Vista goes gold oline!

kendellrt

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the kind of person that could simply turn off UAC, and if you are the only account, you are automatically the admin.

I really have liked Vista, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is a welcome change. We will learn how to tweak it just like we did with the other OSs. Remember: When Windows 95 came out, it sucked, and Win3.11 was better. When Win98 came out, it sucked, and Win95 was better. We can skip over the part about ME, it just sucked!. And, finally, when WinXP came out, it sucked, and Win98se was better. At least we all thought so. Has anything really changed?

Actually I loved WinXP after the first day I had it installed.

But anyways, okay, so yeah, I can turn off UAC and I'm automatically the "administrator", but wouldn't Vista still force me to to into safe mode for certain things? That's what I don't like.

bigred, good point about in domains, i never even thought of that...probably because there's no way we're upgrading to Vista at my job...hell, we still have some machines running win2k, which is annoying enough (not saying win2k is bad per se, but WinXP is a little more robust, plus it's annoying having multiple OS's).

But anyways, okay, so yeah, I can turn off UAC and I'm automatically the "administrator", but wouldn't Vista still force me to to into safe mode for certain things? That's what I don't like.

There was only one reg tweak I had to boot into safe mode to use during the many months I used the Beta and RC versions.

There was only one reg tweak I had to boot into safe mode to use during the many months I used the Beta and RC versions.

okay, so maybe I'm overexaggerating a bit...but still, it's a little annoying knowing there's always that possibility ;)

I was not looking forward to Vista until I got RC1 installed on my laptop. It's sleek, just as fast as XP, and, as many have said before, a welcome change. Once it gets up and running and bugs are fixed (I really haven't found any in the few applications I've been using. Vista seems to be fairly stable out of the box, unlike XP's initial release), Vista can be a very powerful OS. Needless to say, Vista gets my vote.

I liked Cnet's review of Windows Vista.

One part that stuck out in particular:

Is Windows Vista a bad operating system? No. It's just a disappointment for PC users who hoped that Microsoft would deliver something truly exciting to finally leapfrog ahead of Apple. They failed. But stick around; this is just Windows Vista 1.0. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is due out sometime before the end of the year. Windows Vista SP1 promises to fix what's known to be wrong within Windows Vista and should offer a few concrete reasons to switch.

I don't understand how they can be this far behind the 8 ball on drivers now.

Oh No! bigred just gave away a company secret.

Man #1: "Will this driver work on Vista."

8 - Ball: "Maybe"

Man #2: "Dude, let me try."

Can someone explain to me how an OEM Operating Systems work?

Or should I just save my money and get the retail?

What am I missing if I buy the Home Premium instead of Ultimate?

Basically OEM is just the DVD and the Prod Key, no retail packaging. In this case, there is option to have it installed on more than one PC at a time, either. Vista retail is supposed contain a liscence for multiple PCs. You can also install the OS with an OEM disk using anybody's Prod Key. For example, your buddy needs to reinstall his OS, but his DVD is to scratched to even be read. He does have the Prod Key, though. He can install with your disk and his key. This cannot always be done with full retail/upgrade packages; they will only accept keys from the certain time they were produced. You can try the install with them, but it will most likely fail with an invalid product key error.

Here is a link to the different versions: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getr...ns/default.mspx

I mean like how many times can you reinstall with an OEM? Say like I reformat once in awhile for some reason, can I always reformat and install? Also what do I miss from Ultimate as a gamer? If OEM lets me unlimited reinstall as long as I call microsoft or something then I'll get the cheaper Vista Ultimate OEM. If not I probably will get the Vista Home Prem retail.

I mean like how many times can you reinstall with an OEM?

There is no limit as far as I know. It's just the OS disc and the serial key. You can reinstall it as many times as you can reinstall the Retail version of Vista, though both versions might make you call in for registration after you use the product key x number of times within 6 months, for security purposes. No big deal though.