Vista goes gold oline!

kendellrt

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, released a week before it launches...

Oh, and it does have anti-virus and anti-spyware, the former you can get from Microsoft as part of the Live Care package and latter comes installed as Windows Defender

Interesting, released a week before it launches...

Oh, and it does have anti-virus and anti-spyware, the former you can get from Microsoft as part of the Live Care package and latter comes installed as Windows Defender

From what I understand, Live One Care sucks.

It acually has a good virus, spyware detection rate, its problems are all bugs... But that was mounths ago :P.

Now i know this has been asked many times buttt, somebody on newegg <_< said that sence its a oem version u can only install it on one computer and not able to transfer it to a hole new computer.... Any truth behind that.

I probably wont be buying that for at least 5 months, probably more unless its really that big of a upgrade.

i already have vista final release. i got it off msdnAA through my account at school. it sucks.. so i did.. format c:\ *.* lol and xp was right back on it.. its slow.. and 1/2 of my apps dont work.. and its very confusing and not strait froward at all. my CS department despises it and refuses to upgrade even though we get the software basically for free.

if you have to use vista.. use NOD32 for anit virus.. by eset.. its the best anti virus around .. bar none

Edited by asus

:withstupid:

I keep telling myself that it wasn't a bad experience and I restart my computer and load Vista. Then I remember why I hated it so much and I'm back in XP within 10 minutes.

It just functions so counter intuitively. It's as if Microsoft literally went out of their way to make the OS as hard as possible to use. If they were trying to make things easier for the technically illiterate, they definitely did the exact opposite. I will definitely be waiting for a service pack before I even CONSIDER using it as a main OS. Until then, I'm using my Mac for the eye candy.

looks like only the 32-bit versions are being sold online?

I tried Vista build 5384 and it sucked royally. It was pretty to look at, but it moved slower than pond water. RC1 changed my mind about Vista. I have the 32 bit version running on my laptop and it's just as fast as XP ever was, plus I enjoy having the media center software built in. The only real difference I notice is physical memory usage (350mb used just to sit at the desktop. Open media center and it jumps to 450). But I figure as long as you have at least a gig of RAM in your system you'll be OK. 2 gigs will definitely be a must for gaming rigs, though. What was this that I haerd about Vista ultimate having a service that cuts back on all the expendable physical memory and dedicates it to games that demand it?

Most of my issues where easily solved (The HL2 stuff). Yes the default file navigation is weird. Yes you can go back to the old way. The one issue that truly drives me crazy is this: I had problems with copy and paste with rich text boxes in Fire Fox 2. I had fixed this under XP. So I googled how to fix that again. Vista will not let me into the folders that supposedly contain the FF profile stuff. So strike one goes to FF for creating the problem in the first place and strike 2 goes to vista for not letting me fix it. So I went back to IE for work purposes. Other then that pretty nice. I dig the side bar and arrow glass.

yes.. but i mean.. none of its really that functional.. there are plenty of secondary apps that can do what vista does visually, without having to go out and drop a bazillion dollars. yeah.. eye candy is nice, but functionality is more important.

the thing i like about os x. you can still have eye candy without loss of functionality. everything is very easy to move around it, and since its unix, if your a unix buff like me, you can always open up a terminal window and do everyday unix commands. :) which is nice!

windows, with there new start menu, and there new unorganized way of controlling things, you never know what preference is in what folder and in what panel and where that panel would even be found.. although there new search featur is nice, its a direct copy of spotlight, which still works better after testing the two.

I have been testing Vista for a long time. When RC1 and RC2 came around my whole family could use it as our primary OS. My wife thinks it is great, if that means anything to you. It is a solid OS. You can disable all of the stuff you don't want turned o just like in XP. I'm sure the FF issue was something to do with file permissions which have to be changed in safe mode by taking full control of the file. As for the user friendly aspect of it all, I'm sure they will make some changes to it, but you can turn UAC off and rely on the great parental controls. I gamed on Vista with no issues at all. The biggest problem right now is that vendor support is still lacking, not so much in the driver dept now, but in apps.

As for the EULA, it is not true that you are stuck with it. It is basically the same as XP. They want to limit piracy more this go round...good luck.

There is a 64-bit OEM, I'd just have to find the link.