It's Modding Time Again

I'm assuming you won't have any "handles" on the front/sides, so how do you plan to grip and remove the panels once they're attached? Are you going to be able to use the vent holes to pinch and pull them?

I'm sure you've got a plan for this, I'm just curious what it is :)

BTW, it's looking great. I too am excited to see the stain.

Yeah the vent holes make a pretty good handle, once the side panels are off its easy to grip the edges of the front bezel B:)

I never stated it at the begining of all this but one of the main reasons I wanted to use aluminum tubing for the frame was because it is lightweight. The steel framed PC I've made are ball busters to move around.

I also went with thin acrylic (later switched to Lexan) for the side and rear panels to help keep the weight down. There's not much I could do about the electronics that went into the case as far as cutting weight goes (although I did ditch most of the steel case around the power supply). I also used aluminum for all the mounting brackets and the mobo tray. I do however have two weight offenders in the case, the first was a design choice, the oak end caps and the second is because it is what I had laying around, the steel bars that hold the castors.

I learned a lot about shedding weight building Drag Bikes in my younger days. If it's made out of steel then remake it out of aluminum, if it's made out of aluminum then remake it out of magnesium, if its a body part acid dip it and if all else fails then drill holes into it till it looks like swiss cheese.

I used the swiss cheese method to lighten the wood and the steel bars.

Here's the oak caps after the treatment.

Folding-Rig_78.jpg

Folding-Rig_79.jpg

Here they are stained....can't clear them for at least 24 hrs. I struggled with which color to use but I finally settled on "Golden Oak" because I thought it would compliment the green lighting best.

Folding-Rig_80.jpg

I didn't have a scale to weigh anything but I can tell you just by picking them up that the two steel bars weighed more than the aluminum frame so I gave these the full swiss cheese treatment.

A before and after.

Folding-Rig_81.jpg

After paint.

Folding-Rig_82.jpg

Next I went to work on the Powersupply and hard drive brackets.

A before and after of the PSU support brackets.

Folding-Rig_83.jpg

You didn't think I was going to leave them the way they were did you?

Still working on the HD support brackets. B:)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like big boy's meccano :D

how did you get the textured inner section on the psu mounts did you mill it slightly, then mask it off and bead blast it?

Yep that's exactly what I did, it's milled about 1/64" deep. The bracket's already feather lite so removing a lot of material was not a priority.....just trying to make it more presentable B:)

Ok more stuff.

Here's a view of the bottom fully assembled with everything painted, stained and cleared.

Folding-Rig_86.jpg

Next I scrubbed the frame down first with 320 grit then 600 grit sandpaper and cleared it with Acrylic Laquer. The reason I cleared it was so the metal wouldn't tarnish when handled. The oil from your fingers leaves marks all over buffed aluminun, the clear eliminates that problem and can be wiped clean with a soft rag.

Folding-Rig_84.jpg

I drilled four holes in the front lower part of the frame for the power and hard drive LEDs.

Folding-Rig_87.jpg

Then I drilled four larger holes on the backside (just big enough to fit the LED body), inserted the LED and a rubber grommet to protect the wire from getting cut on the frame.

Folding-Rig_88.jpg

Here's a couple more pic's with the frame attached to the bottom endcap.

Folding-Rig_89.jpg

Folding-Rig_90.jpg

I knew from the very begining that I was going to have problems with wire management so I had convinced myself that it was ok if wires were running all over the place as long as they didn't obstruct airflow. But when I started the final assembly those wires started to drive me crazy and the more I tried to convince myself that it was ok the crazier I got.

I took it back apart and spent the next three or four hours with soldering iron in hand and tried every possible wiring route I could think of to clean up the mess.

This was the best I could do but under these circumstances it's better than it was.

Folding-Rig_91.jpg

Folding-Rig_92.jpg

Folding-Rig_96.jpg

Folding-Rig_97.jpg

Almost finished B:)

Finished.....except that I'm waiting on two green LED fans that I broke down and ordered (the freight's more than the fan) so it will be a few days before any night shots.

Folding-Rig_102.jpg

Folding-Rig_101.jpg

Folding-Rig_98.jpg

Folding-Rig_100.jpg

Folding-Rig_99.jpg

B:) :foldon:

WOW - this is just beyond awesome Fueler! Actually, I'm kind of sorry to see it come to a close as I have enjoyed following your progress so much and was constantly awed by your design and skills!!

For those of you who have enjoyed this even half as much as I have, please take a moment to 91x17-digg-button.gif if you haven't already.

OK Fueler - I'm ready for your next masterpiece!