Vista goes gold oline!

kendellrt

it's not like XP. it's designed for the average user who doesn't know or care what's going on behind the scenes. that's why it feels cumbersome to folks like us :( of course it's totally new way of getting to things forces professionals in the IT field to get new certs thus more $$$ to MS. face it if you could do it in 2000 pro you could do it in XP, and that's why the MCP / MCSE didn't get a major overhaul just for XP. it IS going to require one for Vista.

stabilty wise... eh... needs some time. drivers are the reason I'm going ballistic over it. I worked in the division of MS's WHQL labs that did all the testing for brief time. and I don't understand how they can be this far behind the 8 ball on drivers now.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded RC1 64 bit edition and I didnt like it at all...it was alot differnt than xp...i agree with bigred, it is not that stable, at least RC1 was not, so i didnt even try RC2, but I can only imagine that it was not much better

The thing that bugged me about Vista is not having full administrator access...is there a way around that? I'm the only one that uses my computer at home, I trust myself and should be able to do what I want when I want ;)

true that...there has to be a reg entry that could grant you full access...

I uninstalled RC1 but if you still have it installed maybe try Start > Run > control userpasswords2 > Advanced Tab > Advanced button > find username and right click properties > Member tab...etc.

Dont even know if control userpasswords2 works on Vista, i know it does on XP, its work a shot...

The thing that bugged me about Vista is not having full administrator access...is there a way around that? I'm the only one that uses my computer at home, I trust myself and should be able to do what I want when I want ;)

Turn off UAC, and the pop-ups go away!

If you are an Administrator and not a Standara user. There is no more "Administrator" account. If you are the admin, sometimes you have to log on in safe mode and take full control of a folder or file, and sometimes to apply a reg patch. It is a very good option for those with kids that like to click on lots of stuff. I really like the parental controls, also.

If you are an Administrator and not a Standara user. There is no more "Administrator" account. If you are the admin, sometimes you have to log on in safe mode and take full control of a folder or file, and sometimes to apply a reg patch. It is a very good option for those with kids that like to click on lots of stuff. I really like the parental controls, also.

But that's exactly what I don't want. I'm all for that option, but for us more advanced users and/or those that don't have a household full of kids, I want unbridled access to anything and everything like I do in XP.

But that's exactly what I don't want. I'm all for that option, but for us more advanced users and/or those that don't have a household full of kids, I want unbridled access to anything and everything like I do in XP.

You are the kind of person that could simply turn off UAC, and if you are the only account, you are automatically the admin.

I really have liked Vista, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is a welcome change. We will learn how to tweak it just like we did with the other OSs. Remember: When Windows 95 came out, it sucked, and Win3.11 was better. When Win98 came out, it sucked, and Win95 was better. We can skip over the part about ME, it just sucked!. And, finally, when WinXP came out, it sucked, and Win98se was better. At least we all thought so. Has anything really changed?

You are the kind of person that could simply turn off UAC, and if you are the only account, you are automatically the admin.

I really have liked Vista, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is a welcome change. We will learn how to tweak it just like we did with the other OSs. Remember: When Windows 95 came out, it sucked, and Win3.11 was better. When Win98 came out, it sucked, and Win95 was better. We can skip over the part about ME, it just sucked!. And, finally, when WinXP came out, it sucked, and Win98se was better. At least we all thought so. Has anything really changed?

Exactly. People don't like change, even if it is for the better.