It's Modding Time Again

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope no one decides to stick there hand on top of that exposed PSU :lol: (

Ingenious work :D

Well it would be the last time they did that :lol: When it's finished though there will be a wooden end cap that covers the top B:)

i assume you're going to stain the wood? I'm anxious to see the finished product :D

Yeah the rest of my furniture is more or less a red oak but I'm starting to get a soft spot for the lighter color :lol:

If nrg and Fueler got together they would bring jets down with their giant brainstorm of casemod ideas. The case would beat the pants off anything that ever lived.

More likely is that nrg would be watching Fueler work and drink all his beer.

This case mod is looking good so far (from the technical part). I can't wait to see all the little things you do to it for asthetics.

Edited by Vasto

It's 1:30am friday and it is finally up and running with both boards. The voltage readings on both boards are identical and did not drop even a tenth of a volt from the readings I got with just a single board running. Now I can go to bed and actually get some sleep :)

It's 1:30am friday and it is finally up and running with both boards. The voltage readings on both boards are identical and did not drop even a tenth of a volt from the readings I got with just a single board running. Now I can go to bed and actually get some sleep :)
If a good quality 510 can run 2 stripped down E6300's, do you think a 1000 would run 4?

That would be nice cluster to have if you could run it off of 1 PSU and place them in a single case as you have done...

If a good quality 510 can run 2 stripped down E6300's, do you think a 1000 would run 4?

I wish I had an answer for you but I honestly don't know. Four PC's in one case is a lot of heat though.....I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

I've made a little more progress so I'll catch you up with what I have done recently.

I've finished up the main bulk of the wiring. Not only did I have to double up on all the connectors but I also had to convert both ATX connectors from 20pin to 24pin. I used a spare connector from a dead PSU and cut out the sections I needed to make two 4pin additions to the 20pin connectors and then swapped out the wire for the right colors.

You can kind of get an idea from the pic below....I was about a third of the way done here....the 4pin addition is plugged in but the wires still need to be changed to the right colors.

Folding-Rig_36.jpg

I thought up all kinds of fancy ways to mount the hard drives but sometimes the simplest way is the best way.

Two aluminum bars mounted to the center of the case will hold one drive on each side offset slightly so that the drives line up with where the ribbon cables are.

Folding-Rig_37.jpg

Folding-Rig_38.jpg

Here's a quick look from the left, right, front and rear of the case with most of the components installed.

Folding-Rig_39.jpg

Folding-Rig_40.jpg

Folding-Rig_41.jpg

Folding-Rig_42.jpg

This next part I wasn't really looking forward to doing because I knew it was going to be a pain and time consuming but it needed to be done and I'm glade to have it over with.

Since I bought OEM boards they came barebones including no IO shields so I had to measure where everything was and then cut them out on the mill.....a slow and tedious process because if you try to go too fast the acrylic just explodes into pieces.

Folding-Rig_43.jpg

But I finally got it finished and installed....just a little cleanup left to do on the edges.

Folding-Rig_44.jpg

Well not a lot of progress this time but I'm slowly getting there B:)

eek2.gif Wow, that looks amazing. I agree, the clear back is cool, and very nicely done. I like the offset hard drives too. It has the added benefit of a little better cooling. I still wonder how great it is still having a third of the harddrives back-to-back, but I guess with just f@h running, there should hopefully not be too much heat generated from them.