Manual Vs Automatic Transmissions

Yeah manual transmissions are a lot more fun I think, just having the control over the gears is what I like. But is kinda tricky when eating or talking and trying to turn a corner from stop.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

manuals are better on mileage.

automatics suck up more power and are usually 1 or 2 mpg less than a manual. do not slip the clutch. on hills use the brakes. dont ever balance the car on clutch/gas. and when you downshift, dont just let out the clutch...thats bad on the clutch, and horrible on the tranny synchros!!. just for kicks go drive a ford focus auto and a focus manual and youll see exactly what im talking about. the auto version seems to wheeze in comparison. treat it righ tand youll be fine. i made a clutch last 140k and i drove the hell outta that car...but i knew how to shift it right in all occasions and that was the difference. whereas my buddy burned one out at 65k cause he had no idea what a clutch really mechanically did.

now for the reality:

an auto is so much easier to drive. you can drink that 72 oz. beverage and talk on your cell phone at the same time...try doing that with a manual (although i once ate a chilli dog with a manual successfully) but the manual gives you control over your engine, and thats the big point here. I cant tell you how many times with my automatic S-10 v6, that it decided to downswhift on acceleration when it was totally unwarranted. thats the kind of control i want. i decide when to shift. the auto decided for you whats best for you, but its lacking in judgement.

I like manual myself. All the reasons I like manual over auto has already been mentioned at least once. better gas mileage, cheaper, more fun to drive, having more control, etc.

There are only two reasons why I would ever buy an auto over a manual and one reason is I can't find the car or truck I want with a manual transmission or I am just feeling old and lazy and don't want to have to bother with shifting lol.

i made a clutch last 140k and i drove the hell outta that car...but i knew how to shift it right in all occasions and that was the difference. whereas my buddy burned one out at 65k cause he had no idea what a clutch really mechanically did.

507148[/snapback]

I understand what a clutch does and I know how I am supposed to drive it, but I will probably lose one around 65k miles because "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" (super gay quote) actually because Im not the nicest person on my trucks clutch (lots of dropping it and slipping it on hills because I think that using the parking brake is for pussies). Your friend probably knew how to drive, he just drove a little more crazy than you.

No it doesnt, ever heard of brake boosting??

507221[/snapback]

er....you need rear wheels to drive the vehicle to get the front up when you accellerate...seen the last drag on the fast and furious? (lol, lame example, but the one most ppl will know) well, it's a rwd muscle car. a fwd wouldn't physically be able to bring the entire front end of the car into the air, surely?

maybe i'm wrong or seriously tired and am thinking like a tard, but, im pretty sure that a car that accellerates with it's front two wheels may encounter a spot of bother trying to accellerate if it has no traction because it's wheels are 3 feet in the air :lol:

aaaaand i prefer manual shifting. because, it's easier to shift down a gear (tapping the gas twice to the floor is annoying), and if you have bends in the road like we do in the UK, driving is more controllable and fun.

they both have their ups and downs. thats why when i get my BMW M3 when i get out of school, i'm gonna get the SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox). Its like an Automatic Manual haha. Basically, you can put it in manual mode and change the gears yourself (w/ levers or stick), or you can put it in Auto mode and choose the driving style (Sport or Regular i think. not sure what they call them). So basically, if i feel like i need more control on hills or whatever, i can do manual, and if im in traffic or im just feeling lazy, Auto it is! Oh also, this transmission can shift better than any Human Being out there. it makes a perfect shift evertime and can do it in 0.8ms. The nice thing about it is, even in manual mode, it is clutchless and all controlled by the computer so all the parts last longer since they are moved almost perfectly. Eh, thats my dream car. i can't wait.

Auto:

Pros -

Easy to drive, you never knwo who might need to move the car etc.

More n00b friendly, hard to screw up if your just learning to drive

Newer autos tend to be getting close to the same or even better performance than the manuals.

Can we say eating while driving....

Cons -

Costs more

Costs more to fix

Costs more to drive (fuel economy)

no where near as fun

Manual:

Pros -

fun fun fun fun fun

better fuel economy

cheaper

Cons-

Takes more "ability" to drive.

Lets try that eatign while driving thign again, sucked right after i bought this cavilier (5 speed) i stoppd by Wendys and got my usual burger, fries, drink, and well it's a pain in the @$$ to shift with a classic double in your hand.... (btw still have the Silverado (auto))

I persoanlly dont care what the next truck i buy has, it'll prob be a 3/4 ton with a manual, but for the little car i drive to save money it has to be a 5 speed or idk if i could handle it....(yeah i hate little cars, yet i just bought one :lol:)

er....you need rear wheels to drive the vehicle to get the front up when you accellerate...seen the last drag on the fast and furious? (lol, lame example, but the one most ppl will know) well, it's a rwd muscle car. a fwd wouldn't physically be able to bring the entire front end of the car into the air, surely?

maybe i'm wrong or seriously tired and am thinking like a tard, but, im pretty sure that a car that accellerates with it's front two wheels may encounter a spot of bother trying to accellerate if it has no traction because it's wheels are 3 feet in the air :lol:

aaaaand i prefer manual shifting. because, it's easier to shift down a gear (tapping the gas twice to the floor is annoying), and if you have bends in the road like we do in the UK, driving is more controllable and fun.

507292[/snapback]

I never said anything about FWD....read the post. He said you need a manual transmission to get the front wheels off the ground which is not true. In a turbo car with a auto there is something called brake boosting. You keep your foot on the brake and your other foot on the acceleration pedal to build boost and when you lauch.....boom, wheels off the ground if you have enough power. Or you can use a trans brake if your transmission has one(which I doubt anyone here has).

Edited by jkdmaster

I never said anything about FWD....read the post. He said you need a manual transmission to get the front wheels off the ground which is not true. In a turbo car with a auto there is something called brake boosting. You keep your foot on the brake and your other foot on the acceleration pedal to build boost and when you lauch.....boom, wheels off the ground if you have enough power. Or you can use a trans brake if your transmission has one(which I doubt anyone here has).

507392[/snapback]

...if your car has anywhere near enough power to get the front wheels off the ground you'd need some SERIOUS 4-way discs on there to even think about giving anything past 1/2 throttle with the brake down. More then likely will snap an axle or power straight through the brakes, burning them up o.o.

Just wanted to voice in. Just bought a 2005 Dodge Charger and it has what they call an "Autostick", where it is in Drive, but I can tap the shifter left and it will switch to manual shifting for high revs, etc. I have a lot of fun with it, but I like being able to just throw it in Drive after work and lazily get home.