Vista goes gold oline!

kendellrt

So realistically does anyone know who is really to blame for the drivers? I agree with Bigred they seem to be way behind the 8 ball, but I don't understand who has dropped the ball on this one? Doesn't Microsoft provide companies with beta code plenty of time before release so they can make sure their driver is ready to go? So who is at fault here M$ or the other guys?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So realistically does anyone know who is really to blame for the drivers? I agree with Bigred they seem to be way behind the 8 ball, but I don't understand who has dropped the ball on this one? Doesn't Microsoft provide companies with beta code plenty of time before release so they can make sure their driver is ready to go? So who is at fault here M$ or the other guys?

Probably a little bit of both. Personally though, I'd pit more of the blame on the manufacturers, because like you said, they've had the time to get it done.

dont upgrade to vista unless you have a dual core or 2gb of ram. both is the best but if you dont have either vista will run games so slow at a loss of 40-50fps with the same video card.

I noticed with vista I was unable to connect to the schools wireless network for 2 reasons, one vista did not like my Microsoft wireless adapter...and 2 the Cysco Clean Access Agent was not able to be installed on vista, only xp and 98...im sure something have been changed since RC1, but thats another reason I didnt like vista and uninstalled it...

I mean like how many times can you reinstall with an OEM? Say like I reformat once in awhile for some reason, can I always reformat and install? Also what do I miss from Ultimate as a gamer? If OEM lets me unlimited reinstall as long as I call microsoft or something then I'll get the cheaper Vista Ultimate OEM. If not I probably will get the Vista Home Prem retail.

I think from what I have heard that you can activate your product key 2 times in 6 months after that you have to call microsft to activate vista.

I think from what I have heard that you can activate your product key 2 times in 6 months after that you have to call microsft to activate vista.

If you don't make any hardware changes, theoretically you should have unlimited installs without having to call MS...at least that's how it's supposed to work; based on a points system...who knows if it really works that way.

I found a link that explains a few of the confusing questions about Vista EULA.

hxxp://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158

Something someone wrote on amazon "PCworld.com is reporting retail copies of the Vista OS will contain both a 32 and 64 bit versions. They don't cite their sources however, and it's unclear how this is implemented (seperate DVDs, etc.)."

Is that true? That retail versions will combine both 32 and 64-bit on one dvd so you can switch in between?

"It's true that both versions are supposed to be available on the same disc. Supposedly it should ask you on the first screen whether you want to install the 64bit or 32bit version after it checks to see if you have a 64bit processor. Otherwise it just gives the option for 32bit installation."

- Jake P

I decided on getting a retail copy of Ultimate, so far I have 307$ but I get a 90$ paycheck this Friday so it should cover the rest.

Edited by Krazyxazn

The way it works is that every Vista DVD contains a copy of every version of Vista. So a single disc will have Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc. Your product key activates the appropriate version.

I believe Microsoft stated that you would be able to upgrade from one version to the next with just a new product key since you already have the version you want on the DVD. So if you have Home Basic and want to upgrade to Home Premium, you pay the upgrade price (may not necessarily be the boxed upgrade price, possibly lower), MS sends you a different key, just pop in the disc you already own and you're good to go.

htxp://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/microsoft/vista/index.html

Staples offering free installation of Vista upgrade in-store today and tomorrow.

If you buy any copy of Vista they are giving free 1gb flash drives and free software.

They also have a $30 coupon for anything over than $150. Online sellers auto take away that $30, but Staples shows Ultimate at $400 without the coupon.

I really see nothing special about Vista apart from it been spruced up with all these new features and a better GUI. It's also a system hog meaning that I have to shovel out more of my pocket and and buy an entire new system.

I'd rather stick with good ol' XP Pro.....for a couple of years more.