Manual Vs Automatic Transmissions

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...if your car has anywhere near enough power to get the front wheels off the ground you'd need some SERIOUS 4-way discs on there to even think about giving anything past 1/2 throttle with the brake down. More then likely will snap an axle or power straight through the brakes, burning them up o.o.

507397[/snapback]

:withstupid:

what an excellent way to screw-up your engine at the same time... :lol:

if you're in the city, an automatic would be a better choice as going up and down the gears at every light becomes annoying. If you have lots of open road, and like controlling the feel and performance of your car, get yourself a manual.

Just wanted to voice in. Just bought a 2005 Dodge Charger and it has what they call an "Autostick", where it is in Drive, but I can tap the shifter left and it will switch to manual shifting for high revs, etc. I have a lot of fun with it, but I like being able to just throw it in Drive after work and lazily get home.

507402[/snapback]

heard that's nice. a great blend of both worlds.

and yes I have popped the front end of the bronco off the ground... so far that it maxed out the suspension travel (with over 30" of travel on the front axle). yes it has 4 wheel disc breaks, and YES I've snapped axles trying that while going into a mud bog to race :) it's always a big deal when a full sized truck pops it's front end up like that and still keeps going forward!

Manual all the way! I have had both, and I wouldn't even think of going auto again. In fact, when I was shopping for my focus, the dealers found tons of autos for me at really good prices, but I refused to buy them.

It kind of depends on the car too though. A big motor car is (generally) going to make a lot of power at lower RPMs and therefor would probably be more fun with an auto, compared to a smaller engine with an auto. With a big motor car, you don't need to do clutch drops and big pre-revs to get a "fun" launch, while with a small motor you may. I have driven civic/focus style cars with autos, and they're just dogs. In a small car with a 2.0 or so motor, a manual will make a BIG deal. Overall, I'd say manual no matter what kind of car you get, but just some comparison for you.

As far as those "manumatics"/"tiptronics"/etc... I think those things suck. A LOT. Having driven a real manual, I just hate the delay that they have between shifts. Some models are better than others, but I haven't driven one yet that had a short enough shift delay to make me like it. I drove my parents' new 325i when they first got it, and after about 2 minutes of the auto-stick, I threw it back into regular auto. The delays were too frustrating for me. Now if you've never driven a real manual, then the auto-stick style might be fun, who knows....

And don't let people tell you that manuals are a pain to drive. For the first week or two, it takes some getting used to, but after that, you don't even think about it at all. Except in traffic jams :P

:withstupid:

what an excellent way to screw-up your engine at the same time... :lol:

507485[/snapback]

Good thing that the only thing that it could hurt is the transmission, brakes and POSSIBLY the supension. The engine would keep going but most likely the tranny would be gone if anything.

Your friend probably knew how to drive, he just drove a little more crazy than you.

507225[/snapback]

i didnt mean to insuinate you didnt know how to drive one or anything like that. i'm just stating general facts of use to all in attention.

heh heh. you didnt read one little part....i drove the hell outta that car...and i mean it. college had 4 good years of practicing rally driving on my way to and from the airport down a swervy twisty gravel road on a daily basis (rear drive car...4-speed) almost got thrown in jail for it too. to make the car do all kinds of crazy stuff theres all kinds of crazy things you can do.......not to mention the u-joints that kept going out and dont even get me started on the blown struts :)

and my friend was a very $h!tty granny driver.

As far as those "manumatics"/"tiptronics"/etc...  I think those things suck.  A LOT.  Having driven a real manual, I just hate the delay that they have between shifts.  Some models are better than others, but I haven't driven one yet that had a short enough shift delay to make me like it.  I drove my parents' new 325i when they first got it, and after about 2 minutes of the auto-stick, I threw it back into regular auto.  The delays were too frustrating for me.  Now if you've never driven a real manual, then the auto-stick style might be fun, who knows....

507678[/snapback]

supposedly the SMG in the M3 can do a full shift in like 0.8s. Not even an experienced driver can beat that. Here is a quote from a review on the transmision:

SMG II is twice as fast with quickest shift time of 80 milliseconds vs. Ferrari's quickest shift time of 150 millisecond (Similar to M3's S2 or A2 selection)

I don't think you would feel any lag in that. Although i think you can only get the SMG in BMW's M series and possiblly the Z4. I think in europe you can get it on the 3 series but not in the US. I think this will be the transmission of the future haha

Good thing that the only thing that it could hurt is the transmission, brakes and POSSIBLY the supension. The engine would keep going but most likely the tranny would be gone if anything.

507842[/snapback]

The engine isnt totally safe from harm - "The engine would keep going" is the problem. If the axle snaps while being held the engine will overrev like crazy. Thats just a bad idea in general..."redlines" are red for a reason :lol:

Even if the axle doesnt snap and you think you pulled it off fine(like bigred can do in his suped up truck(btw I'd LOVE to see that!)), the axle, esp. lighter alum axles people put in RWD cars for better acceleration, can twist or warp at the joints, then the vehicle vibrates like a cellphone on silent at highway speeds :lol:

The engine isnt totally safe from harm - "The engine would keep going" is the problem. If the axle snaps while being held the engine will overrev like crazy. Thats just a bad idea in general..."redlines" are red for a reason
Edited by bigred

I think Big Red lives in a junkyard...

Anyway, when I get my new car, it's going to be manual. The main reason is I need to learn how to drive one, the other because I want to feel in control. I hate AutoSticks and all of those things, most of them seem to have a life of their own, shifting whenever they want to. I want to be in control of when I downshift and upshift, not some computer.