My name's not Ivy but...

IVIYTH0S

11 hours ago, IVIYTH0S said:

Wow that's alot of power supply, no second card in the future?

Budget allowing, i wouldn't mind getting another 2080, but that's really more of a vanity item at this point, I've only seen it pull over 600w while playing Modern Warfare with everything cranked to ultra, so at the very least this beast is going to be with me for awhile.

I'm mostly focusing on getting all my vehicles up and running now, I really need to find some cheaper hobbies :sweat:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DexRain said:

Budget allowing, i wouldn't mind getting another 2080, but that's really more of a vanity item at this point, I've only seen it pull over 600w while playing Modern Warfare with everything cranked to ultra, so at the very least this beast is going to be with me for awhile.

I'm mostly focusing on getting all my vehicles up and running now, I really need to find some cheaper hobbies :sweat:

SLI and crossfire are dead. Hardly any game support, worse frametimes. 

Better off saving that for a 3080Ti instead. Rumours put it at 350w just at stock, with more than 400w overclocked.

6 hours ago, ir_cow said:

These 1st Gen Threadrippers aren't the best in games. Its alright for light gaming, but I know i'm losing 30-40 FPS compared to a Ryzen 3800X.

Maybe, but it is still plenty fast in games for me and lets me also have three x264 encoding streams at the same time which I do need on occasion.

6 hours ago, Guest_Jim_* said:

Maybe, but it is still plenty fast in games for me and lets me also have three x264 encoding streams at the same time which I do need on occasion.

Yep, Threadripper has its place. I think OBS streaming with Geforce cards only allows two. I believe Quadros can do unlimited, but realistically 6 is the upper limit.

5 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Yep, Threadripper has its place. I think OBS streaming with Geforce cards only allows two. I believe Quadros can do unlimited, but realistically 6 is the upper limit.

Yeah, NVIDIA artificially limits GeForce cards to just two encoding streams, as a way to differentiate the Quadros. AMD doesn't have such a limit, which was one of the reasons I got the RX Vega 64 when I did, but then I built the 1950X system so shortly after I only did one set of recordings using it that way.

Of course being able to process those video streams (applying the overlays to the gameplay and re-encoding a smaller version of the gameplay at the same time) at a decent speed and while having largely full use of the system is another place for Threadripper, or at least any similarly high core count build.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:38 AM, DexRain said:

What's wrong with your vehicles? :whoa:

On 7/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, Nyt said:

SLI and crossfire are dead. Hardly any game support, worse frametimes. 

Better off saving that for a 3080Ti instead. Rumours put it at 350w just at stock, with more than 400w overclocked.

Either way, his PSU has extra time to degrade with all that overhead power haha

On 7/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, Guest_Jim_* said:

20 hours ago, ir_cow said:

15 hours ago, Guest_Jim_* said:

Yeah, NVIDIA artificially limits GeForce cards to just two encoding streams, as a way to differentiate the Quadros. AMD doesn't have such a limit, which was one of the reasons I got the RX Vega 64 when I did, but then I built the 1950X system so shortly after I only did one set of recordings using it that way.

Of course being able to process those video streams (applying the overlays to the gameplay and re-encoding a smaller version of the gameplay at the same time) at a decent speed and while having largely full use of the system is another place for Threadripper, or at least any similarly high core count build.

Atleast you're getting the most out of it then! Sounds like you're using it to its fullest. 

I definitely do put it to use. Been capturing horror gameplay with a real-time heart-rate monitor to overlay for years now, and then it occurred to me I could also capture entire game review playthroughs to share. Much prefer to use CPU-encoding I can more exactly control than a video card's ASIC, plus when applying a filter like an overlay, that requires the CPU anyway. Another advantage to CPU encoding is an identical software configuration produces identical quality, so I can run the code on any system and it is speed that will change. With ASIC encoding though, you can see things like Pascal NVENC being better than Turing NVENC under the same configuration.

Welp, thanks to the quarantine I'm back into reading and researching this expensive hobby. :pfp::yes:

I started buying parts for my new rig today. Luckily i have a decent income to support this. Not like 10 years ago when i was earning minimum wage :rofl:

I've also been reading old threads and reviews of hardware i used to own. So much nostalgia, especially looking at my old reviews! (Almost forgot I used to write for this site, even though it was just for little bit).

If you really want to take a trip down memory lane check out this awesome podcast about what computer hardware was like in 2009

https://www.hardwareasylum.com/podcast/nli_podcast_113

On 7/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, IVIYTH0S said:

What's wrong with your vehicles? :whoa:

I've got a small hoard of sub $1000 beaters that I'm too attached to, daily (93 Suburban) is getting rear brakes, tires, and a fuel filter done next week, Racecar (86 Plymouth Horizon), has the motor and trans built, but needs electrical, interior, floors, roll cage, and sub frame put in it, econo-box (91 Ford Festiva) needs the motor to be rebuilt and rear spindles, pickup (95 Dodge Dakota) needs tires, brakes, cooling system, and a motor rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 2:21 AM, damian said:

Welp, thanks to the quarantine I'm back into reading and researching this expensive hobby. :pfp::yes:

I started buying parts for my new rig today. Luckily i have a decent income to support this. Not like 10 years ago when i was earning minimum wage :rofl:

I've also been reading old threads and reviews of hardware i used to own. So much nostalgia, especially looking at my old reviews! (Almost forgot I used to write for this site, even though it was just for little bit).

If you really want to take a trip down memory lane check out this awesome podcast about what computer hardware was like in 2009

https://www.hardwareasylum.com/podcast/nli_podcast_113

Yeah it's crazy how the times have changed, I might be looking into a new GPU soon if my friend buys mine (he's borrowing it now and it's doing really well) 

On 7/25/2020 at 12:54 AM, DexRain said:

I've got a small hoard of sub $1000 beaters that I'm too attached to, daily (93 Suburban) is getting rear brakes, tires, and a fuel filter done next week, Racecar (86 Plymouth Horizon), has the motor and trans built, but needs electrical, interior, floors, roll cage, and sub frame put in it, econo-box (91 Ford Festiva) needs the motor to be rebuilt and rear spindles, pickup (95 Dodge Dakota) needs tires, brakes, cooling system, and a motor rebuild.

Oh wow a Plymouth Horizon! I had to look that one up but my neighbor had one of them (I think the dodge version though), didn't know they had such good power figures for the higher models, I'm impressed! That'll definitely be a sleeper for sure. 

You definitely have your work cut out for you and are better than be, I used to be such an avid wrencher now I want to do as little on my cars as needed because I'm lazy. Even oil changes I bitch and moan cursing ICEs for being so annoying. I actually have a plug-in Prius and we just got a Chevy Volt so we're gravitating more and more off of gas. Though I won't be getting an electric moto for a while so that is my only 100% gas vehicle right now... But one day...