It's Modding Time Again

it didn't have as many views... cos who wanted to read through a bunch of nonsense really? hardly interesting reading... modding worklogs and overclocking threads get a lot more attention :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice clean build!!! very impressed. have you thought about your Hdd LED's and on and off push buttons. i was thinking maybe you could mount each mobo's *bits and buttons* in the left and right of the front of the fame. may seem a lot of work now to drill and feed the wires though the box but it would keep the tidy and hidden. maybe its a silly idea i donno lol!!

very nice clean build!!! very impressed. have you thought about your Hdd LED's and on and off push buttons. i was thinking maybe you could mount each mobo's *bits and buttons* in the left and right of the front of the fame. may seem a lot of work now to drill and feed the wires though the box but it would keep the tidy and hidden. maybe its a silly idea i donno lol!!

No.....I don't think that is a silly idea at all, especially since that is almost exactly what I had intended to do with the Power and Hard drive LED's :lol:

Back to the build (sorry about the delay) I finished the front panel...as I said in the original plan it is completely void of any switches or drives. It is made from 1/4" thick acrylic which I painted on the back side with gloss black acrylic lacquer and then cleared with acrylic lacquer. This made a very high gloss black panel when viewed from the front but I didn't want a black panel on the inside of the case so I decided to coat it with a product called "Killer Chrome" from Alsa.

Folding-Rig_68.jpg

You can change the way this product looks by the surface that you apply it to. It has to go over a black basecoat but you can change its gloss from a mirror finish (like chrome)to a semi gloss (like polished stainless steel) by how you prepare the surface. I was looking for a more dull stainless steel type look so I wetsanded the clear on the backside but did not buff it so that it retained a dull finish then coated it with the Killer Chrome. Here's how it turned out.

Folding-Rig_69.jpg

Next I started on the sidepanels....I had originally intended to use 3/32" acrylic but after my experience with it on the back panel (it took 8 screws to hold it flush to the frame) I turned to "Lexan".

Folding-Rig_60.jpg

It costs four times as much as acrylic but it cuts like butter, is easy to machine, sands like wood and most importantly stays flat as a sheet of iron even though it's only 3/32" thick.

Fun Facts:

1) Lexan is what all the scratch prone iPod bodies are made from (so I need to be careful when I clean it)

2) Lexan is the molecule that was flashed up on the Apple computer in the third StarTrek movie and dubbed "Transparent Aluminum"

Now pay attention to this next picture because there is something very wrong with it.....you see that vicegrip at the far right side?....you're not going to find that under the "Approved Clamping Devices" section of the "Machinist Handbook" but when you have to fit a piece of material that is physically bigger than the mill bed.....well....I did what I had to do and just stood back and prayed it didn't let go :lol:

Folding-Rig_61.jpg

From underneath you can see that it is quite a distance between the clamp points and it really doesn't matter what material you are trying to cut it is going to flex when you try to shove a 1/2" mill bit through it. To make cuts like this you have to use "Parallels" (the two thin bars) to support the material you are trying to cut.

Folding-Rig_62.jpg

Because of the way this PC is built the cpu on the left side sits at the top of the case and the cpu on the right side sits at the bottom. As thin as I managed to make the lit up "OCC" logo it still was not thin enough. When I installed it on the right side of the case, with the sidepanels on, the cpu on that side ran 12C hotter than the left side....it was just too close to the cpu fan. I tried cutting additional vents in the bracket but that still was not enough so I removed the device from the right side bracket.

Folding-Rig_64.jpg

Here are some pics of where I am now.

Folding-Rig_67.jpg

Folding-Rig_65.jpg

Folding-Rig_66.jpg

At this point at least 90% of the fabrication is complete.....to finish it I need to completely tear it down then reassemble it.

Tomorrow (Sunday) my son and I are going to the "NHRA GatorNationals", Monday I leave for Alabama for the next five days so it will be a little while before the next update....sorry B:)

Nice job Fueler, have you been folding with it any yet?

Yes :)

Stats.jpg

Great progress so far. Enjoy the Gator nats.

There's nothing like a bunch of Nitro Burners pounding the pavement to get you're spirits up :lol:

Yea enjoy the Gator nationals they are a blast. They will be here next I guess. 2007 O'REILLY NHRA SPRING NATIONALS, MARCH 30-APRIL 1, HOUSTON, TEXAS 2007

You have got to go if you can.....it's one of the "greatest shows" on earth B:)