Manual Vs Automatic Transmissions

What are the advantages to both? Based on what I've heard, manuals tend to be cheaper and, if used by an experienced driver, last longer than automatic transmissions.

But, you guys are the experts. Which is better, and why?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on how you drive.

pulling the front end off the ground (assuming you're in a RWD car) requires a manual

heavy duty offroading is better off with a manual too... only because you need the ability to rev the engine HARD then let it rip... just like coming off a light hard.

for daily driving... an automatic is fine. the myth that they last longer is just that... a myth. Infact I'd say it's more than likely the other way around.

for daily driving...  an automatic is fine.  the myth that they last longer is just that... a myth.  Infact I'd say it's more than likely the other way around.

506974[/snapback]

<_< Manual tranny's DO last longer assuming that you don't abuse them. If you abuse them, the only thing that usually breaks is the clutch, which is a simple and relatively cheap repair. You will get better gas mileage and more power to the wheels with a manual transmission also.

Not to mention they are a hell of a lot more fun to drive. :P

<_< Manual tranny's DO last longer assuming that you don't abuse them.  If you abuse them, the only thing that usually breaks is the clutch, which is a simple and relatively cheap repair.  You will get better gas mileage and more power to the wheels with a manual transmission also.

506977[/snapback]

I have yet to see a person that drives a stick and doesn't abuse it a bit, I think I am extra hard on mine...(burnouts are fun)

well, manuals get better gas mileage, they are more efficient at delivering power to the wheels (if u have a 300hp motor, you will have closer to 300hp to the wheels with a manual)

sticks are more fun to drive (most of the time, it sucks when u are on the phone or eating with a manual).

manuals are generall quicker than autos if u are a good shifter (ex. say you had an auto chevy camaro Z28 vs a manual z28, if u are a decent shifter, the manual will win.)

auto's are less hassle, and shift smoother.

just all around more conveinient (sp)

<_< Manual tranny's DO last longer assuming that you don't abuse them.  If you abuse them, the only thing that usually breaks is the clutch, which is a simple and relatively cheap repair.  You will get better gas mileage and more power to the wheels with a manual transmission also.

506977[/snapback]

I dunno, I've ripped up 3 ford C6's and a C9... all manuals, while only trashing a single E4OD. and these were not just burned out clutches... we're talking about stripped gears.

but it as all in the same truck... so that doesn't really count.

yeah the C9's are. but the C6 and E4OD share a lot of parts... though both are some of the toughest transmissions out there. both used on the ford super duties up until the 97 change over.

I say manual mainly because they are better on fuel and you get slightly more power than auto. I drive an auto because I simply couldnt find a decent manual of the model of car that I wanted.