in a back room that no one sits at in the IT department... never to be inventoried as an asset.

and you want to talk about performance gains? how about the fact that most cad apps are listed as "non compatible" because they take longer to render a file than it would take to install vista with drivers, load the cad program, reformat with XP and drivers and install the cad app all over again... it's pathetic. link for the Vista lovers and another and why?

it makes some of the "work" us productive people use our graphics cards for useless.

Stop thinking in big business terms. I am not big business. The OP is not big business. Almost nobody on this site is big business. Why do you relate everything to what the industry is doing when this site is dedicated to personal computing and gaming? Microsoft has not admitted that Vista is a failure either...I don't know why you love posting that in every thread about Vista. I'm not sure what your point was in posting those links either considering they are VERY out of date. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index...446386#section4

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/news/press...e.html?prid=410

As for not reproducing you may wanna look around some more because we are not the only people having issues with loss of performance.

You're the only one I've seen claiming such drastic performance losses. Most places peg the losses between 0% and 10%, with a select few games that for some reason run badly getting up into the 20% range (though that number is getting smaller and smaller).